Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Converting to Fixed Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-08, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 2011 Colnago World Cup, 2012 Eddy Merckx AMX-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Converting to Fixed Gear

Good day,

Does anyone in the Edmonton area know of a shop (or individual) where I can buy the necessary parts to convert a late 80's Nishiki International to a fixed-gear?

Cheers,

TN
Old 01-02-08, 11:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an old Nishiki that I updated, I did consider turning it into a fixed gear, and even started the process, but then I decided to turn it back into a 12 speed. I did learn a lot from riding one gear though, and often I don't bother shifting anymore, I think my experience with one speed made me much more content with fewer gears, and far less shifting.

Okay, but onto the fixed gear thing, Nishikis are easy to convert. Remove freewheel from rear hub - easy, and add a track cog. I think redbike would be the best for this if you don't want to do it yourself. What you will need to do is probably get a new chainring set, because if I remember Nishikis have lame-ass riveted chainrings. if you want to do it cheap, just replace those 2 things, and you're set. Most bike shops will carry the right stuff to do it, but I always liked redbike.

Now for the important thing with fixed gear bikes; accessories, which you will have to order over the internet for now. If I'm correct, old Nishikis come with MKS pedals, which are essential if you want any fixed gear cred. Also, the top tube pad is another must-have. I haven't seen any bike shops in Edmonton that sell them, so you might just want to go to Home Depot, get the right sized pipe insulator, then go to zellers and buy some fabric, cut and staple it around, and presto, you have a top tube pad. Throw out your brakes, you won't need those. And cut down your old drop bars to make mini bullhorns. Oh, and use the same chain, or any 6 speed chain from MEC, just remove a bunch off links.

That's how I did it anyway.
Old 01-02-08, 11:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, I forgot to ask, are a bunch of people riding fixies around Edmonton these days? In Calgary with the Chinook today I saw them everywhere.
Old 01-03-08, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is probably a dumb question but why would you convert to a fixed gear?
Old 01-05-08, 06:47 PM
bikes also suck.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
because fixed gear is awesome!

Also, red bike will have any parts you need and the edmonton bike co-op, which is just off whyte ave will have any tools you need. I started a facebook group for people riding fixies in edmonton, so there are at least 6 of us riding around.
Old 01-31-08, 09:48 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
There is this guy who volunteers at the Bicycle Commuter's shop (Bikeworks) who knows a little bit about fixed gear conversions since he's built way more than 6 of them and owns 4 himself.

That would also be me.

I'm at the shop Monday and Wednesday nights and usually pop in on Saturdays to see if the weekend crew needs any help.

PM me if you want to know more about fixed gear conversions, Bikeworks, or the Commuter's society.