Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

removing aluminum frame paintm corrossion?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-08, 06:38 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://img246.imageshack.us/img246/9242/bikezl4.jpg
so i just helped my friend get this bike, aluminum frame, 28" wheels, really nice ride! rode it about 80 miles in Mexico City today.
so the only thing my friend doesnt like about it are the decals. they are painted on there pretty good, he wants to just sand them off. is it safe to leave aluminum bare? i guess we could just rattle can it after, but he sais "just make it look old" !!!

By chiapasfixed, shot with KODAK Z730 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-01-15
Old 01-15-08, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the graphis are painted on you'll have to sand them off, that'll ruin the paint job and you'll need to refinish the whole thing. If they're only decals you can use a heat gun so soften them up and slowly peel them off. Use alcohol and a soft rag to remove the glue residue.
Good luck
Old 02-05-08, 03:01 PM
mr.graffixit

Bikes: a few!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If its paint I can make what ever graphics you want to cover up the benotto paint scheme. Even just plain blue to match. No sanding or teardown required with a pro finish
Old 02-05-08, 09:48 PM
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool, but you are in portland oregon, and the bike is in mexico city....
care to tell me how you do it?
Old 02-18-08, 05:53 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You can get them to come off with a less abrasive method of removal than sanding. Take a medium or coarse Scotch Brite and a bucket of water. It is important to have the water or else it can get ugly. Only use enough effort to get through the decal or clear on top of it, then peel what you can. When it is clean of the decals, then you have 2 options, depending on the condition. Either wax and have it be what it is, wax will make it glossy again. Or clearcoat/or add decals of choice with clear on top of them. Ive had good success with both in the past.
Old 02-18-08, 11:01 PM

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yes, it is safe to leave aluminum bare. It will look pretty bad in the beginning, and much worse after a year or so, but I've never seen a bare aluminum frame fail. But seriously, if your friend thinks the frame looks bad now, he should see it after the paint has been removed and the metal has oxidized. Unless he's a big fan of Mad Max, he should probably leave it alone.
Old 02-19-08, 11:20 AM
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
¿Aluminum bufalo? Chiapas, I can`t offer much advice about your question, but I wanted to comment on your buddy`s bike- I like it! I`ve spent a good amount of time trying to track one down (the older steel framed ones with rod brakes) but finally decided that every single one was going to be WAY to big for me. Good luck with it, I hope he enjoys rolling over the volchos with those big old 28-inch tires! The one little thing I could say is that, if he decides to do any repainting or needs local service, there`s a good forum here:
https://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113
Most of the posters are there in Chilangolandia and could give specific suggestions about painters or whatever.
Old 02-19-08, 09:30 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To add to the line about never seeing a bare frame fail:
In tubing inspection, the first rule of thumb is that a clean polished frame hides no secrets. Paint does.

My friend had a polished aluminum frame crack, but he knew about it loooong before it was a problem because it was polished, so it didnt bite him.