Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

OK, It's Not Cross Country, But....

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 10:13 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

...it's a start.

My big tour in 2008 isn't going to be cross country, but instead, as training for riding across the US in 2009, I'm going to travel the Pittsburgh to Washington DC trail route the first week in June. The current plan is to drive out to Pittsburgh with Neil F. on Saturday, begin riding Sunday morning, and arrive in the nation's capital the following Saturday. We will camp as needed, with the occasional break in a hotel or a kind person's home.

At the moment I'm 20 or so pounds over my summer weight, 40 some pounds from my goal weight, have never gone on a tour longer than four days, still don't know much about riding a bike, and have never been camping. And now I want to ride nearly 350 miles in seven days and camp:

My motivation is back!

Old 02-01-08, 10:16 AM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Great! You'll also have a blast doing it, I'm sure

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-01-08, 10:49 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Jealous - I absolutely want to do that route someday. Have a blast!

It's the year of the enema!
Old 02-01-08, 12:24 PM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been eyeballing that rail trail for some time now. Best of luck and be sure to take pictures. I'm sure you'll have a blast and remember, camping is in tents (intense).

Advice: pick up one of these bed rolls. It will make your stay on pointy uneven ground much more pleasant. The inflatable ones crush down taking up less space and offering more support than foam based egg crate pads.
Old 02-01-08, 12:55 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Suggestion: Go camping a couple of times before you go touring, get it sorted out what you need and what you don't need. You may be amazed at the pile of stuff you feel it necessary to bring, and helps if that amazement comes a month or two beforehand rather than the night before when you're packing.

Years ago, I made up a checklist of all the camping stuff and I go through and check off what I need and don't need and what is packed and what isn't. Keeps you from getting a day down the way and discovering you forgot toilet paper or some other necessity.

I've got a nice tent and nice sleeping bag, but also got a much smaller 1-man tent and a warm-weather sleeping bag that are much more compact.

Sleeping on the ground (with a 1/2" pad)- I went camping in Guadalupe Mountains NP one time. First night, I woke up about every half hour. Second night, woke up a time or two. Thir night, slept right through, 12 hours. So part of the secret is just getting used to it.
Old 02-01-08, 01:24 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Suggestion: Go camping a couple of times before you go touring, get it sorted out what you need and what you don't need. You may be amazed at the pile of stuff you feel it necessary to bring, and helps if that amazement comes a month or two beforehand rather than the night before when you're packing.

Years ago, I made up a checklist of all the camping stuff and I go through and check off what I need and don't need and what is packed and what isn't. Keeps you from getting a day down the way and discovering you forgot toilet paper or some other necessity.

I've got a nice tent and nice sleeping bag, but also got a much smaller 1-man tent and a warm-weather sleeping bag that are much more compact.

Sleeping on the ground (with a 1/2" pad)- I went camping in Guadalupe Mountains NP one time. First night, I woke up about every half hour. Second night, woke up a time or two. Thir night, slept right through, 12 hours. So part of the secret is just getting used to it.
Added suggestion: Go over to the Touring Forum and ask questions. Lots of experience and suggestions there, too.

Further added suggestion: 350 miles in 7 days is about right for touring. When I tour, I try to keep it at around 50 miles per day. You are on vacation Don't race. Do some detective work beforehand, find some cool places you want to see and take time to see them! Although you will remember the ride, the extra bits...a neat museum, a talk with a kind stranger, a great meal, etc...will stick with you much longer then the pedaling.

Stop. Smell the roses. Enjoy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-01-08, 02:34 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Added suggestion: Go over to the Touring Forum and ask questions. Lots of experience and suggestions there, too.
I've been spending a lot of time on the Touring forum lately; they've indeed been very helpful.

bautieri, those bed rolls look like the bomb, but they're expensive! I figured around $20 for something like that.

Neil and I both have tents, and I have a sleeping bag (Neil B. needs to get one, I think). He's the one who beat me over the head until I agreed to start camping on tour. I'm looking around my area for campgrounds to camp in to try the new gear out in, but I may just use the backyard when it starts getting warmer.

Even though 50 miles/day for 7 days is a stretch, I'm not all that worried about the riding part of it. I've done a 5-day tour and Neil and I did a 4-day one together. We've learned a lot of what not to do... but I think we're getting into a rhythm. We have two more weekend tours planned before the summer, the one on March involving camping.

My bands:
Old 02-01-08, 05:59 PM
Bikezilla

Bikes: Co-Motion Mazama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is that a car-free trail? Neat!

Camping is fun. I'm sure there are stops along the way to pick up necessary goods.

Have fun!
Old 02-01-08, 06:34 PM
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Neil's On Wheels is coming to the 'Burgh for the start of the tour. Cool! I hope I'm able to get up there to say hello, and send you off with well wishes. I used to live right near the trails beginning in Pittsburgh, so if I can be of any help, feel free to ask.

And may I suggest The Great Allegheny Passage Yahoo Group for up to date info on the Passage.

Denny
Old 02-01-08, 07:23 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 02-01-08, 08:56 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We already had one BFer offer to put us up, but we'd be happy to meet up with non-serial-killer-type folks along the way. Just sayin'...

My bands:
Old 02-01-08, 08:59 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Backyard for teh first night is a great start....

You can learn how to set the tent up quickly.

NOTE: Don't forget to seal the seams on your tents......you'll sleep a LOT drier if it rains

Originally Posted by neilfein
I've been spending a lot of time on the Touring forum lately; they've indeed been very helpful.

bautieri, those bed rolls look like the bomb, but they're expensive! I figured around $20 for something like that.

Neil and I both have tents, and I have a sleeping bag (Neil B. needs to get one, I think). He's the one who beat me over the head until I agreed to start camping on tour. I'm looking around my area for campgrounds to camp in to try the new gear out in, but I may just use the backyard when it starts getting warmer.

Even though 50 miles/day for 7 days is a stretch, I'm not all that worried about the riding part of it. I've done a 5-day tour and Neil and I did a 4-day one together. We've learned a lot of what not to do... but I think we're getting into a rhythm. We have two more weekend tours planned before the summer, the one on March involving camping.

Old 02-01-08, 09:40 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by cyccommute

Further added suggestion: 350 miles in 7 days is about right for touring. When I tour, I try to keep it at around 50 miles per day. You are on vacation Don't race. Do some detective work beforehand, find some cool places you want to see and take time to see them! Although you will remember the ride, the extra bits...a neat museum, a talk with a kind stranger, a great meal, etc...will stick with you much longer then the pedaling.

Stop. Smell the roses. Enjoy.
I agree with you about the Surley Long Haul Trucker For-, err, the Touring Forum. But I wanted to share details of my plans with my friends - both of them - on the Clydesdale Forum.

And I am determined to get to see interesting sights along the trail, and nearby. Fallingwater, for instance. Sharpsburg battlefield. Harper's Ferry. Neil F. being eaten by a bear.....

Old 02-01-08, 09:47 PM

Bear Spray.......it works well!

Originally Posted by The Historian
I agree with you about the Surley Long Haul Trucker For-, err, the Touring Forum. But I wanted to share details of my plans with my friends - both of them - on the Clydesdale Forum.

And I am determined to get to see interesting sights along the trail, and nearby. Fallingwater, for instance. Sharpsburg battlefield. Harper's Ferry. Neil F. being eaten by a bear.....

Old 02-01-08, 10:02 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget Kentuck Knob. It's another Wright house just 7 miles from Fallingwater. They're both very interesting.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 02-01-08, 10:03 PM
Neil_B

Neil and I both have tents, and I have a sleeping bag (Neil B. needs to get one, I think).
Amazon says the tent and sleeping pad should be here probably Monday. The sleeping bag is on back order. Meanwhile, I have a Wal-mart bag.

He's the one who beat me over the head until I agreed to start camping on tour.
No, my wallet did. The cost of the Christmas tour was obscene. If we wanted to continue to tour together I had to break you of your habits of hotels and expensive meals.

I'm looking around my area for campgrounds to camp in to try the new gear out in, but I may just use the backyard when it starts getting warmer.
Not a bad option. It's not one I can use, since there's a dog living here. :-)

It's in April, Neil. You will freeze in a PA March. :-) The campground at Green Lane isn't open until April anyway.

We've both learned, and learned from each other. I've become more patient, and Neil F. has become a little more focused on 'going the distance' instead of just riding around looking at stuff. When we first began to ride together on tours, I had somewhat greater experience pacing myself on long rides Part of pacing is knowing when to push on and when to linger. Neil's picking up on this.

Old 02-01-08, 10:06 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Beverly
Don't forget Kentuck Knob. It's another Wright house just 7 miles from Fallingwater. They're both very interesting.
Yes, and Kentuck Knob is on the OTHER side of the trail from Fallingwater. Who knew there was so much to see around Ohiopyle?

Old 02-01-08, 10:07 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by bautieri
I've been eyeballing that rail trail for some time now. Best of luck and be sure to take pictures. I'm sure you'll have a blast and remember, camping is in tents (intense).

Advice: pick up one of these bed rolls. It will make your stay on pointy uneven ground much more pleasant. The inflatable ones crush down taking up less space and offering more support than foam based egg crate pads.
You could join us on the tour. You aren't doing anything important in June, are you?

Old 02-01-08, 10:15 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Mazama
Is that a car-free trail? Neat!

Camping is fun. I'm sure there are stops along the way to pick up necessary goods.

Have fun!
Here's the map page:

https://www.atatrail.org/maps/map.cfm

Old 02-01-08, 10:26 PM
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd love to make that trip someday, Fallingwater + Some seriously amazing views..
Old 02-01-08, 10:31 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by TrekDen
Neil's On Wheels is coming to the 'Burgh for the start of the tour. Cool! I hope I'm able to get up there to say hello, and send you off with well wishes. I used to live right near the trails beginning in Pittsburgh, so if I can be of any help, feel free to ask.

And may I suggest The Great Allegheny Passage Yahoo Group for up to date info on the Passage.

Denny
I'd enjoy seeing you again, and if Neil F. can avoid repeating his stunt from Lancaster, I'm sure he'd enjoy meeting you again too. And I'm looking forward to seeing Pittsburgh again. Do they still have those little sandwiches with the cole slaw and fries in the middle?

The biggest problem we have is getting to Pittsburgh. My car will not take a bike rack, and we probably can't get both bikes in the back seat of my Neilmobile. Besides, where would I park it in Pittsburgh for a week, and how would I get back to it? Amtrak's Philadelphia to Pittsburgh service doesn't have checked baggage, so we can't get the bikes on board. Flying is a possibility, but then we need to check our tents, clothes, bikes, etc. I'm not going to travel via Greyhound, or trust them with my bike. So we are probably going to have to rent a car with a bike rack and I'll drive across PA. Any suggestions for a better way to get to the 'burgh are welcome.

Old 02-01-08, 10:33 PM
Neil_B

We already had one BFer offer to put us up, but we'd be happy to meet up with non-serial-killer-type folks along the way. Just sayin'...
Yes, any sane posters who want to host the two Neils or ride with them, please let us know.

Old 02-01-08, 11:20 PM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Oh man... that brings back memories riding my bike with my ol' friend through south eastern France. Nothing but a sleeping bag, a few cloth and tons of drinking water. Riding for 2 weeks through the mountains.
What a great time you are going to have. Camping and biking, nothing else needed in life to be happy!
Old 02-01-08, 11:22 PM
Gorntastic!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I still lived in PA.
Old 02-02-08, 07:10 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, and Kentuck Knob is on the OTHER side of the trail from Fallingwater. Who knew there was so much to see around Ohiopyle?
If you get to Ohiopyle at the right time you might be able to catch some kayak events. My daughter and I were there a couple years ago at a competition and watched the kayakers go over the falls Interesting but not something I would attempt

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.