Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

335 miles in 17 hours

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
335 miles in 17 hours

I just decided on my goal for this summer and signed up for the 17 hour group in my cyclingclub riding the yearly race from Trondheim to Oslo. I will try to follow most of the three times a week practice sessions leading up to the race on the 21. of june. It is a good feeling having set a goal and it makes it easier to train more wisely. Over forty riders from the club aims for 17 hours so we are many to share the work. The club regurlarly wins the race so they have a lot of knowhow for this kind of group riding.
Old 02-01-08, 10:51 AM

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plodderslusk
I just decided on my goal for this summer and signed up for the 17 hour group in my cyclingclub riding the yearly race from Trondheim to Oslo. I will try to follow most of the three times a week practice sessions leading up to the race on the 21. of june. It is a good feeling having set a goal and it makes it easier to train more wisely. Over forty riders from the club aims for 17 hours so we are many to share the work. The club regurlarly wins the race so they have a lot of knowhow for this kind of group riding.
Good luck! A friend of mine mentioned that his dad does Trondheim-Oslo in the 50-59 category and the stories all make it sound like a rather awesome event. Looking forward to photos if you can get them.
Old 02-01-08, 02:03 PM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, averaging 20mph for 17 hours would be quite an accomplishment, even in a big group. Keep us posted!
Old 02-02-08, 11:04 AM
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would be amazing, and it's totally doable with 30+ people; holding 20 mph on a flat, windless road while drafting is so easy and fun.

I hope you don't get too many people that drop out because of lack of hydration or fitness, or mechanicals. Flat tires may slow you down, do you have any wheel support?
Old 02-02-08, 02:01 PM

This club, Rye has a long historyof doing this race and knows how to do it. I am a total newbie and will do exactly as I am told. We will have at least four cars following our group. everyone will have his/hers box with "goodies" for the few breaks allowed. If someone has a flat, it is permitted to catch up with the group drafting one of the cars. Doing it in 17 hours depends on the weather. This group will adjust the pace so that as many as possible will make it. The group who has won the race the last six years waits for noone and averages 40 k an hour for the distance.
Old 02-02-08, 08:11 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
wow

my race videos
Old 06-21-08, 07:01 PM

It is the middle of the night and I am just home from riding this event. Things worked out well and aside from rains and headwind in the mountain part of the ride it was a great experience. We finished in 16 hours 52 minutes with which I am very satisfied. Lots of nice people along the route and quite a lot of participants from other countries.
Old 06-21-08, 09:33 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Well done!
Old 06-23-08, 09:31 AM
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
It is the middle of the night and I am just home from riding this event. Things worked out well and aside from rains and headwind in the mountain part of the ride it was a great experience. We finished in 16 hours 52 minutes with which I am very satisfied. Lots of nice people along the route and quite a lot of participants from other countries.
Bravo!

Enjoy the afterglow! Eat, drink and be merry for a few days- you earned it.
Old 06-23-08, 10:22 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Holy cow!
I'll be happy next month to finish approximately 2/3 that distance in around the same amount of time.
Old 06-23-08, 01:39 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
congratulations! that's quite the acheivement.

i recently did about the same distance, but it took me ~32 hours.. out of curiousity, how much climbing was involved?

my race videos
Old 06-23-08, 02:33 PM

3350 meters all together with a max at 1040 meters. I am feeling good right now, did some long hill intervals earlier tonight. I am now more inclined to sign up for London Edinburgh London next year. Hope there will be lots of you US folks there. You are friendly and talkative which is a very good thing on a long ride.
Old 06-27-08, 09:33 AM

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! Nice job!
Old 06-27-08, 11:52 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Wow... nice work. 20mph in a paceline for 17hours is nothing to sneeze at.