Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

What Does the "score" mean on the posts search?

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 08:27 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

What Does the "score" mean on the new posts search - i.e., 67%?

I see some folks with just a few posts at 100%, some with more posts at various seemingly non-related scores.

It looks to me as if the "Posts" search and the "Threads" search are now the same????

Posts search:

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?do=finduser&u=1498

Threads search:

https://www.bikeforums.net/search.php...&starteronly=1

gives the same result??

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-17-08 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-17-08, 12:24 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I posted a bit of a complaint about the new search function and was told they are still tweaking it, and it's not quite working yet.

In other forums and search engines, the % score is a measure of how closely the post meets the search criteria. For example if you searched for posts with several words in them, and the search retrieved a post with most but not all the words, it might get a score of 75%. If it contained all the words, it would be 100%. However, for now it looks like the search function is still a bit wonky, so probably just ignore the % score.
Old 01-17-08, 12:32 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
I posted a bit of a complaint about the new search function and was told they are still tweaking it, and it's not quite working yet.

In other forums and search engines, the % score is a measure of how closely the post meets the search criteria. For example if you searched for posts with several words in them, and the search retrieved a post with most but not all the words, it might get a score of 75%. If it contained all the words, it would be 100%. However, for now it looks like the search function is still a bit wonky, so probably just ignore the % score.
Thanks.

This, too, will pass!
Old 01-24-08, 09:24 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Indeed the new search is still technically in its beta stage. I'll agree that it isn't perfect by any stretch yet. However it functions better than the old search which was by all accounts on it's last legs and those legs were failing fast. There is work being done on the search, though I haven't heard an ETA on the next release.
Old 01-26-08, 02:44 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
I haven't heard an ETA on the next release.
Me, either. I know it's an imperfect solution, but the old search was seriously on the verge of collapse. There was concern it could have brought other things down along with it.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."