Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shifting troubles with 9-speed cassettes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've recently built up two bikes with 9 speed cassettes. (Previously I only had 7.) One is a Surly LHT with a Cyclotouriste cassette from Harris Cyclery. The other is a hardtail Rockhopper with an 11-34 cassette - I think it's a Deore. Both have Shimano rear derailleurs. One is an XT and the other a Deore.

I know how to use the barrel adjuster for fine-tuning. The 9 speeds seem much more persnickety than my old 7s. I have to get the adjustment exactly right for the shifting to be smooth over all 9 gears.

Both bikes have a similar problem, which leads me to think that maybe there's another adjustment I don't know about. On both of them, the problematic gear is the 8th largest - the one outside of the lowest. When I use that gear there seems to be some "chain slippage" - where the pedals briefly lose load and spin freely. When I try to adjust for this using the barrel adjuster, it doesn't really work, and eventually throws everything else off.

Both of the rear derailleurs were installed directly out of the box. I know there are a couple other adjustment screws (besides the two limit adjusters.) Is there some other tuneup I need to do to get all 9 gears working smoothly?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-08, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
1. What are you using for shifters? You need 9-speed shifters and, since you're using Shimano derailleurs, you need Shimano or Shimano compatable shifters.

2. Have you had the derailleur hanger alignment checked? The more rear cogs you have, the more finicky your derailleur will be regarding hanger alignment.
Old 01-20-08, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Retro Grouch. Have the hanger alignment checked.
Old 01-20-08, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How old are the cables and cable housings?
Old 01-20-08, 08:15 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The shifters on the Surly are Shimano Bar-ends. The ones on the mountain bike are Deore combination shifters/brake levers.

The cables and housings are all brand new.

How do you check your derailleur hanger alignment? If it's misaligned, how do you fix it? Do you have to bend something, or is there some sort of adjustment screw.
Old 01-20-08, 09:06 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Maybe this is obvious, but are you using 9-speed chains on both bikes? Are they relatively new?
Old 01-20-08, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
How do you check your derailleur hanger alignment? If it's misaligned, how do you fix it? Do you have to bend something, or is there some sort of adjustment screw.
Bike shops have a tool that gauges derailleur hanger alignment and also, if necessary, bends it back into line.
Old 01-21-08, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
What chain connector are you using, BigBlue?
Old 01-21-08, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check the cable to derailleur connection. If the cable is on the wrong side of the screw it can cause shifting problems.

Al
Old 01-21-08, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While you are looking at everything, I'd check the chain length: and easy test is no longer than needed for big-big
Old 01-21-08, 11:01 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
What chain connector are you using, BigBlue?
The chain on the touring bike is SRAM. I used the connecting link that came with it. The chain on the Rockhopper is Shimano. I pressed the pin in with my chain tool.
Old 01-21-08, 11:03 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
While you are looking at everything, I'd check the chain length: and easy test is no longer than needed for big-big
I used the method described on the Park website. I put the chain on big-big (bypassing the derailleur) and added a link or two of length until I got to the next outside-inside link connection. I think the method described on Sheldon's site is pretty much the same.