Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Recommend some SF rides...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 05:26 AM
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommend some SF rides...

I'll be visiting relatives in SF for a week in February and I was planning on bringing the road bike out. I'm looking for ride/route recommendations. I'm looking for a couple of 50-75 mile loops, Remember I'm a mostly flatland East Coast rider so my 'hills' aren't your 'hills' (but I am bringing the triple...). I'm probably a B+ -A rider by SF standards. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-14-08, 09:02 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone just asked the same question recently. There's no end to the number of nice rides in the area.

Check out this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/373993-bay-area-dream-rides.html
Old 01-14-08, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Are you looking for rides in the city of San Francisco or rides in the "San Francisco Bay Area"?
Old 01-14-08, 11:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check if your library has this
https://www.amazon.com/Short-Bike-Rid.../dp/0762702141

There are rides up to 50 60 miles long in around the bay area, Also they recommend rides that can be combined to make longer rides, It has all the popular rides in it. If you cannot find a copy PM me and I will loan you mine,
Old 01-16-08, 08:20 AM
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for 'Bay Area' rides. Thanks for the responses!
Old 01-16-08, 08:59 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
We get together periodically for rides in the Bay Area. This weekend, we're doing Mt. Tam.

Let us know when you're in and perhaps you can join us for a ride.
Old 01-16-08, 11:45 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Any particular starting location? If you're just looking for epic rides in the area, the best ones are listed in the other thread that someone else posted.
Old 01-16-08, 12:49 PM
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be staying at my brother in law's on Sheridan which I believe is south of Market. That'll be my starting point.

I checked out the other thread & that's a big help. Thanks.

I'll try do at least a couple of long rides over the GG Bridge Probably up 1 or one of the side roads as far North as I can manage & back. Probably your Mt. Tam route...

My b-in-law is making noises about riding with me, so I'm not sure how that will go. He's been off the bike for a looong time. I'll post a note when I get dates & details and maybe I could latch on to one of your rides.

Thanks again, johnny, Sesame & bigtruck.
Old 01-16-08, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be staying at my brother in law's on Sheridan which I believe is south of Market. That'll be my starting point.
Here's a collection of route sheets for rides starting in San Francisco.

Look for the ones that start from "Sports Basement," a local sporting goods store which is on 6th Street in SoMa. (There are also rides starting from "Presidio Sports Basement" -- but that's another branch of the chain, nearer to the Golden Gate Bridge.)
Old 01-16-08, 03:06 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Get over to the east bay and climb Diablo, maybe do Morgan Territory while you're at it. You won't be disappointed.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-16-08, 03:36 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
From Sheridan, take Folsom to the Embarcadero, follow the bay shore to Fisherman's Wharf, then follow the tourists (on Blazing Saddles rental bikes) through Fort Mason and over the Golden Gate Bridge. From the north end of the bridge, the 3 most popular loops are the Marin Headlands, Tiburon/Paradise peninsula, and Mt. Tam. From Sheridan, any 2 of those loops will be about 60 miles round trip. All 3 might be around your upper limit. Tiburon/Paradise is very flat to rolling. The other 2 involve some uphill, but not monster climbs.

If you run out of energy (or daylight) you do have the option of taking the ferry back from Tiburon to Fisherman's Wharf.
Old 01-16-08, 07:06 PM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paradise loop is a must IMO. Do a search on bikley.com or mapmyride.com and i am sure you will find it. Great views of the bay, little traffic, and just all around spectacular.
Old 01-16-08, 07:14 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
Paradise loop is a must IMO. Do a search on bikley.com or mapmyride.com and i am sure you will find it. Great views of the bay, little traffic, and just all around spectacular.
Same is true of the Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam. If you only have enough time for 1 ride, then do all 3 loops in one day.

Last edited by johnny99; 01-16-08 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-27-08, 11:00 AM
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99
Same is true of the Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam. If you only have enough time for 1 ride, then do all 3 loops in one day.

Johnny, et al,

Thanks for all the tips. I just got back from SF yesterday & had a great time.

I had limited riding time but I did manage to get a couple of mornings in. I was with my wife & kids and we had an action packed 7 days out there.

I rented a Masi from Pacific Bikes on 4th. The bike was decent & the guys at the shop were helpful.

My brother in law backed off riding with me when he heard the routes I wanted to take. He said he hadn't been riding much (in the last 10 years) and that those routes were 'serious'. Huh. I guess I'd see what he meant...

Ride #1 was over the Golden Gate to Sausalito, Mill Valley then up Route 1. I got up to Muir Beach just as the weather turned nasty, so I headed back. The weather cleared a bit on the way back so I rode the Paradise Loop & the Headlands for a bit. That was plenty for my off season East Coast legs. Really amazing riding. The towns were pretty & low traffic for the most part. Route 1 going North was the prettiest by far. Lush, quiet and very green.

Ride #2 was mostly the hills & streets around SF. I rode up to Bernal Hill and took in the views & then around Noe Hill. Then over to Twin Peaks. On the way back I rode up Hyde, one of the Cable Car streets. That was ridiculously steep. I'm just glad there were stop signs & some level pavement at the intersections. At one point I had to stop in the middle of a block because a tourist jumped out in the street in front of me to take a pic. I had a hell of a time clipping back in.

All in all I had a great time in the city w. the family. (Check out the Frielander exhibit at SFMOMA if you're into street photography. It's amazing.) The riding was incredible. I envy the rides available in the area. They really are incredible.

We arrived in town the day after the Tour of Cali was in Sausalito, so I didn't get to see that, but we couldn't do everything. Maybe next time.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips. I look forward to riding out there again...

Last edited by Lucky07; 02-27-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-27-08, 12:00 PM
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad you had the chance to get in a couple of good rides. Let us know the next time you are back in town!
Old 02-28-08, 08:48 PM
Ride 365

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by msincredible
Glad you had the chance to get in a couple of good rides. Let us know the next time you are back in town!

Will do!