Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Friendly Routes?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Friendly Routes?

Old 01-27-08, 08:56 PM
Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Friendly Routes?

Do you guys know of any sites that make it easy to find a bike-friendly route to a destination, I know some of the sites have options to avoid highways, but I tried that and there is a highway here that it isn't blocking and it would definitely be illegal to bike on it.
Old 01-27-08, 09:57 PM
This user is a pipebomb

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2001, GT ZR3000 2001, Raleigh One Way 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you plot a route in google maps you can drag the line around to avoid roads that you don't want to travel on
Old 01-28-08, 10:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's also a check box on Google maps that says "avoid major highways." The map then automatically finds the most efficient non-Interstate/controlled highway route. Near major cities, however, those "non-highway" routes can also be very heavily trafficked.

I've been doing a lot of this kind of "wish-routing" on Google lately, and tweaking the route line around to fit smaller roads is very useful -- and lots of fun. Enjoy!
Old 01-28-08, 10:39 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maps.ask.com has the feature to create walking routes, but it's not all that much better than google's "avoid highways" feature. I tend to draw my routes by hand in bikely.com, looking at the satellite photos where I'm in doubt.

My bands:
Old 01-29-08, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 552 Posts
I've had good luck with Google maps "avoid major highways" option, but I am fairly tolerant of traffic. This usually results in a ridable route. In any case it is still necessary to do some reality checking in some areas. If the reality check says that it selected a road that I don't want to ride I drag the route to somewhere preferable.

If in doubt ask people who know the area.
Old 01-29-08, 08:11 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kopid03
Do you guys know of any sites that make it easy to find a bike-friendly route to a destination, I know some of the sites have options to avoid highways, but I tried that and there is a highway here that it isn't blocking and it would definitely be illegal to bike on it.
You could search Bikely.com for others who might have entered a route traversing the area. Depending on where "here" is, you may find some alternate routes created by others.

If you are trying to find a route in a rural area, perhaps your state department of transportation has either suggested bike routes or traffic count maps for highways that could be used to select suitable roads.
Old 01-29-08, 10:05 AM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where are you? You may have more luck posting in the regional forums.

My bands:
Old 01-29-08, 04:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two thoughts:

First, many states have some form of a map for bikers. It usually shows the better biking roads.

Second, if doing a long distance trip, then consider ACA's maps.
Old 01-29-08, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kopid03
Get a cheap GPS like the non-color Gamin Legend. Then get the software for that unit and here's what I discovered.

Using the auto routefeature on the GPS (or any software) returns horrible results. The only way to do it right is to do yourself. I like riding on city streets and subdivions but this type of planning takes time and lots of turns. Roads that appear in RED on the Garmin software are to be avoided. Roads that are a straight line are often fast highways and should be taken with caution.

Have fun making routes.