Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Biomedical Engineering and Cycling applications

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 01-27-08, 12:05 AM

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Classic, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin, Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I've posted frequently in other forums here, but now I'm looking to start working on some lifetime projects. So, I'm gonna give a little bit of background on myself first.
I'm a biomedical engineer, and although I no longer work as a professional in engineering (no thanks to the market in the US), by no means have I abandoned my chosen field of study. Back in 1996, I did my senior thesis on muscular signal collection and analysis, and constructed an artificial electromechanical arm for a NASA related project. I was going over my old notes and data, and it dawned on me that so far as I can tell, I have yet to see a study based on maximum muscle contraction, data collection, and analysis in ALL the cycling positions and geometries. Does anyone know where I can locate information on this, if it exists? Also, when I worked as a bicycle mechanic, there was an old technical journal, I believed it was called bicycling science and technology, which I think was a quarterly journal on all the scientific, engineering, and technical applications of bicycling. It's no longer published.

So, are there any engineers, physiologists, or scientists here who can point me to where I can find the archives of that publication? For the life of me, I searched on the internet for the last 4 years, and I can't find jack. I do have the bicycling science book, but I haven't found any information in there regarding this.

The reason why I'm asking this, is I'm interested in designing and building my own frame, and more particularly, my own geometry, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.