Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Now 100% Folder User/Owner

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 04:43 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I am now a folding bike user/owner only. I gave away or donated my beautiful old 1968 Phillips Ladies Frame 3 speed Sport Style Roadster to the Bicycle Kitchen today. I simply pumped up the tires, dusted off the frame and rode to the train station. I rode the rest of the way from the Santa Monica station to the shop. Plus I donated some new or barely used saddles, a new pedal, a new tire gauge, and a tiny patch kit too. I do miss that old bike, but I need the space that it took to store it for other more pressing things. And I still have plenty of bikes left-all folding bikes. They are the only bikes I can safely use around Los Angeles!
Old 02-17-08, 08:06 PM
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I am now a folding bike user/owner only. I gave away or donated my beautiful old 1968 Phillips Ladies Frame 3 speed Sport Style Roadster to the Bicycle Kitchen today. I simply pumped up the tires, dusted off the frame and rode to the train station. I rode the rest of the way from the Santa Monica station to the shop. Plus I donated some new or barely used saddles, a new pedal, a new tire gauge, and a tiny patch kit too. I do miss that old bike, but I need the space that it took to store it for other more pressing things. And I still have plenty of bikes left-all folding bikes. They are the only bikes I can safely use around Los Angeles!
With all of the extra space it sounds like a great time to buy another folding bike!
Old 02-18-08, 12:16 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Yes, we're all collectively shocked.

Meanwhile, I'm likely to get rid of my folders when the weather improves, and will likely be 100% folder free for the forseeable future....
Old 02-19-08, 02:25 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
With all of the extra space it sounds like a great time to buy another folding bike!
Oh, oh please don't tempt me! Actually, I will be in the market for another Brompton in, say, about a year or so from now. I know the basic Brompton frame has underwent a major change in 2005. And the A La Carte option that is available now to customize the bike to what you want, rather than what a bike designer dictates, is a huge attraction for me. I will miss my old Phillips, but the folding bike is the only bike I can use now.
Old 02-19-08, 09:32 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regular bikes are a major pain storage-wise. Whether inside a garage, or inside a car or SUV when traveling, they are a challenge. I totally prefer folders, period. My Dahon S1 is a great "market" bike, and our Bike Fridays are better than our mid-60's 'engines'. Folders are also more agile in the city, accelerate better, and are far easier to transport than "normal" sized bikes.

The only venue that a normal bike clearly excels in would be in Mountain Biking, and at age 65, my continued Masters slow pitch softball participation is likely the most dangerous sport I am going to be involved in.
Old 02-20-08, 11:04 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Well....

I agree that folding bikes are good enough for a wide variety of purposes, and are easier to store and transport. There are many situations where a folding bike is well worth the resulting compromises.

However, I really have no doubt that standard bikes are superior in many ways and for many applications. More stable handling; more rugged frames; smoother ride without the performance compromises of suspension or slow tires or low BB's or low derailleurs or internal hubs; more precise sizing for better fit; wider variety of bars and shifting/braking mechanisms.

The only plausible exception I can think of is a Bike Friday, as it is fully custom. Though a BF will still be more expensive and have far less stable handling than, say, my cross bike.