Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Entry Hybrid Bike ?

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Entry Hybrid Bike ?

Old 02-17-08, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Entry Hybrid Bike ?

I'm looking for an entry bike. I guess Hybrid type for flexibility. I've looked at the Schwinn Voyageur and Diamondback Edgewood. Are these any good? Anyone better? What 'bout other makers, in the same price range? Also, are these bikes versatile enough for pavement and some grass rides? Thanks.

Last edited by Bialy; 02-17-08 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-17-08, 11:03 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 958 Times in 625 Posts
Don't overlook used market, Craigs List and local thrift shops. I bought a couple of 2000 Giant Cypress's at the Salvation Army store yesterday in ready to ride condition, $50 each. At the high end of a thrift shop on price, but the condition and sizing was right.
Old 02-19-08, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bialy
I'm looking for an entry bike. I guess Hybrid type for flexibility. I've looked at the Schwinn Voyageur and Diamondback Edgewood. Are these any good? Anyone better? What 'bout other makers, in the same price range? Also, are these bikes versatile enough for pavement and some grass rides? Thanks.
I bought my mom what is basically the Schwinn Voyageur at Target. I will add that I've been fixing bikes since I was about 5 years old so I know how to go over the bike and make sure it is adjusted for safe operation. I therefore I was OK with saving about $80 savings over the LBS, but knowing I had some work ahead of me. Also note that some of these bikes come in a one-size-fits-all model. This bike was fine for my mom who is about 5' 6" tall, but might have been a but too tall for my wife who is 5' 2.5." The components are not the best, but certainly quite descent, and no worse than the Schwinn my wife got at a LBS for aaround $260. The bike is going to be used for fun weekend rides of 10 to 20 miles. For that it is perfect. We did transfer my mom's brooks saddle otherwise the resk of the bike is fine.

Happy riding,
André
Old 02-19-08, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is "LBS"? Thanks
Old 02-19-08, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LBS is local bike shop. I bought my daughter the Edgewood last Christmas. It has been used for 50 mile road rides and 10+ mile MTB rides. It has been a very good bike for her. I bought some road tires to replace the heavy tires that came on it for the road. I also found some Panaracer 45mm knobby tires to use off road. The one thing I have against the bike is the tall gearing. I replaced front crankset with a mountain bike crank and am very happy with the results.
Old 02-19-08, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up the Giant Cypress DX. I am using it for utility and soon for commuting. I just got a rack for it and a pannier. I also have a trailer for it to pick up groceries and such. The bike was around 400 bucks and I mostly use it on the road, but the other day did go off-roading a bit with my nephew and niece at a local park that has a dirt trail down to a pond. I have been very happy with the bike thus far. Picked it up at the end of November and have close to 300 miles on it I think. Didn't start tracking mileage until this month.
Old 02-19-08, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
I found this interesting. Available at Wal-Mart only, and only in one size. Sweet bike though. The three speed makes it a very simple machine. Fenders and rack too.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8399249
Old 02-20-08, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I found this interesting. Available at Wal-Mart only, and only in one size. Sweet bike though. The three speed makes it a very simple machine. Fenders and rack too.

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8399249
I grew up riding 3 speeds and they work OK in a flat area for shorter rides. You can do larger excusions loads of poeple ride on 3 speeds in the Netherlands and other European countries, but there is a good reason the 5,7, and 8 speed hubs are quickly gaining in popularity. The middle range is generally OK for most riding, and if you hit a light hill or large viaduct the low gear will work, but on long gentle slopes having only 3 gears can be a pain, with such a large difference between gears one can be to slow and one to fast.

Happy riding,
André
Old 02-20-08, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
One of my ride buddies has a Trek 7200 and I have worked on it a few times. Pretty nice bike for an entry level ride. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 02-24-08 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 05:00 PM
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Many Hybrid bikes are heavy hulks. Okay, many of the more reasonably priced ones are. I might recommend finding a used hardtail MTB and put street tires on it. You can end up with a much more enjoyable bike to ride.

jim