Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Bicyclist tased when he runs for minor infraction

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 08:16 PM

Bikes: 06 Felt F3C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Saw this on Drudge. Let this be a lesson to all you kids out there, don't run from The Man.
Old 01-29-08, 09:24 PM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go here: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/383561-deputy-tags-guy-bike.html

This story has been posted, oh, at least 4 times today in various places.

And I disagree with your slant on it, sarcastic or not.
Old 01-29-08, 09:34 PM
Euro-Trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as I want to side with the guy on the bike, I really find it hard to. Sure, it's bullsh*t that cops pull guys over for not having proper lighting, but if you're asked to pull over, running may not be in your best interests.
Old 01-29-08, 10:43 PM

Bikes: IF Club Racer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He dropped the bike and ran from the cop, you can't do that and expect a cop to just let you go.
Old 01-29-08, 11:32 PM
Dagger Boy

Bikes: 1999 GT 5.0i mountain, 2004 Basso Reef road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
He dropped the bike and ran from the cop, you can't do that and expect a cop to just let you go.
you can expect the cop to leave you alone, but cops are like pit bulls in that regard. once they got you, you are gonna be screwed up unless you play nice...
Old 01-29-08, 11:46 PM
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Alcohol = bad judgment

Bad judgment + police = attitude adjustment / lumps on the grape / electric shock / spicy spritzer (pepper spray).

Let THAT be a lesson to the kids out there.
Old 01-30-08, 08:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of crack dealers make their deliverys on a bicycle so that they won't lose a car if caught.
Old 01-30-08, 09:36 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronjon10
+1 Cops are always assumed to be bullies except when folks really need their help (then they're called heroes, of course). From what I read, the guy was shot at when he took off running after being stopped. How did that cop who stopped the guy know whether or not that bike was stolen?
Old 01-30-08, 11:13 AM
How much does it weigh?

Bikes: Lotus Fixed, Bianchi Virata 2004

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
From what I read, the guy was shot at when he took off running after being stopped. How did that cop who stopped the guy know whether or not that bike was stolen?
This is all I'll say on this. I do agree that people should not (necessarily) run from a police officer, however I can safely assume that the majority of you who have responded thus far have not experienced what I have experienced, first hand, in dealing with the local authorities in my lifetime thus far. Noted, my experiences are still relatively light compared to an overwhelming majority of the world and their experiences with police, yet I do consider options when the situation does come up. Again, my experiences are light compared to the rest of the world and have occurred as a consequence of race, prejudice, bias, abuse of authority, and incompetence. NONE of my experiences have come out of incidences where I have broken a law - yet, still, my experiences have been enough for me to question points of action in certain scenarios.

Now, as for this case: Clearly this person was afraid of police. Perhaps from prior experience (not necessarily in this country)? I put myself in his shoes: if I'm undocumented in another country and having bad experiences with police in the past, would I run? F*ck yeah I would.

On being undocumented: I have been undocumented, briefly, in another country. Many of my white, pure-blooded American friends have been as well, so this isn't a race issue. Many of you here might think that you may never find yourself in another country, undocumented - but never say never. Things happen, and circumstances change which may necessitate you doing so, regardless of what citizenships you hold grant you whatever rights you think you may have.

So here we have a guy, undocumented, who is using a BICYCLE (clean transport, money saving, not traffic-causing or carbon emitting) to get around. Clearly he's in this country to earn some money to send back from wherever he's from, to help his family out... and, again, based off of prior fears he's confronted by a cop and runs out of fear that everything he has strived for and fought against the odds towards will get destroyed.

A stolen bike eliciting a shot from a police officer?!? That's a bit excessive. This isn't a car. He wasn't riding a Pinarello. (and even if he was, what are the chances that a police officer would know the value of a particular bicycle? Near zero that's what.) A bicycle is NOT a weapon (whereas a car/truck/large vehicle can be and often is).

That's all I'll say but add one more thing that applies to a much bigger thing: People in this country need to travel more. Not travel within the country, but travel internationally. Extensively. Go to places that people don't 'normally' go to. NOT your typical, gentrified tourist destinations. NOT while on a tour of duty while holding a gun. NOT while part of some tour group, being led on a bus and holding together like a flock of sheep. People really, really need to get lost and get found again. People need to see what the rest of the world experiences, how diverse it is, and how much you have over here, where you live, and what every single thing you take for granted. Really.
Old 01-30-08, 11:22 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by prendrefeu
Clearly he's in this country to earn some money to send back from wherever he's from, to help his family out... and, again, based off of prior fears he's confronted by a cop and runs out of fear that everything he has strived for and fought against the odds towards will get destroyed.
I read the article in the link and didn't see this information. Thanks for clarifying that he wasn't a criminal.
Old 01-30-08, 11:28 AM
I'm Just Sayin'.....

Bikes: A Carbon One With A Brooks Swift Strapped To It!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and dare i say he wasnt simply "undocumented" but had "false citizenship/government documents". now im not a fan of the police and some of their tactics either(having been on the recieving end of them once or twice back wen my band played keg parties many moons ago.), but its not like this guy was just rolling down the street minding his own biz. as he was also booked for being under the influence im gonna guess he was weaving or generally riding like a ******, which was probably what caught the cops attention.
Old 01-30-08, 11:41 AM
cherish the day

Bikes: Rivendel Sam Hillborne, SOMA San Marcos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's all I'll say but add one more thing that applies to a much bigger thing: People in this country need to travel more. Not travel within the country, but travel internationally. Extensively. Go to places that people don't 'normally' go to. NOT your typical, gentrified tourist destinations. NOT while on a tour of duty while holding a gun. NOT while part of some tour group, being led on a bus and holding together like a flock of sheep. People really, really need to get lost and get found again. People need to see what the rest of the world experiences, how diverse it is, and how much you have over here, where you live, and what every single thing you take for granted. Really.
This is a bit off topic, but I'm definitely going to have to agree with you. I've been fortunate enough to live in parts of Europe for about a half a year and the reaction I had when returing home was life changing. As much as I've enjoyed the added culture and ambiance of Europe, I'd never trade my residence; life is just SO good (and comfortable) here in the states.
Old 01-30-08, 11:50 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A stolen bike eliciting a shot from a police officer?!? That's a bit excessive. This isn't a car. He wasn't riding a Pinarello. (and even if he was, what are the chances that a police officer would know the value of a particular bicycle? Near zero that's what.) A bicycle is NOT a weapon (whereas a car/truck/large vehicle can be and often is).

Obviously, this subject is one that matters to you. But you left out the part about the alcohol (he was drinking which most likely affected his judgment on whether to run or not). If he had been in a car, I doubt this would have been posted on this forum as he would have been just considered a drunk driver. After all, a drunk, illegal immigrant wouldn't matter to anyone if pulled over by the police and taken off the road where he could hit and kill someone - and because he's undocumented, he doubtfully has car insurance or even a license, which would leave the family of any deceased victim he could strike while driving intoxicated with no resources to cover their tragic loss.

I hate the discussion of illegal immigrants in this country, because it general dissolves into screaming matches, so I won't go there here except to say that I don't wish ill on anyone and I don't blame anyone for wanting a better life (i.e. desiring to live in the big 'ol USA), but I have no pity for those pulled over for drinking and driving (nor would I ask for any if I had ever been pulled over - I've just been lucky in my lifetime that I never got caught or killed anyone. I'm sharing this info, because I don't wish to be a hypocrite on the subject. At this point in my life, I try never to drink over the legal limit and drive a car...or ride a bike).

Which leads me to my last point - a bike IS a weapon if it strikes someone and injures or kills that person. And an impaired cyclist can strike and kill someone. I'm sure it's happened although I don't know the statistics. Regardless, as cyclists we are expected to follow the same laws as motorists (especially if we wish to be respected and granted the same rights as motorists when out riding our bikes). Therefore, I don't view this as some poor little guy just here in this country to better his life scared of police based on his past experiences and thus that was why he ran. I also refuse to view police officers (male or female) as a generalized group of bullies regardless of the individual stories I hear (yes, there are some very bad cops out there, but not every single one and every single situation is “bad cop abusing power”).

Instead, I view this situation, based on that tiny article I read (i.e. I don’t have all the facts nor do any of us), as one where a man quite possibly intoxicated was out riding his bike without lights (which is very dangerous and HE could have been hit by a motorist as well, causing a whole world of hurt for himself and the motorist), who got pulled over by the police. The police were within their rights to pull him over, and when he ran, they broke no policy by shooting at him with a taser gun.

By the way, he wasn't injured. They did, however, take him to the hospital to ensure he was okay – someone’s tax dollars being put to real good use right there!
Old 01-30-08, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Granted that some/all of us have different firsthand experiences with law enforcement, the points in the article that stuck out for me were:

where he was cleared for booking into the Glenn County Jail on suspicion of resisting arrest, riding a bicycle without proper lighting, riding under the influence of alcohol and use of false citizenship/government documents.

As he was running not only from the officer but towards a home, he presented himself as a possible threat to the people living in the home, etc. - the officer fired a shot (guy received no shock), got to him, arrested him. It wasn't like he kicked the guy in the head several times after shocking him repeatedly.

I'm sure that there's always every backstory to the story, but I don't see how we can make certain assumptions.

Now, as for this case: Clearly this person was afraid of police. Perhaps from prior experience (not necessarily in this country)?
He ran because he was afraid. Afraid of the police due to a prior experience, or watched a Rodney King rerun marathon? Perhaps. Afraid because he knew he was under the influence and had false documents? Perhaps.

Clearly he's in this country to earn some money to send back from wherever he's from, to help his family out... and, again, based off of prior fears he's confronted by a cop and runs out of fear that everything he has strived for and fought against the odds towards will get destroyed.
It's not clear to me the reasons he is here, as it was not explained in the article, nor am I comfortable assuming that he is 1) here for the betterment of his family, or 2) he has prior fears of being confronted by a cop. Granted that the majority of "undocumented" people are here in this country for the betterment of themselves and their family, I don't feel that it is the issue here with this particular article. Man was stopped on his bicycle, ran from the officer for who knows why, officer took action to be able to detain the individual.

I don't mean any personal offense to anyone, but just wanted to express my thoughts on our inclinations to formulate assumptions. On a side note, I echo the sentiment that travelling is a wonderful thing to do to perpetuate self-discovery and learning about others.
Old 01-30-08, 11:57 AM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Choices ---> Consequences
Old 01-30-08, 12:04 PM
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i had a toy like that, i'd probably use it pretty liberally as well. especially on disorderly kids.
Old 01-30-08, 12:10 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...or:

"On your left.

"On your LEFT!"

"ON YOUR LEFT!"

(pause)

BZZZZZTTTT!!!

Old 01-30-08, 12:14 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DScott
...or:

"On your left.

"On your LEFT!"

"ON YOUR LEFT!"

(pause)

BZZZZZTTTT!!!

OMG...now that was funny.
Old 01-30-08, 01:20 PM
cedar street slut

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/4490

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who the **** farted?
Old 01-30-08, 01:25 PM
oo..O.O.o..OO...o

Bikes: Synapse

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Don't tase me, Moe!!

Old 01-30-08, 02:36 PM
FSU Bulldogs Red Wave

Bikes: Bottecchia, Rocky Mountain, TREK, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read all this and am puzzled: which part of 'illegal' is hard to understand? I got to this country the 'legal' way. Back then, (in the 1970s) it was a long process. It was a painful process. Governments (ours and foreign ones) move very slowly. It was an expensive process. I FOLLOWED THE PROCESS. Am I being insensitive calling illegal immigrants illegal? I don't think so.
My father was a Police Officer overseas. I've dealt with Police here on numerous occasions. If you're told to STOP you do so...you don't run. If you don't understand English, the red and blue flashing lights and sirens are a huge clue. You don't run. Just like most people here, I think there are way too many cops that may be trigger happy because of the difficulty of their job.
If a series of poor choices leads to a confrontation with the Police, then you comply. It can always get worse. A ticket or, in this guy's case, possible deportation is better than the shock of a lifetime or even death by a cop's shot. This is NOT meant to say that all stops are justified or right. It is meant to say that sometimes people need to take their lumps quietly, and not make bad things / situations worse.
My $.02
Old 01-30-08, 02:42 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ggallin
who the **** farted?

The dog, of course...who else...
Old 01-30-08, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Super6, Highball, BSB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, the criminal never was tased. It was just an attempted tasing. Ah the regrets Deputy Smith must reliving.