Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Central Florida commuter wanna-be

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 02-13-08, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I stumbled upon the BikeForums when I began my search for a worthwhile bike to get me to and from work and school. The parking on the University of Central Florida campus is absolutely horrendous, plus I have begun riding my girlfriend's bike from Target around the area and have really been enjoying it (the gears don't shift and the brakes don't stop...other than that, it's a great bike ).

I'm new to the biking community, so I don't really know what I'm looking for. However, I look forward to learning more and purchasing a new (or used) bike in the near future!
Old 02-13-08, 10:22 PM

Bikes: 59 Raleigh sports, 72 Raleigh 10 spd w/no original componants, 04 Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck

I found a 59 Raleigh last year at a thrift shop ($20) my third bike it has become my daily commuter and favorite in town rider, so look around try craigslist and check here for advice a lot of folks willing to help.
Old 02-13-08, 11:43 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello gforcesmith, yes, keep an eye on Craigslist, and if you see anything of interest that's older, ask the Classic & Vintage forum folks their opinion. Or, you could check out the C & V forum, and keep an eye on the eBay and CL finds thread stickied near the top of the forum.

Welcome to BF!

East Hill

Old 02-14-08, 01:19 AM
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man - you are so in need of a bike that works, especially if you enjoyed riding on one that --- had issues! Definitely search out Craigslist, perhaps local papers (my local papers don't really have much), - but also Google local Bicycle clubs - my club has not only a side listing of what they have for sale (my club is 450 strong so there's usually something out there for sale) - and also I have one - if not more LBS that have some used bikes for sale.

the college may even have some tips on bicycles, if not even some people available who can help perhaps with the bicycle problems.

I work at a 2 yr school here in NY and we've gone "green". There are a serious bunch of us commuters here who, with the help of a Dean who bicycles as well as many others, encourage bicycling as a means to commute, live well and also be a non-polluter and enjoy yourself.

I also know of one - if not two 4 yr schools around here who encourage the same (bicycling) and have some programs set up for maintenance and/or bicycle sharing.

check 'em out!

Meanwhile - Welcome aboard!
Old 02-14-08, 07:05 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know what your budget is but why not visit a few shops near UCF (like Bike Works - 2 shops near UCF). Most other bike shops are farther west in Orlando/Winter Park/Altamonte Springs/Lake Mary.

Contact https://www.metroplanorlando.com/home/ for info on good commuting routes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.