Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from BruceH

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi from BruceH

I'm Bruce from Birmingham, England. Originally from Austin, TX, USA but married an English girl and the rest is history. I ride with my cycling club and like to do Audax (Brevet/Radonneur) rides. Just got a GPS for Xmas and trying to figure it out. Hopefully, there'll be some pointers on the forum.

I have a reynolds 853 tourer (Dawes) but finding it a bit slow for the fast club rides. So, I've ordered a titanium frame and hope I can better keep pace with the young kids. I'm an old goat at 58 but not quite ready for the back 40. I just pop the ibuprofen to keep my dodgy knees a going.

We (Mrs BruceH & I) belong to "Warm Showers" - it's an organization that provides hospitality for touring cyclists. So if you're biking thru central England we'll put you up for the night in our spare bedroom. There's quite a few of us here and in Europe. It's big in the States too. We just had a couple a few weeks ago from Juneau, Alaska stay with us. Just google warm showers if interested.

This looks like a massive collection of cyclists. So I guess I'll start reading some of the threads and see if I can learn something. All the best to everyone for the New Year!
Old 12-31-07, 02:50 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A pseudo-Brummie! Where do you live in Brum? Me mum's side of the family are from Brum.

We have a number of members who belong to Warm Showers, mostly in the Touring Forum. It's a great organisation from what I can see .

Welcome to BF!

East Hill
Old 12-31-07, 03:07 PM
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Bruce. I did the opposite, married an American girl and now live just outside Seattle.

I was originally from Suffolk.

Enjoy the forums.
Old 12-31-07, 05:20 PM
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums Bruce Wow! - you own a Dawes; - that's a make of bike that's been on my 'to find' list for quite a while now. If I was you, I would stick with the Dawes, but then I'm shockingly biased in favour of classic English bicycles.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 01-01-08, 09:19 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for making me feel welcome. This is an awesome forum... there's must be everything there is to know about bikes here and I haven't even scratched the surface.

East Hill, I live in Erdington just a couple of blocks from Pype Hayes park where they have the Guy Fawkes bon fire each year. My wife's the real deal Brummie but has lost her accent as we lived in the States 25 years before coming. Most think she's an Aussie.

I've yet to go to Suffolk, 2Wheeled. Hopefully this year I'll do an audax ride thru some of it. From where in Suffolk are you?

Hi Sianelle, my Dawes is not so vintage (2004) but it's a wonderful touring bike. I'm after a little more zip while I still have some left in me ; ) There's several guys in my club (N B'ham CTC) who collect vintage bikes and it's wonderful to see the old Hetchins, Carltons, BSAs, and many others. I'm pretty ignorant and never knew how big bicycle manufacturing was in England - quite a bit right here in Birmingham.
Old 01-01-08, 09:28 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceH
I'm pretty ignorant and never knew how big bicycle manufacturing was in England - quite a bit right here in Birmingham.
Bicycle manufacturing was a logical offshoot of gun making. My gggrandfather was a gun maker in the 1860s and 1870s, and I suspect that by the turn of the century that at least a few members of me mum's family were employed making bicycles.

Most of the family were in the Gun Quarter, but trickled out to Lady Wood as well.

East Hill
Old 01-01-08, 11:04 AM
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BruceH;5902755]Thanks for making me feel welcome. This is an awesome forum... there's must be everything there is to know about bikes here and I haven't even scratched the surface.

East Hill, I live in Erdington just a couple of blocks from Pype Hayes park where they have the Guy Fawkes bon fire each year. My wife's the real deal Brummie but has lost her accent as we lived in the States 25 years before coming. Most think she's an Aussie.

I've yet to go to Suffolk, 2Wheeled. Hopefully this year I'll do an audax ride thru some of it. From where in Suffolk are you?

Hi Sianelle, my Dawes is not so vintage (2004) but it's a wonderful touring bike. I'm after a little more zip while I still have some left in me ; ) There's several guys in my club (N B'ham CTC) who collect vintage bikes and it's wonderful to see the old Hetchins, Carltons, BSAs, and many others. I'm pretty ignorant and never knew how big bicycle manufacturing was in England - quite a bit right here in Birmingham.[/
QUOTE]

I'm from a little town called Saxmundham, it's 10 miles from the coast and dead center between Lowestoft & Ipswich.

For touring rides, I'd recommend the Lavenham/Sudbury area. It's a little west of Ipswich.
Old 01-01-08, 11:37 AM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't know Lowestoft was in Suffolk. I'm doing the Ardnamurchan to Lowestoft ride in May (most westerly point to the most easterly point in Great Britain. I'll try to check out Saxmundham on the way back to Brum. Will definitley look into a Lavenham/Sudbury ride - thanks.

Lady Wood ...where you find the best Balti-s in town!!! It always amazes me how you English can trace your ancestry so far back. I can go to my grandparents and then it's some stray dog or other.