Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

sloppy disc brakes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

sloppy disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 01:44 AM
JUST RIDE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sloppy disc brakes

hey i went for i ride the other day i went through some water a few times. when i came home i gave my bike a quick pipe to dry it. next day i discoverd that my disc brakes arnt working well, its a bit harder to pull the leaver in and they dont stop that well. they are cable brakes. please tell me wats wrong. thanks
Old 01-06-08, 02:51 AM

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try (1) cleaning everything particularly the disc and (2) lubing the moving parts on the brake mechanism and cable (avoiding the pads and disc of course) - (3) adjusting the pad clearance/cable tension if necessary- that usually fixes it

if that doesn´t work you will have to detatch the cable and more precisely track down the source of the problem

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)

Last edited by royalflash; 01-06-08 at 02:52 AM. Reason: clarifying
Old 01-06-08, 08:53 AM
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
harder to pull usually means your cables/housing have gone bad. As to why they have stopped working as well, some sort of contamination would be my guess. Hard to say without squeezing them myself.