Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Metric Century (on rollers)

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Metric Century (on rollers)

Old 01-24-08, 04:00 PM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flip18436572
OK, then what about the people who are doing the "Alpe d'Huez" and other rides? Are they just watch a DVD and changing the settings**********

I don't know how they work, so I am curious.

Sorry about you being on a MAC. I really thought a MAC would be better for some of those things.
That would be me...

I have the Travel Trac RealAxiom. It is controlled by the computer to provide realistic resistance compared to the grade of the course. It takes into consideration a weight factor (I have it set at 30 pounds abocve my body weight to account for bike and gear) and tells you your speed, watts, HR if you get a wireless strap, cadence, etc. Keeps track of your virtual miles and climbing etc and lays it out for you for performance comparison. It's like a Computrainer, but not quite as advanced. I find it is overall pretty realistic on the "flats" and that the "climbs might be a tad easier but the "descents" are harder. It seems the way I have it set up sort of averages out. Of course, wind resistance isn't factored in either other than increasing the weight above your body weight.

It has video courses that you can buy and ride (2 come with the machine when you buy it). Or you can ride preprogrammed non-video courses or upload/enter your own course data to make a virtual (non-video) course.

I really like mine and love to be able to target my training to specific areas and watch the improvement over time. I can tell my power, cadence & HR has improved since I started using it.

Here is what it is https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

I'd still rather ride outside though. I got an Edge 305 for Christmas, so I'll be able to still keep a lot of my stats going, but I'll lose the power angle come spring. Although I'm using SportTracks and it "calculates" the power output based on weather conditions and aerodynamic profile (kind of). It's not really that accurate, but it should be a reasonable comparison over similar courses to watch the trends.
Old 01-24-08, 04:08 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WOW!!!

I didn't spend that much on two of the bikes we bought from the LBS this year.

I think I will stick with my $50.00 rollers.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun

Last edited by flip18436572; 01-24-08 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 04:43 PM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW!!!

I didn't spend that much on two of the bikes we bought from the LBS this year.

I think I will stick with my $50.00 rollers.
Hey, I hear ya. I won the money to buy it as a result of winning a fitness contest at work. Couldn't really get the award money to a LBS or I would probably have gotten a new bike. Never would have been able to buy it without winning it. But I do love having it.

Old 01-24-08, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, then what about the people who are doing the "Alpe d'Huez" and other rides? Are they just watch a DVD and changing the settings**********

I don't know how they work, so I am curious.

Sorry about you being on a MAC. I really thought a MAC would be better for some of those things.
The problem isn't the Mac, it's software companies that have accepted the Microsoft religion and only make Windows versions of their software. Usually the same companies use proprietary protocols between the device and computer as well, so nobody else can make their own version of the software either.
Old 01-24-08, 05:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnKScott
Hey, I hear ya. I won the money to buy it as a result of winning a fitness contest at work. Couldn't really get the award money to a LBS or I would probably have gotten a new bike. Never would have been able to buy it without winning it. But I do love having it.

Thanks for reminding me. I remember reading a post about that. I wish I could find that for $50.00 on craigslist like I did my rollers.
Old 01-24-08, 05:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
The problem isn't the Mac, it's software companies that have accepted the Microsoft religion and only make Windows versions of their software. Usually the same companies use proprietary protocols between the device and computer as well, so nobody else can make their own version of the software either.
I am a Microsoft person in the I.T. field and probably always will be. But, I really expected the bicycle world to be a different place. I guess I expected most things to be written for the MAC side of things first and the MS side to be lacking. But, I do remember people having GARMIN problems with the MAC side of things also.
Old 01-24-08, 07:50 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I am a Microsoft person in the I.T. field and probably always will be. But, I really expected the bicycle world to be a different place. I guess I expected most things to be written for the MAC side of things first and the MS side to be lacking. But, I do remember people having GARMIN problems with the MAC side of things also.
I spent 20 years in IT, everything from the Commie 8032 to a big blue machine that was the same size as the 100 ton Liebert water chiller that kept it from melting through the data center floor, ran MVS/XA IIRC. You wanna see panic in a computer room, just have the water chiller crap out in a data center that has to be up permanently, never saw MVS/XA crash.

I got out of IT in 2001 when the Y2K bubble burst, dot com turned into dot bomb, and they decided that paying a guy $0.08 an hour in India was better then paying a guy $80/hr in Canada..... These days my computer which used to run Windows and needed a daily reboot, runs Ubuntu and hasn't seen a reboot since Dec 26th when I refurbished it (new processor, main board and memory), and installed Ubuntu, $300 cheaper then Vista helped make that decision......
Old 01-25-08, 07:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran DEC VAX/VMS when I started and moved to MS. Worked many hours through Y2K to meet the automotive OEM requirements of testing. Some of our business went overseas in support, then our business went to Mexico and Canada, and they closed our building. Thanks NAFTA.

I really don't know the problems people have with Windows. I had Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers that were up over 365 days without a reboot in an Automotive OEM 24/365 environment. I had limited PC problems, and I am not going to run Vista, but I have an XP machine that hasn't been shut off, until last night for 200 plus days in my basement that I was using for network crap. I am in the middle of a remodel and shut it down for a few days.

But, back to the thread. It is something I started and then I hijacked it myself.

Today is another 40 mile roller day.
Old 01-25-08, 09:23 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Geeks on bikes?

Ah.. while we are at Mickey$oft.. my Outlook just crashed on my 1 month old computer and fresh windows XP install. I love it so much, I want to throw the laptop under a train. But then, I'm more a FreeBSD, OpenBSD user, so I'm not very keen about MS.

But doing a metric century on rollers is quite an achievement. I also train on rollers and the constant pedaling pushes my pulse constantly over 140 without getting any rest. It's pretty tough.
Old 01-25-08, 10:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scummer
Geeks on bikes?

But doing a metric century on rollers is quite an achievement. I also train on rollers and the constant pedaling pushes my pulse constantly over 140 without getting any rest. It's pretty tough.
If I am only going to do an hour, I really push myself and do some sort of interval workout. So, my heart rate will vary, but I will also get more miles in than normal also. Rollers really keep you working all the time as there is no rest for coasting.
Old 01-25-08, 02:36 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I ran DEC VAX/VMS when I started and moved to MS. Worked many hours through Y2K to meet the automotive OEM requirements of testing. Some of our business went overseas in support, then our business went to Mexico and Canada, and they closed our building. Thanks NAFTA.

I really don't know the problems people have with Windows. I had Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 servers that were up over 365 days without a reboot in an Automotive OEM 24/365 environment. I had limited PC problems, and I am not going to run Vista, but I have an XP machine that hasn't been shut off, until last night for 200 plus days in my basement that I was using for network crap. I am in the middle of a remodel and shut it down for a few days.

But, back to the thread. It is something I started and then I hijacked it myself.

Today is another 40 mile roller day.
I loved the VAX, we had a VAX 11/780 in college, we used to torture that poor beast, get 35 students in a computer lab, at about this time on a Friday afternoon, all key up a COBOL compile, and hit enter at the same time, listen as you hear the administrator 3 floors up in the computer room go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH as the poor machine went TILT! Once had solo use of that machine, it dropped the password table into a bad block of memory, and NOBODY could login, so here I am in the days when 32K of RAM and 2MHz 8 bit processor was state of the art in the PC world, with the full power of a VAX 11/780 at my disposal. It didn't last long, until it got rebooted out from under me, but it was fun while it lasted..... I was deeply saddened when I heard that DEC had been sold to Compaq..... Even more so when I heard that support was being dropped for the VAX line. some 19 years later

It's funny but there were actually very few NAFTA jobs created in Canada, instead it allowed them to ship resources from Canada (duty free) to Mexico for processing to be sold to the highest bidder with the US getting the proceeds. The worst thing about NAFTA is it increased the tightness of the binding of Canada's economy to the US one, so now as the US economy gets flushed (again), it's going to be tough to keep ours from circling the bowl as well.

Typically I have found with Windows, that if you take the machine remove all outside connections, encase it in concrete, and bury that under about 4km of earth, it will probably run. However if it's an active desktop machine, that gets used all the time, and has a connection to the internet, then it's probably going to have some issues. As for server reliability I had one machine that acted as a gateway between the house computers and the internet, it ran 1123 days without a reboot, unfortunately the great power failure a few years ago, was too much for it's circa 1993 power supply, it was cheaper to decommission it, then it was to try and find a new power supply for a 12 year old Packbell. It ran Linux, actually so does the Linksys router that replaced it. which got rebooted once, when the DSL box quit.

Other then a few programs that were not designed with other then Windows in mind, it works quite well, and most of those programs have alternates that work well enough.....
Old 01-25-08, 03:29 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You must have quite the imagination. I tend to doze of after about 60 minutes on a stationary vehicle. Congrats!
Old 01-25-08, 05:04 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rollers are not stationary, I always have to pay attention, or I don't keep on the rollers. Watching a movie can be a good thing, but I still have to look down once in a while to make sure I am not too far left or right. That is why I was thinking about a trainer.
Old 01-27-08, 11:16 PM
oh turbie twist~!

Bikes: '08 QR Lucero/'06 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roller quesitons

I'm currently riding on CycleOps alum rollers which were purchased about a week ago.

Since I don't have the a roller with side bumpers, how do you guys stay out of the saddle to stretch your legs? Out on the real road, it helps riding out of the saddle after saddle soreness. No matter how many times I've attempted to do this on the roller, it always feel like I'm about to fall off the bike when rocking my bike side by side.
Old 01-28-08, 06:48 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just keep your pedal strokes as smooth as possible. Everything I have learned about the rollers is that smoothness is the best thing. Small movements make a big difference. Give yourself some time to get more comfortable. I have been riding the rollers off and on for a month or so, but I still ride in a doorway as I have something on each side of me and I think it makes me more comfortable.
Old 01-28-08, 12:44 PM
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rollers are not stationary, I always have to pay attention, or I don't keep on the rollers. Watching a movie can be a good thing, but I still have to look down once in a while to make sure I am not too far left or right. That is why I was thinking about a trainer.
I recently picked up a set of rollers at Performance to compliment my Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. My SO had some trepidation about the rollers, so I got a Kreitler forkstand. Trepidation gone.
Old 01-28-08, 01:29 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
You're not supposed to be stationary on rollers
Rollers are used to train balance and even pedal strokes. I watch the morning and evening news when I'm on the rollers and as long as you pick a spot on the TV that you can fixate on once in a while, you will not fall of the rollers.

Also you need to try to work on the rollers with only one hand on the handle bar so you can wipe the sweat of your head, because it will be dripping like crazy. Hmm.. that sounded odd.
Old 01-28-08, 01:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a towel on the floor underneath the rollers and I keep my water bottle handy and a towel if needed. Usually I just let the sweat get on the towel or my shirt absorbs a lot of it.

One hand is no problem on the rollers, but I cannot get stable enough to do no hands to work on my one legged workouts that everyone says will make you a better cyclists.
Old 01-28-08, 02:31 PM
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rollers are used to train balance and even pedal strokes. I watch the morning and evening news when I'm on the rollers and as long as you pick a spot on the TV that you can fixate on once in a while, you will not fall of the rollers.
I don't necessarily disagree, and we will see how she feels about the rollers after some experience. I have some roller experience and the stock model sure offers little in the way of any resistance.
Old 01-28-08, 08:42 PM
oh turbie twist~!

Bikes: '08 QR Lucero/'06 Cannondale CAAD8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, but unless you're set up on a tri-bike/time-trial position practicing your pedaling strokes, it's okay to have fork stand.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hih5v9sTpyY

Last edited by SpeedyTSO; 01-28-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 09:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedyTSO
True, but unless you're set up on a tri-bike/time-trial position practicing your pedaling strokes, it's okay to have fork stand.
Huh, if you don't want to get better with your style, get a trainer. I thought about making a fork stand for my rollers when I just want to put on long miles and get some reading done at the same time.