Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Home built xtracycle...

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Home built xtracycle...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 10:50 AM
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldfool
More updates as they happen.
It has been so cold here that this old southern wimp just has not been able to wrap my hand around a wrench. I did get in a few hours however and this up date bears the result.

This growth on the side of the bike is my version of a side loader. It is not an original idea but I am sorry to say I don't know where I got the idea. I saw it online somewhere and I have searched diligently but cannot find it. If anyone should happen to know who posted this please let me know so I can give credit. I'm not smart enough to think this up.

It is a folding wall hanger for a bicycle and cost $6.02 USD plus tax license and dealer prep in Lowe's hardware. I attached it to the frame with various pieces of hardware from my junk box.

When it swings down it makes a place to put stuff.

Such as a propane tank.
It does throw the bike off balance a bit. This is a full tank and the bike needs the aid of one of my rustic homemade crooked walking sticks to keep it from falling over like a dead bug. As soon as I started riding I hardly noticed it was there.

I had attached the center stand to the stock thin mild steel hanger on the bike and that didn't work out so I modified that. The stand itself seems to work fine except for the exception seen above.
There are more pictures at https://www.oldfool.org/2010/01/old-f...pdate-3-i.html

Now that I've got it this far I'm going to tear down and redo the cargo area. What is there works but I now have this perfectly good skateboard (courtesy of my grandson) that's begging to be used. But first I have to haul more dog food.
Old 01-17-10, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to build one of these, but i'm not sure what bikes to use, I have a few to choose from. (pictures below) I can find some more if need be (I don't mind dumpster diving)So far, I want to use the two large mountain bikes. The two little ones are SUPER small.

Last edited by TFS Jake; 01-17-10 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 04:49 PM

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TFS Jake
I want to build one of these, but i'm not sure what bikes to use, I have a few to choose from. (pictures below) I can find some more if need be (I don't mind dumpster diving)So far, I want to use the two large mountain bikes. The two little ones are SUPER small.

OK, you have the base makings of a longtail by stripping those two bikes and doing a little mix 'n' match; the rear wheel suspension arm assembly from the blue bike will make the longtail frame. remove the shock and fit a ridgid bar down from the shock mount and fix it to the frame of the Magna step through.
Old 01-18-10, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gareth
OK, you have the base makings of a longtail by stripping those two bikes and doing a little mix 'n' match; the rear wheel suspension arm assembly from the blue bike will make the longtail frame. remove the shock and fit a ridgid bar down from the shock mount and fix it to the frame of the Magna step through.
Where do I find a longer cables?
Old 01-18-10, 07:35 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
You may need to buy tandem length shifter cables... any LBS should have them in stock or be able to order them in.
Old 01-18-10, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You may need to buy tandem length shifter cables... any LBS should have them in stock or be able to order them in.
Thanks.

Would you suggest I make the front a single gear?
Old 01-18-10, 07:59 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I started with a 1 by 8 with my longbike then moved to a 2 by 8 and then went to a full on triple up front as there were a few occasions I would spin things out, especially when I am running slicks (summer) and have no cargo. I have probably gotten the longbike up to 40 kmh on flat ground...

I run a 28/38/48 with a 12-32 in the rear and 90% of the time I am using the middle ring for most of my riding and hauling as that gives me almost all the range I need.

In the winter having that granny can be nice as I often find myself riding through some pretty sticky slush where you want to keep up a good spin and on a longbike you want to spin at good rpm as mashing is murder on the knees when you are loaded up.
Old 01-20-10, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hey sixty the mixte longtail I made was an awesome bike and looked great. I think she would love it. Also as for tandem cables if your cheap like me. well... to lazy to go to the store, I have alot of bike cables so I just extend one with a few washers a bold and a nut. SCORE! tandem imatation cable! lol

Also that roadmaster bike dosn't have the correct rear end, I think. the bottom bracket should be on the back end, well it makes it easy to build, i've never attempted to build one with that type.

I also found a pretty good size rack for the back of these bikes, Ikea sells these desks called Galant Desks and theres a under frame that comes in many sizes that seems too be a good size, you can even cut it and put it level with the back axle for a support bar. so many ideas!
Old 01-21-10, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HSean
I also found a pretty good size rack for the back of these bikes, Ikea sells these desks called Galant Desks and theres a under frame that comes in many sizes that seems too be a good size, you can even cut it and put it level with the back axle for a support bar. so many ideas!
Tell us more about this! Would you use it s a rack (abov wheels for hanging panniers and stuff) or low, as some s or of wideloader? Do they sell them separately or do you need to buy the desktop (or legs) with it? Used to be plenty stuff in the "cheap corner" at my Ikea warehouse, but less now.

Weight?

Pix?

Last edited by badmother; 02-02-10 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 10:04 PM

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Best thing about ikea is everything is sold in pieces and you can also make this piece longer or buy small ones and make bigger!

heres a picture of one
https://blog.ianmeyerphotography.com/...09-02-15_9.jpg
heres one I converted into a trailer to haul cases of pop from the store to my home, it's the perfect size, it may be a tad heavy because it's steel but meh, it's square tubing and with all the parts they sell for this theres parts to connect them so you could alter them to be wider or slimmer. plus Ikea has an as is section where these can be even cheaper lol

Theres also other things there that could make great parts. like the L shaped steel beams from their beds
Old 01-25-10, 05:57 PM
I can - therefore, I do..

Bikes: '84 Motocruiser, '10 KHS TR 101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice concept... Could you show it hitched up?
Old 01-26-10, 02:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That I cannot do because i've already cut that up. it basicly tightened around a bike fork that was sticking out from behind Mr Apococycle. lol
Old 01-27-10, 12:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I built bamboo trailers so that a box from Ikea can be stuck in the trailerframe, makes it much stiffer. Also you can put another box or more on top since there is lids for the boxes. Great system.
Old 01-29-10, 08:13 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah Ikea has alot of usefull stuff that can be used, My winter longtail is holding up pretty good, theres alot of rust on it amd it's covered in salt but it works still
Old 01-29-10, 08:58 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I think the greatest appeal of this entire thread is how innovative people have been in building their bikes and for the most part using the materials at hand.

Everything on my bike (except my rear v brake) has been recycled or re-used save for the consumables like cables, housings, and brake pads.
Old 01-31-10, 02:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes! and we should keep doing that! recycling is the bomb. I don't buy new bike parts, the odd time I do.

How sean Gets bike parts by "shopping" Tuesday night is garbage night, Basicly I take my longtail out and Fill it up with all kinds of bikes and parts, you should see what people throw out, I got a huge Lcd tv one day that I fixed lol
Old 02-16-10, 02:09 PM
Dudebroguy

Bikes: Custom Quiring MTB, Surly Cross Check, Jamis Steel MTB (ca. 1997)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have piqued my interest.

Generally, is the dropout/bb joint connected with bolts to the bb spindle? Or is there something else going on there?
Old 02-16-10, 03:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobilechimp
You guys have piqued my interest.

Generally, is the dropout/bb joint connected with bolts to the bb spindle? Or is there something else going on there?

Did you take yourtime to look at all the posts in this thread and follow links? There should be plenty info in there, but I am afraid you need to take some time to find it all. it should have been collected in a way that made it easyer to find but who want to spend the time (and money) to make a homepage for these great bikes.

I suggest you do not use the BB spindle. It is strong but narrow, you need to force the two dropouts together more than is good for the strenght of the frame. A rear wheel axel has been used. I use threaded rods cut to right size (make sure you use a good quality one).

But then you need "stuff" to fill up the empty BB housing. I leave the cups in place (after taking the axle out), that narrows the hole you need to fill. Personally I use steel curtain rods from IKEA, and important:

To keep the correct (and stable) distance between the front frames dropout and the cup in the rear triangles BB I use a piece of alu handlebars cut to correct size on each side. Tighten.

If you want to use a IGH (I do) make sure at least one of the frames has got horzontal dropouts for easy chain tensioning. Often at least the rear triangle do, they often come of crappy "full suspension MTB`S" .

Pixwhen you have started plse
Old 02-17-10, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, tried selling this but no luck. So I'm thinking of extracycling it.

What do ya'think.

3 speeds? 5 speeds?

Old 02-18-10, 08:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Went a different direction since I need something more my size....

27" wheel with short reach sidepull brake on the rear.

Old 02-19-10, 04:37 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 02-19-10, 05:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking good.
Old 02-19-10, 06:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would agree; good looking build, Michael. However, is that rear rack configuration temporary? If not, how are you going to carry all that extra cargo with just one rear rack? Looks like the paint on the two bikes is a perfect match. (I like the bike in your other photo too.)
Old 02-19-10, 08:41 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

The rear rack is just temp.Its mounted to the reflector bracket currently and may or may not remove/relocate the other brake calipers.Looks as though I'll need to modify the second rack a little so it sits flush
The paint is Crylon metals base and matches really close.

Later,
MK
Old 02-20-10, 04:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice looking build, My mountain bike one had very thin tires like road bike tires and I had a big flat issue quite offten, it might of been where I was riding though. I think because the size you hit little rocks pretty good with em. As for the rear rack, use a skateboard with two racks. it's easy and works. I suggest thick alloy rack or steel racks. I found a downside to the normal alloy ones, It collapsed on a ride one day. On the bring side, road bike cargo bikes look great, i've built one before too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.