Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

1989 Giant Iguana mod

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

1989 Giant Iguana mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300, Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1989 Giant Iguana mod

I found a 1989 Girls Giant Iguana 18 speed bike that someone left for dead, and decided to revive it. I converted it to a 27 speed with Shimano trigger shifters, but wasn't happy with the yellowing, chipped white frame.
So....I added a bar on top so it didn't look like a girls bike anymore 3 coats of Rustoleum Auto primer and 6 coats of Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel (Aluminum). I finished it off with 5 coats of clear enamel. I know it's not the greatest thing in the world, but I'm proud of it.

Here are a couple of pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (55.1 KB, 65 views)
Untitled-3.jpg (27.0 KB, 56 views)
Untitled-5.jpg (60.6 KB, 53 views)
Untitled-4.jpg (77.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-22-08, 08:53 PM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are you kidding? That thing rocks! Did you weld the top bar yourself? Nice work!
I also like your trekking bar setup. I ride with an old Scott AT-4 Pro and like it, but lately I've been thinking about changing it.

BTW, you know someone is going to ask......what's the black thing around your front chainring? Looks like a Frisbe.

Jerry H
Old 01-22-08, 09:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300, Giant Iguana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha, its a plastic chainguard. For the top bar I dremeled a Home Depot galvanized pipe, I filled it in with this steel putty, put a screw into the top where it meets near the headset area. As for where it meets under the seat post was a little tricky. If u look close you can see a small band, it a strip of metal that holds the bar there. It's pretty solid so far...
Old 01-25-08, 12:21 AM
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vasdef
For the top bar I dremeled a Home Depot galvanized pipe, I filled it in with this steel putty, put a screw into the top where it meets near the headset area. As for where it meets under the seat post was a little tricky. If u look close you can see a small band, it a strip of metal that holds the bar there. It's pretty solid so far...
Barbaric! But I think it looks cool too- kinda like a backwards mixte frame. Enjoy your ride.