Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bigger Bike Lane signs

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bigger Bike Lane signs

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-00, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to know if any fellow commuters agree that in cities which are basically "bike friendly" that have Bike Lane signs posted......they need to be larger.....average drivers dont seem to pay much attention.....cuz I still almost get nailed every day!!! Ive already wrote my senators and congressmen...and city council about this.

------------------
Jeff
Old 07-12-09, 05:58 PM
www.chipsea.blogspot.com

Bikes: Giant OCR C0 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's what the problem is, the signs are too small!

Old 07-12-09, 08:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The signs are too small, and the painted lanes are too narrow (or, worse, laid right by car-parking, without even an inch's buffer). Honestly, I'm not sure how effectual "signed lanes" are, as compared with non-signed; they're supposed to simply "alert" drivers that bicyclists are allowed to share this road, but, on the other hand, they might plant the idea that not all roads are shared, which simply is not the case (unless we include highways/freeways).
Old 07-12-09, 08:24 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The "Share the Road" signs in my town are pathetic... they're mostly on roads that are low-traffic, and people here are so stupid that they actually believe you only have to share on THOSE roads.

Big FAIL.
Old 07-12-09, 08:28 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more signs is not the solution to anything.
Old 07-12-09, 08:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
The "Share the Road" signs in my town are pathetic... they're mostly on roads that are low-traffic, and people here are so stupid that they actually believe you only have to share on THOSE roads.

Big FAIL.
In my town, they have those signs posted on 45mph shoulderless arterial roads, but not on low traffic roads. Go figure.
Old 07-12-09, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You could paint the entire lane bright orange and it would solve nothing. Larger signs won't help any.
Old 07-12-09, 09:20 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
more signs is not the solution to anything.

It's a major help when there's no signs at all, our highway maintenance district has erected numerous "Watch for Bicycles" signs on many of their major highways and roadways, and in one busy seven mile section alone, there is six oversized " Share the Road" signs (three in each direction).

Signage isn't a magic cure all, but will there to serve as a constant reminder to motorists if anything.
Old 07-12-09, 09:52 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Loves2cycle
I would like to know if any fellow commuters agree that in cities which are basically "bike friendly" that have Bike Lane signs posted......they need to be larger.....average drivers dont seem to pay much attention.....cuz I still almost get nailed every day!!!
Damn, THAT's the problem! The signs are too small! Rrrright... I think the lanes could be fluorescent pink and glowing at night - and not much would change.

How exactly do you "almost get nailed" anyway? Every day sounds awfully often. I am not suggesting anything illegal, but perhaps you could improve your traffic awareness and traffic-riding skills? The experience of many riders all here, from all over the globe, confirms that it's entirely possible to ride on all sorts of roads and not "almost get nailed every day", so perhaps there is something in your own behaviour you could modify to fix things.
Old 07-12-09, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by degnaw
In my town, they have those signs posted on 45mph shoulderless arterial roads, but not on low traffic roads. Go figure.
The 45+ mph arterials are the roads that need those signs, especially since they're frequently the only reasonable way to get to many destinations. Those are the roads where drivers are the most likely to yell out to "Get off the road." Having 'Share the Road' signs are good reminders that cyclists are in fact allowed and expected to be on those roads.
Old 07-12-09, 10:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these: https://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...th-devider.php