Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie, need help buying a bike...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 11:55 AM
Nam
Stinky Mouse

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I've been in this forum for a while but didn't post much, recently I just move to Brooklyn, NY and looking for a bike to go to work at about 20 minus bus driving.

Here in NY is different than WA state where I used to live though. Here you have to ride a bike on street, not sidewalk. Obviously, there are a lots of people in the side walk here.

Therefore, I'm looking for a road bike for a long term using, with a range money about $300-$500 (just got work). I'm completely new with the pricing, but knowing a little bit about parts since I used to race (real race like tour de france) in my country 8 years ago. At that time, shimano mostly the best parts.

Anyway, any help for me buying a road bike here? Going around the shop here, the bikes with the money range I pay have only a few good parts, mostly sucky ones. I'm looking for a good used bike, on Ebay or something like that.

The bike model that has a good review or you have experienced with it is very appreciate. Since there are too many in Ebay that confused me. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-13-03, 12:54 PM
Super Biker

Bikes: 2014 Curtlo, 2006 Serotta Coeur d’Acier, 2005 Independent Fabrication Steel Delux, 2003 Surly 1x1, 2003 Surly Cross Check, 1986 Schwin Worldsport SS commuter, 1980's Mongoose Supergoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You say you want a road bike, and mainly for commuting. I'll take that with a grain of salt. Stay away from these fancy aluminum racing road frames with flashy paint, skinny tires, and uncomfortable ride positions. They're out of your price range, and would fall apart almost as soon as they would get stolen in your city (BTW, how did you get tricked into moving from WA to NYC?, j/k ). Look for a good quality, possibly used, steel frame, with comfortable geometry. Gunner, Jamis, Surly, Fuji, Schwinn, and many other companies make these, and you can find them used pretty easily.
Old 09-13-03, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live in NYC, i would advise you to go to your nearest department store and pick up a $100 bike and buy 3 locks. Or if you go out and buy a new nice shiny bike make sure you buy lots of stickers to plaster it with.....well thats my opinion..
Old 09-13-03, 01:34 PM
Nam
Stinky Mouse

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting is only a part buying, I used to race so this bike will also be used to riding around the park, bike trails on weekends.

I was leaning about Costco when they had a $300 road bike that was pretty good (don't remember the brand name), but they had it no more... *sign*

I wouldn't worry about the bike getting stole though, I've seen lots of good bikes locked on the street of NYC, *good* here mean at least $1000. Besides, I can bring my bike into the basement of my workplace, not leaving it outside. And believe it or not, I hate NY, but there is a reason behind it so I have to live with it... for now.

Edit: I got this ad at local website, the title is "Performance focus racing bike" and this description:

$700.00 OBO 14 Speed racing bike with STI shifters. The components are Shimano 600 -It has the STI integrated system. 7-year-old, 24" bike. Has not been used for about 4 years. Works very well and in excellent condition

It has pic too but I can't attach here. I don't know the model, could anyone tell me if it's a good bike or not?

Last edited by Nam; 09-13-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-14-03, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For any big-city riding you need a strong, practical, yet fast bike. People talk about "beater" or "hack" bikes; these are often based on quite good older frames, with good-enough components. I think this is a better option than a low-end new bike or a toyshop junk bike.
You can choose the gear ratios to suit your conditions, so eg ride a 1x8speed, or even a singlespeed if you prefer. You are not building a race or play bike, so be practical. Some people have to remove everything removable from their bike (seatpost, lights, front wheel etc) every time they lock the bike. It is much more practical to set the bike up so this is unneccessary.
You can use a road-style bike, but I prefer one with clearance for 32mm tyres and fenders for winter. A rear luggage rack means you can haul the shopping.
Touring bikes make really practical utility machines. Roadified MTBs (preferably non suspension) are favoured by many couriers, and even hybrid biikes can hack it, but you loose some cool factor.

Find yourself a good LBS which deals wiuth commuters. Ive heard good things about bikecult(.com).