Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

regluing a Mavic G3 rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 05:26 PM
#$%^&*

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
regluing a Mavic G3 rear wheel

Hi

Does someone know if it is easy/relatively common to have to reglue the body of a Mavic wheel?

And also how easy it is to convert this wheel from freewheel to fixed? (or to a front wheel?)

Thanks!!

Last edited by paulv; 01-28-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 05:52 PM
#$%^&*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: wondering... maybe this is a question I should cross-post in the road subforum?
Old 01-28-08, 06:14 PM
Dazzler

Bikes: All of them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you talking about gluing a broken carbon wheel? I wouldn't do it, if I was you.
Old 01-28-08, 06:29 PM
#$%^&*

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thiskidgotmoxie
Are you talking about gluing a broken carbon wheel? I wouldn't do it, if I was you.
No, no, sorry I explained it wrong, I edited out the reference to the Mavic disc of David Millar in my post because it was confusing - in his case, the rim separated from the carbon. Here, the structure of the carbon is intact, but aluminum body somehow spins (if you pedalled, you would go nowhere...) and would need to be glued (or something?)

I seem to remember reading about this being somewhat common, and fixable, with Mavic wheels, but could not find the info online now that I searched for it.

Ditto about replacing the axle or body (or whatever would need to be replaced) to use this road wheel on the track.
Old 01-30-08, 01:59 AM
dan bones!

Bikes: iro mark v for street, sh itamori peloton for track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey paulie.

this sounds kinda similar to the problem folks were having with the aerospoke rear hubs where it would develop play between the alu hub and the carbon (graphite?) body. apparently aerospoke's solution was to JB weld them. i dunno what they do on current models, but that's not relevant here.

i guess you could try JB weld, but it sounds to me like your hub body could suddenly turn weirdly freewheel on you.
Old 01-30-08, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldenskeletons
hey paulie.

this sounds kinda similar to the problem folks were having with the aerospoke rear hubs where it would develop play between the alu hub and the carbon (graphite?) body. apparently aerospoke's solution was to JB weld them. i dunno what they do on current models, but that's not relevant here.

i guess you could try JB weld, but it sounds to me like your hub body could suddenly turn weirdly freewheel on you.
Nah, this sounds pretty different from the aerospoke problem. The aerospokes were developing play because of wear on the composite at the hub interface.

This just sounds like whatever method attached the rim failed.

All that said, I really don't know of any solution, sorry.