Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MTB to Tourer

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

MTB to Tourer

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB to Tourer

Would a Cannondale Killer V500 make a decent commuter/ light touring bike? I have some trekking handlebars that I will put on, and some slicks. One of the things was wondering about is the front suspension, would it be benefical or go with no shock. I also would image that I would have to change the gearing somewhat.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2040/...ab60a101f6.jpg
Old 01-24-08, 05:23 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Commuting I'm sure it'd be fine. Touring may be another story.

To me, it depends on how long a tour you're doing. 1 week, maybe 2, almost anything with wide tires, low gearing and enough heel clearance is fine. And, of course, assuming it's mechanically sound.

As to the front shock: for light touring (i.e. no front rack) it's personal preference. I don't think it's ideal but if you like it, no worries. You may want to check if you can lock the suspension.

Also, swap out the tires for slicks.
Old 01-24-08, 05:40 PM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why don't you use that Rockhopper?
Old 01-24-08, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Route-x bent, GT Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This type of thread comes up fairly frequently. I would say the front fork is not an issue except for weight. I tour on a hybrid which had a suspension shock, I bought a steel rigid touring fork from Nashbar ($40) and had my LBS put it on instead of the suspension fork. A rigid steel fork is a better option and it's lighter by about 4 pounds. The slicks are imperative. As far as heel strike, or a front rack, it's only an issue if you use panniers. I personally use a trailer for touring, and a rack and small panniers for commuting, all on the same bike. A trailer is a nice option, and people either love them or loathe them. In the final analysis, a quality trailer really doesn't cost much more than a quality set of panniers and a set of racks. The heel strike doesn't come into play unless you have long, full size panniers in the back.
Old 01-25-08, 03:28 AM

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. My Rockhopper has served me well for a couple years, but I was trying to build you another for my brother to use when we go riding.