Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Help me choose and bike (6'3", 240lbs)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am totally new to the world of bikes and have no clue where to start. Presently, I am 6'3" and 240 lbs). I want a bike that I could eventually ride long distances (100-150k) at a pretty decent speed. I have a decent fitness level too as i can run 5 miles comfortably in about 34 minutes. However, I realize that there could be a lot of differences between bike fitness and running fitness. Especially considering the distances I am looking at will take hours to complete, and the longest i've ever ran at decent speed is an hour. So I am looking at a bike that can take me from where I am now to where I want to be with little modification.

Overview:
-Sturdy frame
-Speed efficient
-Comfortable
-Versatile

I am still in college, so my budget is kinda limited. Anything over $750 will be too much. So a good value entry bike, or maybe a more advanced one a few years old. I don't know

Any Suggestions?

Thank you so much cause I don't even know where to start or what i'm talking about.
Old 12-22-07, 05:34 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go to multiple LBS's in your area and find one that treats you the best and test ride some bikes. Have them find the right size and setup for you. I don't think the brands matter all that much, but the LBS owner and employees matter more. I am 6'3" and have a 61cm Jamis Ventura Sport that I bought brand new this year. It was the dealer that made the difference for me in which type of bike I purchased. I basicall sold 4 more bikes for him in a little over a month.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 12-22-07, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I was in the same boat about a year ago. Take a little time and do research on the net and in local bike shops. Tell them you know little and are just trying to gget up to speed. As flip said, go to the one which treats you well. In the long run it will work out, especially when you need your wheels tweaked a little. Once you have an idea what you want, try craigslist also, then buy accessories from the lbs.

Steve
Old 12-22-07, 07:29 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would say up your budget to $1k and look around after Christmas for discounted models from last year.

Post your choices here and we can help you think through them.
Old 12-22-07, 07:31 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
At your weight, you shouldn't really have an issue with any bike.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-22-07, 08:07 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm only 220 and, in the past year, I've cracked a frame (bike originally cost $2k) and utterly destroyed a brand new wheel on the bike I replaced it with just from the stress of riding.
Old 12-22-07, 10:37 PM
I Design Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used bikes could be your best friend.

My recent road-bike budget was $1200. Instead of buying the NEW Tiagra/105 Lemond Tourmalet I originally wanted... I picked up a slightly used Cervelo Soloist Team that retailed for over $2300.

Keep your eyes out and you can find a nice, probably 105 level, used road bike that will do everything you need it to do.
Old 12-23-07, 08:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can buy used on craigslist or other places, but I wouldn't do that unless you knew they size of bike to make sure it would fit you and your riding style. I really don't think you will have a problem with the size you are and doing any damage to the bike or rims, unless you mash instead of spin.

Talk to the bike shops, as you might find them with a few bikes from 2006 still in stock in a box in the backroom or basement that they will discount. You can buy a more expensive bike at a good discount that way.

Good luck and let us know what you found out!!!!
Old 12-23-07, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're worried about durability and versatility, consider a touring bike. They're made to carry a load across the country. They usually have 36 spoke wheels. They usually have space for wide tires, which allows dirt/gravel road riding. New ones start aroung $900, but I see used ones on Ebay all the time that would fit within your budget.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-07, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your help. I went to a couple bike shops today and I really liked the Giant OCR 3 with a large frame, as the XL put too much weight on my arms. Here is a link to it.

https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...8_5668crx.aspx

I'm going to look around to see if i can find higher end bikes in that family at a cheap price.
Old 12-23-07, 05:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now you can look at Cannondale, Trek, Jamis, etc.... in the large and x-large frames and see who offers the better gear at a better price. But, also remember that the LBS that wants your business will also offer to service the bike after the sale without added costs involved.

As an example, where I bought my bike wanted the bike back after 100 miles to readjust all of the cables and to true the wheels and then again at 500 miles. They also do a free winter service for the first two years of ownership, where the other one I talked to were going to charge for a winter service and didn't offer to look at the bike after the first 100 miles or ever again.

My LBS also replaced my stock rims that I kept breaking spokes on with an upgraded set of rims for the model up from mine at no cost to me.

Good luck with your search and have fun with the new bike.
Old 12-23-07, 06:05 PM
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about your weight. You shouldn't have an issue with any bike. I would recommend looking for something on craigslist. You can save a ton of money by buying used.

I'm in a very similar situation, and I just bought a used bike for $600 recently. It's full 105 group, and I really love it so far. It's a 2004 Raleigh Supercourse. Anyways, you can get a lot of bike for $700 on craigslist. Check it out.
Old 12-26-07, 10:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had a budget and blew it. I got a deal of no payments, no interest for 12 months at my local LBS. Knowing I could afford over time, especially w/ the job I have lined up after graduation, I decided to splurge. I went with a 2008 Cannondale Six13 3c, with $1100 down. I tried about 7 or 8 different bikes of all prices and this one spoke to me. It just felt right. I love the feel, the speed, everything. I am already pretty fit and usually determined. Before i got the bike, i set my goal to do a sub 5hr century by May. I wanted a bike that could help me get there, then take me beyond.

I really like the LBS. I just stumbled upon it when I was driving today. They took off almost $200 off of my accessories. The were so nice. Also, when the last bike shop I used to go to closed down, they hired a lot of the workers from there, so it felt right. I found a great LBS to ride with, once I return back after school.

Thanks for all your help. I need to get some riding in tomorrow and need sleep.
Old 12-26-07, 10:55 PM
Getting Less Chunky

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh SuperCourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. It sounds like you got a great bike, and there's nothing better than a great LBS with great employees. I wish I had one in my area, but maybe I'll find one. Good luck riding. I hope you have thousands of great miles on that bike.
Old 12-26-07, 10:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great deal for you. I hope it works out!!!!!!!!!!!!