Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

SmartCog KOMA 3 Speed

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

SmartCog KOMA 3 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 10:16 AM
Gak! Wud's dat smell???

Bikes: SmartCog KOMA 3 Speed Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SmartCog KOMA 3 Speed

Hi All!

Awhile back I decided it was time for another bike. It's been over a decade since my crazy Mountain Biking Days down dirt hills and making myself as one with numerous trees and boulders on the way down. Being a little older and a little more fragile now I opted for something serene and pleasurable for the occasional ride.

After a few weeks of late night 'net cruising I came across this little number, A KOMA 3 Speed folding bike from Japan.

Born and breed in Japan this little folding commuter bike was designed for short trips to and from public transit. While most transit systems prohibits passengers from taking bicycles onto bus and trains, for safety reasons and economics, the KOMA folds up and can be pulled along like a luggage roller.
I had to have one.

3 days after I had sent payment I received my KOMA from Japan. No assembly required as it was already set up for my weight and height. I rolled off in the parking lot and started pedaling. Much to my surprise the bike felt very stable and comfortable. Though steering is a little faster I quickly adjusted. Gearing is set for leisurely riding, Tour Du Tortoise, and the rear air shock is pretty smooth. It's my first bike to have rear suspension so I do not have anything else to compare it to. But my Mushy Tushy is happy so I'm happy.

Folding this little bike takes all of 30 seconds, handlebars and pedals too! Folding like a collapsing 'N' the bike stands by itself aided by two little roller wheels. These roller wheels are also for rolling about while in the folded configuration.

Check it out on their Google translated webpage.
https://translate.google.com/translat...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Hope you've enjoyed the review. I've just bought another folder, a 2008 Downtube FS 9 Speed so stay tuned for a new review in a few weeks!! Hmmmm, what to do with TWO bikes???

Keep 'er Rubber Side down!!
Norman :shock:
Old 01-19-08, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'm also rocking the minifolder/downtube combo.

May I ask how/where you ordered from japan with delivery to Ontario? How much did it cost?
Old 01-19-08, 09:38 PM
Gak! Wud's dat smell???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Makeinu!

I had contacted a few dealers in Japan that eventually lead to a contact at SmartCog. He was sorta hesitant to sell me one. Given the weight restriction on these folding marvels his condition of sale was that I forgo any warranty. I agreed and we put through an order. 3 days later I was at the FedEx picking up my Bike.

With shipping and Custom Duties all added up she rolled in at $1500 and change. The KOMA alone was about $1300 CDN. I'm currently selling her for $900.00 shipped anywhere in North America if anyone has a good home for it.

Cheers!

Norman
Old 01-20-08, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Dahon Mu SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Archer-ca
I'm currently selling her for $900.00 shipped anywhere in North America if anyone has a good home for it.
It's a very nic(h)e machine.

I think it should appeal to more than just cyclists -- the techie with a two-seater sports car, or perhaps the CEO who wants to zip around his warehouse. Offer it to Jack Layton!
Old 04-07-08, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Norman. You seem to like this machine, so why are you selling it? I'm curious as to your impressions after riding it for a while. Thanks.
Old 04-07-08, 06:50 PM
Gak! Wud's dat smell???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya Bravesirrobin.

Such a painful question to answer. Reason I'm selling is because I've exceeded the recommended safe operational payload on this Micro Folding Bike. My Late Night Nacho Sessions has taken it's toll so I had to get another bike that could accommodate my weight.

It's back on Ebay right now. Hoping to find a good home for her. .... and soon.

Norman
Old 04-14-08, 05:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Norman. I thought you Canadians were all skinny folk, unlike us here in the U.S.
Old 04-14-08, 06:31 PM
velotaffer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pricey though, that's a sweet looking micro, for some reason "Honey, I Shrunk Our Downtube" comes to mind.