Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bars full - dashboard construction planning help.

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Bars full - dashboard construction planning help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Bars full - dashboard construction planning help.

Hello.

My bars are currently full of crap, and I'd like to mount them more efficiently than just bungie-corded to the bars.

Current bars:

GPS, Speakers, and (not pictured) 3W CREE LED Flashlight and 1W Luxeon Flashlight (bungee corded to threaded headset reflector mount, which you can kinda see)

My plan is to take out the headset reflector mount (2mm thick at the keyed washer portion) and replace it with a piece of sheet metal upon which I can bungee down my speakers and flashlight, install a screw for mounting a camera, and leaving the GPS on the bars.

My questions:

1. is .7mm thick steel recycled from a computer case thick enough to do what I require without dropping my electronics all over the road?

2. Any good ideas for a good "quick-release" system at the purple dotted line portion?

I love my gadgets!

Last edited by Pepper Grinder; 01-22-08 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-22-08, 09:29 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Contact these guys for some tips on how to get more stuff on your bike.
Old 01-22-08, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might try the commuting or long distance cycling forums for an answer.
Old 01-22-08, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
ya freek ya

1 - I suspect the steel will not be strong enough. too bendy.
2 - no idea
Old 01-22-08, 11:20 AM

Bikes: Kona Kula, Trek 1000, & Specialized Hardrock Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You plan on leaving any room for your hands to steer with???

I love just getting out and riding and getting away from everything. I can't imagine taking all that stuff with me. But if thats what you like, more power to you and good luck with your project.

No one will ever accuse you of being a weight weenie, that for sure!!!!
Old 01-22-08, 01:19 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For materials, I'd go with either wood or plastic. You can get sheets of opaque plexiglass from pretty much any big hardware store. You can cut it, drill holes, and it's pretty cheap. Make sure you sand the edges or tape them so they're rounded off; plexi is pretty sharp when you cut it. Be aware that it does shatter on impact.) This could be an issue if you ever do a panic stop and go over the handlebars.) Wood would also work.

You might also want to consider something for cable routing. You can cram more gadgets in less space because you don't need room for the cords. (That doesn't seem like all that much room, but it adds up. A half inch saved is worth it.)

If your camera has a tripod mount, you might get use that to attach it to the board.

But... the largest thing you have on here is the speakers. You might consider modifying a bottle cage to hold the speakers, juat mounting the MP3 player on the dash.

My bands:
Old 01-22-08, 01:39 PM

Bikes: Carmel 3 26

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have the steel grooved it will add strength. Find a machine shop or body shop that has a bead roller. You can add design and be functional. Remember the best way is form follows function, not the other way around.
Old 01-22-08, 01:40 PM

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitto handlebar extension-the big one.
Old 01-22-08, 08:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acroy
1 - I suspect the steel will not be strong enough. too bendy.
Think I can get away with JB-welding two layers together, making 1.4mm of steel + a layer of jb weld?

moose67, what does it mean to "groove" steel?

neilfein, why not steel? Maybe steel with a jb-welded layer of wood? JB WELD IS KING! I'm not putting the speakers in a cage because I like them near me and pointed at my head when I'm riding. I'm considering just putting a rear rack on the front to hold lights and speakers. It'll look stupid, but who cares?
Old 01-22-08, 10:37 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pepper Grinder
neilfein, why not steel?
I was thinking about weight. but plastic and wood are easier to work with. Although if you have the tools to do this in metal, awesome.

Originally Posted by Pepper Grinder
I'm considering just putting a rear rack on the front to hold lights and speakers. It'll look stupid, but who cares?
How about using a seatpost rack on the front of the bike as a frame for this? If you get something simple, you might be able to curve it upwards if you have the equipment to soften the metal. It's doubtful if you can get the clamp to fit right out of the box, but there might be a way to rig it.

My bands:
Old 01-22-08, 11:19 PM
This user is a pipebomb

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's cool that you're carrying all of that stuff, but none of it's waterproof. What happens when it rains? Do you just not ride?
Old 01-23-08, 05:26 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brotherdan
It's cool that you're carrying all of that stuff, but none of it's waterproof. What happens when it rains? Do you just not ride?
I live in Southern California. It rains for maybe two weeks out of the year. I simply skip the electronics if I really need to ride, but I usually just stay indoors if it's wet and I don't need to ride. I don't need most of the electronics if I'm simply commuting to school in the rain, for which all I need are my lights, but the GPS really helps if I'm going somewhere new. The speakers just keep me entertained.

I don't find any of my gadgets to be annoyances, I rather enjoy their unique addition to my cycling experience.

I don't plan on rocking a fully loaded electronics-mobile on a day-to-day basis, rather I will switch things out as needed. I like my camera for when I'm doing interesting rides in a nice location with something cool to capture on video (like a descent), the lights for night rides, the GPS for new areas, the stereo for all the time.

The seatpost rack is a good idea, but I'm going to try to fix my rear rack on the front idea. Right now I'm having trouble with getting around the fork tubing. I'll get some washers and longer bolts tomorrow at Lowes.
Old 01-26-08, 04:55 PM
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you feel about double handlebars? This link contains links to a half-dozen sites that describe alternatives.

Old 01-26-08, 05:25 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I think the OP's bike has reached a point where riding is more about gadgets than actual riding.
Old 01-26-08, 08:59 PM

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the OP's approach. Definately love the idea of extending some of the area for some other items. Riding often can get boring and adding up some extra gear always keeps me going more and more and wanting to ride more.

To each thier own and more power to the OP.
Old 02-02-08, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you kidding me 1 speedmeter and one light is all you need what are you doing with a stero on a bicycle and what would you need a camera for. Good luck with it all.
Old 02-03-08, 12:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would go for a fork-mounted or brake-caliper mounted light or lights rather than put them on the bars. For speakers, you can probably velcro some smaller speakers on to your top bar, ala those Bento Boxes you see.

Don't put too much crap in front, as it will interfere with handling and safety.
Old 02-17-08, 07:14 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by genman
I would go for a fork-mounted or brake-caliper mounted light or lights rather than put them on the bars. For speakers, you can probably velcro some smaller speakers on to your top bar, ala those Bento Boxes you see.

Don't put too much crap in front, as it will interfere with handling and safety.

Handling will be less affected if you keep massive objects, like battery-filled flashlights and possibly the PDA, as close to the head tube axis as possible - they contribute minumum moment of inertia.

So, if the Dell can go on the stem extension and the headlamps on the fork blades, that frees up your bar tops for a cycling computer and the audio, and minimizes added "swinginess" in the handlebars at low speed. I would guess it's not perceptible at higher speeds, say 13 mph or greater.

Speaking of stereo, how's the imaging?

If you go to Nuvistors, you could design a miniaturized vacuum-tubed 'bar stereo! (LOL)

Road Fan
Old 02-17-08, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to your local autobody shop. I'm sure they can weld a 12" x 12 " tray to your bars. 1/4 inch diamond plate might look nice. Should only add 10 or 12 lbs.
Old 02-17-08, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda silly having all that crap on your bars isn't it?
Old 02-17-08, 12:56 PM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...SOON#SLIDESHOW
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 02-17-08, 10:46 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
This part of BF is like lifting a rock in your backyard and finding millions of Freds crawling around.
Old 02-18-08, 06:18 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Be sure to save some space to cut a hole to store your shaving mug, brush, mirror and kitchen sink

Glad to see you're at least using speakers instead of earbuds. Be safe.
Old 02-18-08, 06:54 AM
Not an internet law-maker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
Be sure to save some space to cut a hole to store your shaving mug, brush, mirror and kitchen sink

Glad to see you're at least using speakers instead of earbuds. Be safe.
I think the way all the gadgets are mounted to the bars makes the bike much more unsafe than using earbuds. Looks like the bike would have very poor handling and the op might be distracted fiddling with all those gadgets.

Where on earth do you ride carrying all that stuff? I can't see you going very far as the bike probably wouldn't be all that comfy without all the hand positions but then you have a huge gps unit which I could only see the need for if you are going a considerable distance.

Just get an edge 605 and an mp3 player with earbuds and turn off the mp3 player in urban areas so you can hear what's going on around you.
Old 02-18-08, 07:43 AM
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Just put one of these on the bars

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.