Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling Bucket Lists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycling Bucket Lists

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 05:41 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Cycling Bucket Lists

I went with the wife to see Bucket List last night. Not sure there will be any Oscars handed out but Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson did a pretty nice job. However most of the really funny stuff was spilled in the previews.

The wife and I critiqued the movie afterwards over a pitcher of margaritas. I figured out I really didn't have the desire to travel just to see stuff anymore-I had rather go DO stuff as I enjoyed the experience of doing or participation a lot more than just sightseeing. Example-ride my bike through Zion National Park as opposed to seeing it by car or ascending Mt Haleakala on Maui.

It got me thinking about Cycling Bucket lists-or I guess the question might be:

What would be on your list of cycling related stuff to do before you "Kick the Bucket"?
Old 01-12-08, 06:04 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am going on a bicycle tour to Alaska next year, and go on a kayaking tour at the same time! I decided I needed to cross this off my bucket list, since it was really the only big one.
Old 01-12-08, 06:19 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had 3-yr and 5-yr bucket lists ever since I turned 46. But until last year the only cycling entry was "Give Cycling a go again."

Cycling goals would still be modest. Things along the lines of:

- Do a 200 mile "tour" on trails.
- Improve to where I can ride comfortably on moderate hills
- Ride some trails in different regions of the USA, like New England, Pacific NW, Utah/Colorado.
- Take a month vacation somewhere that has nice weather and scenic trails - go out and ride whenever I feel like it.

Thinking about whether I want to add becoming comfortable riding on roads. That seems like something I would want to do, but I can't say I really feel any desire to do it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 01-12-08, 06:50 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I've actually hit a few on my list. The big one was Seattle to Portland.

Current list:
  • Davis Double: Scares me. That's a LONG way. I'm thinking of considering thinking about doing it this year.
  • A multi day tour of the Oregon Coast.
  • Own a carbon fiber bike (in the works! Frame in)
Old 01-12-08, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to ride in some mountains. The Canadian Rockies, Glacier Park, Zion, one of those. I know it's tough, and I want to see if I can do it.
Old 01-12-08, 07:00 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd love to ride Great Britain end to end, same with Italy, and while we're at it a grand tour of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece would be nice, as would the Trans America bicycle trail. I'm happy though to settle for shorter tours these days. I don't like being away from my non-cycling, non-driving wife for too long.
Old 01-12-08, 07:11 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I'd love to ride Great Britain end to end, same with Italy, and while we're at it a grand tour of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece would be nice, as would the Trans America bicycle trail. I'm happy though to settle for shorter tours these days. I don't like being away from my non-cycling, non-driving wife for too long.
I've always wondered if it's a pain to bring your bike to Europe. I know you have to haul your bags everywhere, and I don't know how you'd do it with a bike, too.
Old 01-12-08, 07:44 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my list is to ride the Northern Tier from Anacortes, Washington, to Bar Harbor, Maine, the year I turn 65. And that will be in 2009.
Old 01-12-08, 08:17 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I figured out I really didn't have the desire to travel just to see stuff anymore-I had rather go DO stuff as I enjoyed the experience of doing or participation a lot more than just sightseeing.

What would be on your list of cycling related stuff to do before you "Kick the Bucket"?
I came to the same conclusion a few years ago. Since that time the majority of family vacations have included at least one day of cycling. I have to limit them to short rides on trails (about 15 miles) as this is all my daughter can handle.

My list has always included a ride on one trail in each state. I've already marked off several states and will complete this after retirement.

I plan a trip to England after retirement to visit a friend who I've corresponded with for several years but have never met in person. She's not a cyclist so I'll be hiking with her. I plan on doing a few days of cycling after my visit with her. Who knows....maybe I'll get the chance to ride with some of our British posters

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-12-08, 08:52 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Ride 500 Miles on The Indy 500 Track on a New Rode Bike.
First 100 mile attempt June 14th, 2008

Old 01-12-08, 09:10 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by solveg
I've always wondered if it's a pain to bring your bike to Europe. I know you have to haul your bags everywhere, and I don't know how you'd do it with a bike, too.
I've done it several times using the boxes that you can get from the airlines. It's not too bad doing it this way. Finally, though, I bought a Bike Friday, which makes everything easier. It folds up into a suitcase, and the bike travels as regular luggage. Later the suitcase can be used as a nifty trailer to haul your gear. It's a pretty good all around bike, too.

www.bikefriday.com
Old 01-12-08, 09:54 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Complete another double century.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-12-08, 09:56 PM

Bikes: 04 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2010 Cannondale

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1. Be fit enough to climb Alp d'Huez
2. Climb Alp d'Huez
Old 01-13-08, 03:09 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am going to get in one of the Cycling training camps before I retire. You know the ones- 5 days out with the pros up in the mountains. Well even the slow ones have to have someone to beat up the slopes.

Anyone know of any good training camps that will get me fit for the 5 days with the Pro's

Spike Milligan
Old 01-13-08, 06:52 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
I want to ride in some mountains. The Canadian Rockies, Glacier Park, Zion, one of those. I know it's tough, and I want to see if I can do it.
I have not done Glacier. I have ridden and Utah and Zion did not look to bad. The Canadian Rockies are not hard. There are some climbs but they are not as long as Colorado or as high in altitude. Also you do not get things over 7% which is nice. If you want some hill practice, you can go to Clermont and try some of the hilly routes there. You will actually hit steeper sections than you will get in the Canadian Rockies just not nearly as long.
Old 01-13-08, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
I have not done Glacier. I have ridden and Utah and Zion did not look to bad. The Canadian Rockies are not hard. There are some climbs but they are not as long as Colorado or as high in altitude. Also you do not get things over 7% which is nice. If you want some hill practice, you can go to Clermont and try some of the hilly routes there. You will actually hit steeper sections than you will get in the Canadian Rockies just not nearly as long.
I just did the TransAmerica this year and the Cascades and Rockies were easy compared to the Appalachians. We were very sad when we said goodbye to the Rockies we really liked riding there.

I don't have a list per se. I hope to do another transcontinental trip or maybe a perimeter trip, but that will probably have to wait a few years unless my job situation changes since I burned all my saved leave to do the TA. I definitely want to do the pacific coast and I would like to do the continental divide mtb route some time too.
Old 01-13-08, 08:18 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I originated a "Bucket List" thread last week and before it was all over I was catching grief from several people in private messages so I had the moderator delete it. I'll keep mine to myself.
Old 01-13-08, 08:34 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just local stuff for me:
I kinda want to ride the Erie Canal Tour someday, and I'ld like to explore the
Genesee Greenway Trail before I kick the bucket.
Old 01-13-08, 08:43 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to do the Underground Railroad trail, all the way. Talk about bringing history to life....
Old 01-13-08, 09:22 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I'd like to do the Underground Railroad trail, all the way. Talk about bringing history to life....
XOBA will be doing part of this route this year. It's an annual ride across Ohio and the theme this year is "The Underground Railroad Tour".

https://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 01-13-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I am going to get in one of the Cycling training camps before I retire. You know the ones- 5 days out with the pros up in the mountains. Well even the slow ones have to have someone to beat up the slopes.

Anyone know of any good training camps that will get me fit for the 5 days with the Pro's
That sounds like something that I would like to do. I'd like to meet up with you, if you pay half the freight
Old 01-13-08, 10:26 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
XOBA will be doing part of this route this year. It's an annual ride across Ohio and the theme this year is "The Underground Railroad Tour".

https://www.outdoor-pursuits.org/xoba/
That looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!! I would be all over that if I were a stronger rider. I only got up to 45 miles last year as my longest ride. This year my goal is 70, and I should know by the end of summer if I could do that multiple days in a row. Even just doing 20-25 every day for a week gave me wide range between hard and easy days. Some days I felt like it was nothing, and the next day it felt like 50 miles. So, I need more experience.

But that would be a great* trip.
Old 01-13-08, 10:27 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by George
That sounds like something that I would like to do. I'd like to meet up with you, if you pay half the freight
I just ran across one of those camps, run by Hammer.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HN...%20Homebanners
Old 01-13-08, 11:34 AM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My List:
1. Ride in the RAAM (On a team, not alone!!!)
2. Ride Paris - Brest- Paris (Hope to do in 2011)
3. Do a cycling tour in China with my daughters (who are adopted from there)
4. Tour Britain on a bike with my wife (her heritage)
5. Tour E. Europe, esp. Poland (my heritage)
Old 01-13-08, 01:04 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Double Century.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.