Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

How are these craigslist folders?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I am leaning towards a second new Dahon D7 for $340, but are any of these a better value?

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/533283477.html
https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/531183900.html
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...531024272.html
Old 01-09-08, 03:21 PM
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first one is a first gen Dahon and therefore cute but not even close when you compare the rideability
second is a great bike, but who knows what the owner wants for a used bike ??. I would offer him 201 dlr and see what happens...
third is ... its built in the 70is.... its a great bike if you like to restore old bikes ,, and you can mod them as various proud owners have done... ( money no object) again its GREAT but it will ride somewaht like a 70 ties bike as long as you dont invest serious money into the modding part.... I mean that there are very few original twenties out there which actually get ridden...if modded no problem ( although nomatter what you do they are heavy )

keep in mind that a speed D7 is a much nicer frame than a Boardwalk or Yeah bike which are booth available for considerable less.... but you get what you pay for ....
Old 01-09-08, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! I emailed all the owners and all claimed they are hardly used < 100 miles . At this stage I am not interested in doing any modifications, so would the old Dahon be better value for me than the older Raleigh, assuming I can get the Dahon for <$100 aftar bargaining ?
Old 01-09-08, 04:11 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I would disagree on the Twenty not being light no matter what you do part, but do agree that after some modifications they do become a more enjoyable and practical bike although they are also pretty nice ride when they are stock.

They are also pretty bombproof bikes and can take much more abuse than many folders and would be best suited for folks who store their bikes rather than carry their bikes.

My Phillip's Twenty after some modifications: I replaced the steel wheels and fatter tires with BMX alloy rims and Specialized tyres and lightened the bike considerably by removing the stock fenders, chainguard, and steel seatpost. Replacing the cranks is my next project as that will bring the bike's weight down considerably.

Before:

After:

With all that being said, the Twenty and I are going to Portland.