Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old pedals still good after rethreading cranks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been rebuilding my old '74 TdF Gitane. Everything is clean, greased and running fine now. The bike still has its old Ti clip pedals and I want to replace them with Speedplay X3 taken from another bike. The French thread on the cranks is 14 mm x 1.25 while the Sp pedals are 9/16 x 20 tpi. I can get the cranks rethreaded for the Sp, no problem.

My question is : after rethreading, will it still be possible, if need arises, to put back the old pedals without rethreading to french thread ? I fear the new ISO thread will be too big and the old pedals come loose... Or am I just drinking too much Porto ?
Old 12-29-07, 01:57 PM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Your old pedals will never fit again. Sell 'em on eBay or swap here on BF (C&V trade sticky) for something you need.

And good choice on the TdF
Old 12-29-07, 03:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tx Bob for your answer but it was a stupid question... I tried it, putting one of those old things onto my new bike. Well, it's not a perfect fit, the pedal is a little loose but it should hold just right with some grease and/or loctite and elbow torque.
Old 12-29-07, 04:28 PM
Gitane GranTour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would not gamble with it, if it does not fit just right (as in the threads match exactly, not just close enough with some glue) I could come off at any time with disastrous results. Nowhere near worth the risk involved.
Old 12-29-07, 07:43 PM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
9/16"x20 ~ 14.3mm x 1.27, so it's not a huge difference, but imagine stomping on those pedals up a 15% grade while standing, and that pedal flops out at the top of the stroke. Hope you're wearing a cup.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 12-29-07, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Don't do it. You can ruin the threads and then you'll be looking for a new crankset. Aluminum threads are easily ruined. It will be very expensive to replace it with another Stronlight 93.
Old 12-29-07, 10:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after reading your comments, I guess I will have to put up with those ti clip pedals, after all.

Thank u all...