Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

bambooo!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 09:30 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and here´s a pic of my longtail in the jig:
Old 03-25-08, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Spectacular, Chapaneco!

Did you bend the twin top tubes?
Old 03-26-08, 10:21 AM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
Spectacular, Chapaneco!

Did you bend the twin top tubes?
actually, d. strictus almost always grows with a slight curve, and all culms usually have the exact same curve! I just selected two even sized ones and took advantage of the natural bend. I have tried bending d. strictus using a strong camping stove, the same one I use for "combing", it is VERY hard to bend! much more so than the phylosyachys.

howz your bike coming along, have you sorted out the front brake yet?
Old 03-26-08, 10:57 AM

I'm still waiting on the cable stop to come in, and I've been waiting for it to arrive before I take it to the LBS and have the bottom bracket set. Those are the only two things that need to be done on it though.

Work has been getting in the way a little bit.
Old 03-26-08, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome looking bikes ChiapasFixed and AllenG! You both did great jobs.
I would love to make one sometime.

wakamole if you do make one, be sure to post pics and info on where you got the materials from.

Scott.
Old 03-26-08, 08:47 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey Scott and Wakamole, i will be spending a couple of months in Darwin this summer. i would like to make a bike or two while there. Please keep me posted on bamboo in AU, and lets stay in touch!
Old 03-27-08, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skott
I'm in Perth too - if I get my act together you can come down and check it out - I'm having trouble finding appropriate bamboo - I may have to get it from SE Asia...
Old 03-29-08, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by FstrMnky
Those bikes look fantastic - well done guys!
AllenG, Have you thought about making a bamboo kickstand? It would be a big improvement over the metal one.
I've thought about that. I'm afraid it would rot away at the tip too readily.
Old 03-29-08, 08:08 PM

Had some time away from work today.

I've had a little trouble with the rear brake mounts. Alining them was troublesome and they slipped on me a few times. I removed the first set and replaced them with the ones that were on my mountain bike (took the canti mounts off of a disk brake fitted frame).

I also had difficulty with the rack mounts. They are small threaded donuts that I countersunk into the seatstays. They were too slick for the epoxy to grip them. I replaced them with nuts, and they are holding fine.

I have the shifter and the brake lines installed, they both work. I also have the headset in place, but I'm missing the cranks because I don't have the right wrench to install the bottom bracket. I'll take it into the LBS on Monday and should be riding this coming week.

The canti brake mount I was using.

The ones I'm using now.

All but the cranks.

Tomorrow I'm going to cut some forms and make a jig for constructing the fenders.
Old 03-30-08, 10:00 AM

Bikes: 1985 Univega viva Touring, 1995 Treck Y22, and a 2003 Comfort bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful thread! I'm planning on building a bamboo bike in the next year or so.

Where did you get those special canti brake mounts?

flyingcadet
Old 03-30-08, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by flyingcadet

Where did you get those special canti brake mounts?

flyingcadet
Snagged them off of my mountain bike, a Voodoo.
Old 03-30-08, 12:00 PM

Bikes: 1985 Univega viva Touring, 1995 Treck Y22, and a 2003 Comfort bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks, now I know who to bug and annoy to get some.

flyingcadet
Old 03-31-08, 01:20 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Allen, are you making the fenders out of bamboo? i am just now working on laminating some iron bamboo and bending some fenders for the cargo cruiser. this particular bamboo is really thik and laminates very well. how are you making yours?
Old 04-02-08, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
Hey Allen, are you making the fenders out of bamboo? i am just now working on laminating some iron bamboo and bending some fenders for the cargo cruiser. this particular bamboo is really thik and laminates very well. how are you making yours?
I don't have the stock to make them out of bamboo. I'm going to be using some redwood that I salvaged out of the barn and cut into 1/8 inch veneer strips.

I'm cutting arches whose diameter is one inch larger than my wheels out of 1/2 inch MDF to make a form. I'll stack and glue them together to make an arch 2 1/2 inches wide. I'll use spring clamps to hold the veneer strips to the arch form, and a heat gun to help bend them.

The bike is now at the LBS getting the bottom bracket installed. I'm swamped with a print job so I may not be able to pick it up until the weekend.
Old 04-03-08, 09:10 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok, heres some pics of the finished cargo cruiser. i went with alleng's idea of using hemp twine, although i first wraped each lug in pure sisal fiber, as i feel that the twine does not absorb the resin into its core. so the twine is partially esthetic, although i am sure it adds strength to the lug as well.

a closeup of the hemp lugs:

both bikes can now be seen at work on the streets of san cristobal

Last edited by ChiapasFixed; 04-03-08 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-04-08, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look fantastic Chiapas
How's the ride?
How heavy is that cargo-cruiser???
Looks like it could haul a truck!
Old 04-04-08, 11:14 AM

That is truly astounding. Beautiful bike. I'm in awe.

How does it ride? And how does it compare to the first one?

Last edited by Allen; 04-04-08 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-08, 11:34 AM
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the ride is nice, i really enjoy the coaster brake and the high-cadence spinning! we have tested it with upards of 150kg on the rack (two big guys, plus rider) and it still handles well, although if it had that much dead weight youd have to be careful not to tip it too far to one side and not be able to controll the weight. Still, 60kg of dead weight can be esaily managed. unloaded, it handles alot like a mounain bike, and is surprisingly fast (if you really spin the 32 tooth chainring). The bike itself weighs around 15kg, or 34lbs, but this will be reduced by changing the cheap-as-can-be rims, which we will soon.
Old 04-07-08, 01:48 PM

Chapaneco,

I posted a link to your long bike in the Utility sub-forum's homemade Xtracycle thread. You should post some images of it there, it's getting a great response.
Old 04-07-08, 02:06 PM

I got my bike back from the LBS today (did not have the right tool for chasing & facing the bottom bracket shell). It's complete and rides wonderfully. Hasn't made any noises as yet, but it still has less than two miles on it. I'll post some images of the complete build after my camera charges.

I'm going to sum up the build this way: It was a profound learning experience, I enjoyed it enough to do it again. My next frame will be built mostly the same, but there will be several changes as well. It is my first frame and I'm proud of it, but it is not a perfect bike. I'll tentatively say so far it is adequately built, but no problems have cropped up. I expect it will show its faults as it ages and its final fate will probably be to hang on the wall, but I hope to get a couple of good seasons from it.

My next frame is going to be a double top tube road bike, I'll document its construction more closely than I did with the bomber.

Chapaneco, appreciate you for letting me share this thread. You've given me a lot of inspiration, and I thank you for that.

--A
Old 04-07-08, 02:31 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey allen, no problem. im glad we can share experiences. funny you are planning on building a double top tube bike, i own a couple of them and my original plan was actually to copy one for my first bamboo frame. i later abandonded this idea and built the two bikes you have seen (the first one stopped creacking after a couple hundred k's by the way, and has not made anoise since, the cargo cruiser does not creack at all!).
anyway, i look forward to seeing pics of your completed bike, and heres a pic of my favourite double top tube fixie:
Old 04-07-08, 09:08 PM

My bike now has about 20 miles on it and I had a few of my friends give it a spin around the farm.
There is some flex in the rear triangle, it's not too bad though you really only notice it climbing.

The wheels are still on it, and we gave it a bit of a thrashing today.

Forgot to charge my camera, too excited.
Old 04-07-08, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ChiapasFixed
...and heres a pic of my favourite double top tube fixie:
Sweet bike. That is exactly what I had in mind for the next one.
Old 04-08-08, 04:49 PM

Done.
Almost, I'm going to change the cable guides out for a different kind, the white tape is there to bother me so I will change them out and not learn to live with the ones that are on there. They currently cause some friction on the shifter and brake cables.
Old 04-08-08, 06:32 PM

Chapaneco,
Do y'all have induction loop traffic lights (metal detectors imbedded in the road that change the lights)?
My bike does not trip the ones we have around here. Curious if you ran into a similar thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.