Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Big Dummy: My Build

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Big Dummy: My Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 08:17 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Ti Fatback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(Spear & Magic) Helmet:

Looking at helmets that seemed more BigDummy specific...something with more of the Big Dummy flavor, if you will. I like that Fox Flux camo' helmet, but then I found this (sorry, gang, picture was removed)

and I said to myself, Self...that's got utility written all over it. In invisible type.

And then I thought, Will I look like a head trauma patient biking around town in that thing?

Meanwhile, my light duty helmet is being knitted for me:

https://www.bellaknitting.com/shop/ba...ing/index.html

Yes. I'm really having an adult-sized Viking Helmet knitted for me. Don't be hatin' 'cause I found it first.

Last edited by dwnptrl_777; 10-29-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-09-08, 08:21 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dwnptrl_777
(Spear & Magic) Helmet:

Looking at helmets that seemed more BigDummy specific...something with more of the Big Dummy flavor, if you will. I like that Fox Flux camo' helmet, but then I found this:
Cool helmet....are you going to hang a spare one off the back of your BD the way motorcyclists do for their passengers?...
Old 03-09-08, 08:40 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Finally!
Old 03-09-08, 08:43 AM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Cool helmet....are you going to hang a spare one off the back of your BD the way motorcyclists do for their passengers?...
I like the way you're thinkin', vik.
Old 03-09-08, 08:44 AM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik

Finally!
(in my best Austin Powers voice): YEAHHH, BABY!
Old 03-11-08, 12:06 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I've only got my BD partially built up:

- riser bar & stem/headset [waiting on H-bars]
- cranks/BB & pedals
- seat post & saddle
- BB7 calipers
- front wheel
- spare rear wheel until my Rohloff arrives

This has allowed me to confirm 3 very important things about the BD:

1) it fits me
2) it fits in my apartment building's elevator!!!....whew....
3) it looks uber cool

I'm pretty much stalled on the build until I get my Rohoff hub, H-bars and Xtracycle kit. Hopefully everything will show up in the next week.
Old 03-11-08, 01:12 PM
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Vik, I like seeing how its progressing. We should have a cargo bike ride alongside one of the cycling events here in Calgary, seems like several people around here are picking up longtails now.
Old 03-11-08, 01:30 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lookin' good, vik!

(green with envy...for now...muwhaahahaaaaaa)
Old 03-14-08, 11:54 PM
Pretty sure...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rohloff shifter question

Hey Dwnptrl, what size/kind of bars are you mounting on your BD? I have a set of Nitto Albatross bars that I was planning on swapping over to my BD (which will hopefully arrive next week), but I was wondering if the Rohloff shifter would work on the Albatross bars? In ordering the Rohloff hub/wheel today (direct from Rohloff in El Cerrito, CA), there was a question as to whether the shifter would work on an aluminum Nitto Albatross bar. I called Rivendell (where I bought it), but they were just closing and the guy I needed to talk to was gone already. Anyone use an Albatross with their Rohloff shifter?

Here's my wheelset part list. I'm really excited about the Rohloff factor. Should be ready in a couple of weeks:

Front Wheel
Mavic EN321 Disc Rim 32 Hole
Surly Disc Front Hub Black, 32h, QR, IS 6-bolt Disc
DT Swiss Champion Spokes Drive-Side Black, 14 Gauge
DT Swiss Champion Spokes Non-Drive-Side Black, 14 Gauge
DT Swiss Nipples Brass, 14 gauge, 2.0mm, Black
Laced 3 Cross, Both Sides

Rear Wheel
Mavic EN321 Disc Rim 32 Hole
Rohloff Quick-Release Disc Speedhub 16t Cog 32-hole Q-R
DT Swiss Champion Spokes Drive-Side Black, 14 Gauge
DT Swiss Champion Spokes Non-Drive-Side Black, 14 Gauge
DT Swiss Nipples Brass, 14 gauge, 2.0mm, Black
Laced 3 Cross, Both Sides
Rohloff Speedhub Rotor: 160mm — I'll probably use my existing Hope brakes, front and rear
Rohloff OEM2 Axle Plate

Looks like my weekend will be spent pulling apart my Santa Cruz Heckler for parts...anyone want a black medium Heckler with a big ass Zocchi fork?
Old 03-15-08, 02:24 AM
Pretty sure...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine should be here soon..

...and I can't wait! I got mine from the folks at Xtracycle and I spoke with Nate Byerly 2 days ago... looks like the shipment wasn't going to ship until yesterday, or maybe even monday. Meanwhile... I placed an order with Rohloff to send a hub over to their official unofficial wheelbuilder next door to build me a Rohloff hubbed wheel. I suggested a Sun Rhino Lite disc wheel, but left it up to the wheel builder to call me with his best suggestion.. I suggested Mavic & Velocity rims as substitutes, but since I don't know their product lines anymore, I left it up to him to call me with his best advice for a bomb proof wheel capable of running Big Apples (the 2.35") and regularly carrying between 300-400 lbs of riders and gear (not including bike). Thomas at Rohloff assured me that the Sun Rhino's are good though a bit dated at this point *I'm not convinced that's a reason to rule them out* and that a Velocity might be a good candidate. The last set of wheels I had built were by Gravy, formerly of Gravy Wheels in 2001.. and they are still running strong, never been trued once. They're Chris King hubs with Rhino Lite rims. They're not light, but neither am I and though I ride with finesse, there's only so much finessing you can do at high speeds going down steep rough terrain. Of course, my BD will be mostly ridden on fire roads and on the street, but I want BURLEY wheels that I can load up with impunity. Anyone want to chime in a rim recommendation for the Rohloff?
Old 03-15-08, 02:18 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
Hey Dwnptrl, what size/kind of bars are you mounting on your BD? I have a set of Nitto Albatross bars that I was planning on swapping over to my BD (which will hopefully arrive next week), but I was wondering if the Rohloff shifter would work on the Albatross bars? In ordering the Rohloff hub/wheel today (direct from Rohloff in El Cerrito, CA), there was a question as to whether the shifter would work on an aluminum Nitto Albatross bar. I called Rivendell (where I bought it), but they were just closing and the guy I needed to talk to was gone already. Anyone use an Albatross with their Rohloff shifter?
My final decision: the Titec H-Bar, sitting inside a Thompson stem.
Old 03-15-08, 03:26 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help a brother out, please: Are Xtracycle's Footsies unnecessary? It seems the Big Dummy frame has built-in footrests.
Old 03-15-08, 03:49 PM

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BD failing quality control

I've had an 18" Big Dummy on order at the LBS for over two weeks. I believe I missed the first batch of 18" but was informed by Surly there would be another 18" shippment to QBP towards the end of February. My LBS just told me today that the entire 18" batch failed quality control. Anybody else get this bad news?
Old 03-15-08, 04:12 PM
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help a brother out, please: Are Xtracycle's Footsies unnecessary? It seems the Big Dummy frame has built-in footrests.
Got an old folding scooter lying around? The handles are actually the perfect length and dimensions to fit in the wideloaders, and they have the button snaps in them too. Another option is to grab a pair of those tubing buttons (they're basically just a little button on a springy piece of metal. No special installation or anything required for them), buy a piece of aluminum structural pipe and make your own.

Personally, I would say that there are solutions that work just as well as the footsies (the scooter bars are actually lighter and work just as well), but going without is no fun. Your passenger will have a harder time staying centered, and with their legs hanging they won't be nearly as comfortable.
Old 03-15-08, 10:00 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by karasek
I've had an 18" Big Dummy on order at the LBS for over two weeks. I believe I missed the first batch of 18" but was informed by Surly there would be another 18" shippment to QBP towards the end of February. My LBS just told me today that the entire 18" batch failed quality control. Anybody else get this bad news?
Um...no. Care to share your specific source for this information? Sounds like FUD to me, or some form of it. If the "entire...batch" failed, why have so many 18" BD's hit the streets?
Old 03-15-08, 10:01 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
Got an old folding scooter lying around? The handles are actually the perfect length and dimensions to fit in the wideloaders, and they have the button snaps in them too. Another option is to grab a pair of those tubing buttons (they're basically just a little button on a springy piece of metal. No special installation or anything required for them), buy a piece of aluminum structural pipe and make your own.

Personally, I would say that there are solutions that work just as well as the footsies (the scooter bars are actually lighter and work just as well), but going without is no fun. Your passenger will have a harder time staying centered, and with their legs hanging they won't be nearly as comfortable.
I know of a couple of abandoned folding scooters. Thanks, Abneycat!
Old 03-15-08, 10:55 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got an 18" BD and it looks fine. If you can't get an 18" BD now you'll probably be out of luck until the end of summer.
Old 03-16-08, 05:01 AM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More good news: According to the fine fellers at Speedgoat, I'm lucky enough to score one of the early Mr. Whirly cranksets—should have arrived at the 'goat on Saturday.

So, I've scored a black 175mm single speed complete. We'll swap the 33t ring for a 44 tooth, 94mm Salsa ring (black).
Old 03-17-08, 03:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um...no. Care to share your specific source for this information? Sounds like FUD to me, or some form of it. If the "entire...batch" failed, why have so many 18" BD's hit the streets?
My source of information has been either my LBS or Surly as described in my last post. From what I can piece together there were two batches of 18" released to QBP. I missed the first one, and supposedly the second batch failed quality control at QBP?? I'm starting to think maybe I was fed some BS from my LBS. I plan on emailing Surly to get to the bottom of this. If my LBS is making up stories I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I already purchased an 18" BD from a bicycle shop in Minnieapolis, should be on its way as I'm typing this. I'll share Surly's response to put this to rest, don't want to start any bad rumors for Surly. They have been very helpful.
Old 03-17-08, 04:26 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My source of information has been either my LBS or Surly as described in my last post. From what I can piece together there were two batches of 18" released to QBP. I missed the first one, and supposedly the second batch failed quality control at QBP?? I'm starting to think maybe I was fed some BS from my LBS. I plan on emailing Surly to get to the bottom of this. If my LBS is making up stories I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I already purchased an 18" BD from a bicycle shop in Minnieapolis, should be on its way as I'm typing this. I'll share Surly's response to put this to rest, don't want to start any bad rumors for Surly. They have been very helpful.
Right on. Keep on rockin' the truth, and let us know what the good folks at Surly tell you.
Old 03-17-08, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surlys Quick Response to my concern

OK, so here is what I wrote in an email to Surly:
I had just been told by my LBS that the 18" Big Dummy shipment we were waiting for from QBP all failed quality control and they couldn't get me one until July or August. Luckily, I was able to find an 18" Big Dummy at another bike shop out of state.

I was a little concerned if the frame I currently have coming to me may have any issues. Would you mind sharing what quality control issues you had and any possible precautions to these issues as they may relate to the frame I have obtained?

Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure it must be very frustrating, especially with the great demand the Big Dummy has been receiving.
And here was Surly's response from Aaron (should mention these guys respond fast, less than 30min) :
Thanks for your message.

Congratulations on your Dummy! I hope it fits the bill, or even exceeds your expectations in rad ways you never knew were possible.

The information you received was not correct. The 18” Big Dummys passed QC with flying colors.

I don’t want to speculate why anyone told you this. Please rest assured that this is not the case.

The only issue to come up so far is that the powdercoat is very thick. (Which isn’t much of a problem)

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
I've noticed in another thread in this Utility Bike Group that somebody had a similar story in regards to the quality control, so I assumed it must be true. But for my case it seems somebody has really got some information crossed or telling tall tales. I'm not sure whether to pursue the truth any more or not. At this point it looks like my LBS may have been making this up, which is very disappointing of course.

Guess my only worry now is that my BD makes it through shipping and delivery OK. Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting.
Old 03-17-08, 07:57 PM
Señor Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so here is what I wrote in an email to Surly:
I had just been told by my LBS that the 18" Big Dummy shipment we were waiting for from QBP all failed quality control and they couldn't get me one until July or August. Luckily, I was able to find an 18" Big Dummy at another bike shop out of state.

I was a little concerned if the frame I currently have coming to me may have any issues. Would you mind sharing what quality control issues you had and any possible precautions to these issues as they may relate to the frame I have obtained?

Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure it must be very frustrating, especially with the great demand the Big Dummy has been receiving.
And here was Surly's response from Aaron (should mention these guys respond fast, less than 30min) :
Thanks for your message.

Congratulations on your Dummy! I hope it fits the bill, or even exceeds your expectations in rad ways you never knew were possible.

The information you received was not correct. The 18” Big Dummys passed QC with flying colors.

I don’t want to speculate why anyone told you this. Please rest assured that this is not the case.

The only issue to come up so far is that the powdercoat is very thick. (Which isn’t much of a problem)

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
I've noticed in another thread in this Utility Bike Group that somebody had a similar story in regards to the quality control, so I assumed it must be true. But for my case it seems somebody has really got some information crossed or telling tall tales. I'm not sure whether to pursue the truth any more or not. At this point it looks like my LBS may have been making this up, which is very disappointing of course.

Guess my only worry now is that my BD makes it through shipping and delivery OK. Best of luck to the rest of you still waiting.
Thanks for the fast follow-up. Good to know the Big Dummy train is full speed ahead—for all of us.
Old 03-18-08, 11:06 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wink

Given the short supply of BD frames and a healthy dose of paranoia - I figured the only safe place to store it was chained to my bed!!!.... So don't even think about it!....
Old 03-18-08, 12:08 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vik
Given the short supply of BD frames and a healthy dose of paranoia - I figured the only safe place to store it was chained to my bed!!!.... So don't even think about it!....
Umm, Umm... You're still gonna let me test ride it, Yes? What do I need to bring as deposit?
Old 03-18-08, 12:21 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
Umm, Umm... You're still gonna let me test ride it, Yes? What do I need to bring as deposit?
First born?...LMAO..

I'm still waiting on my Rohloff hub and Xtracycle kit so it will be a little while before I get my Dummy on the road...

Last edited by vik; 03-18-08 at 12:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.