Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

24-hole rear-hub?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

24-hole rear-hub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 07:50 PM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1986 Schwinn Collegiate, Unknown Vintage Chrome Track Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
24-hole rear-hub?

I have a nice 24 spoke wheel that I'd really like to build into a track wheel. I'm not finding any hubs that have 24 holes. I realize that that has to do with the amount of torque put on a fixed hub, but I'm not riding so hard that it would make that much difference.
Any suggestions or resources?
Old 02-02-08, 08:02 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Phil, custom drilled to 24 holes. Those rims must be super special for you to go through with the expense. I'm guessing you could also take a 36 hole track hub and start skipping holes with various spoke lengths as well. Sounds like a recipe for disaster though.

Last edited by operator; 02-02-08 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-02-08, 08:11 PM
It's an old photo

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about the torque, it's not a huge difference if any. It's interesting that you ask this because if the search function worked, you would have found a thread I created just weeks ago asking the exact same question. Well actually, I preferred a road hub with splines for a Shimano freehub so I could convert back and forth with a Surly Fixxer, but the only one I found was a Dura Ace 7700 or something for like $120. As for track-specific, here's what I've found:

On-One sells several 24-hole hubs (take their GBP currency and multiply by about two to get the price in USD), including an NJS Suzue for about $100, a carbon Suzue for $200, and a house-brand one for about $30 (I was extremely happy to find one for this cheap.. it wasn't easy). The link for the purchase page is here: https://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Rear.html and there's also a similar page here (note that Planet-X and On-One are the same company) https://www.planet-x-bikes.com/track/...ge&PAGE_id=122

Sheldon Brown also told me that you could use a 36h hub, but skipping every third spoke hole. A bit wonky, but if you've got a favorite hub... here's the link: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/36-24.htm

Oh, and Phil Wood will drill any pattern for you, but of course, it'll cost you: https://www.philwood.com/High%20Flange.htm

Good luck man!
Old 02-02-08, 11:33 PM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I have an American Classic 24 h freewheel hub on a single speed. I did have to take the hacksaw to it to reduce the OLD to 120, though. Not the axle, but the slip-on spacers it used.
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 02-03-08, 12:09 AM

Bikes: some piece of s h i t

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would sell the 24 rim and get a good 32 or 36
Old 02-03-08, 09:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some cannot be replaced so easily.

I have a 24 hole super aero 650c Araya that is very rare deadstock, but finding a high flange to lace it to proves to be tricky.
I will check out that Suzue 24h someone mentioned above, although it is not NJS as stated, since it is not 36 hole.....
Old 02-03-08, 09:56 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by thelung
I would sell the 24 rim and get a good 32 or 36
Yeah, like I said. They'd have to be something special. The problem with 24h anything is getting replacements for hub/rim once they wear out. You'll just run into the same problems all over again.
Old 02-03-08, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest a 24 hole road hub with a Fixxer, respaced.

Or a 24 hole disc front hub from a mountain bike with a Tommi Cog, again, properly spaced.

-Rob.
Old 02-03-08, 10:33 AM
It's an old photo

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robcycle
I would suggest a 24 hole road hub with a Fixxer, respaced.

Or a 24 hole disc front hub from a mountain bike with a Tommi Cog, again, properly spaced.

-Rob.
As I said, I was looking for those as well, but pickings are slim unless you want to spend above $200. Be careful when buying, because a lot of 24 hole rear road hubs are of the modern design where the freehub body is partially integrated with the hub body, so they're not compatable with the Surly Fixxer. That's what came on my wheelset, which is why I'm having this problem.

So if anyone can find an inexpensive 24h road hub that's Fixxer-compatable, please post it here.
Old 02-03-08, 11:41 AM
Tell them I hate them

Bikes: Specialized Allez Epic '91, IRO Mark V Pro, Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zipp has em. Just $460 MSRP for the 20/24 front/rear set.
Old 02-04-08, 10:02 AM

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 1986 Schwinn Collegiate, Unknown Vintage Chrome Track Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Right now, I'm leaning toward one of these:
https://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Rear.html
... as suggested above.
It's just really effing annoying how bad the dollar is right. The conversion to pounds is killing me!