Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Bicycle Tour of Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 06:49 PM

Bikes: '08 Giant Bowery profile designs T2 Wing bull horn style. '05Giant TCR Comp3 w/ Mavic Ksyrium SL, '05 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Tour of Colorado

Hello people! I am strongly considering this tour in late June. I was wondering if anyone here has done it or at least ridden with the group that is putting it on. Last year I rode with a small tour from blacktop bicycle tours. It was great but they aren't doing a tour this year. I came accross this one via a flyer I recieved from a Performance Bike order. https://www.bicycletourcolorado.com

Feedback people feedback!!!!!
Old 02-18-08, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This year will be my first time. It's huge - thousands of people, most people camp, you have a lot of choices about camping indoors/outdoors or arrange your own hotels, whether you buy meal plans from them or sort out your own in the towns along the way, pay someone to set up your tent or do it yourself.... The flier and their website is pretty descriptive, what sort of info are you looking for?

The route this year is spectacular.
Old 02-19-08, 02:03 PM
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 2,340 Times in 894 Posts
This does look like a great ride. Is there a rider limit? I missed it on the brochure if so. Do you guys know if this one typically fills up like Ride the Rockies?
Old 02-19-08, 02:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just looked around, it's not entirely clear, but it looks like maybe they cut it at 2000. The phone number is on their web site.
Old 02-19-08, 03:07 PM
smorenivore

Thanks. I emailed their FAQ site. It should be a great ride with some incredible scenery. I just can't commit to it yet.
Old 02-20-08, 10:45 AM
smorenivore

FYI for anyone else who might be interested. The rider limit is 2000. Last year they had about 1700 riders. You can register up to the day of Tour check-in 6/21/08.
Old 02-20-08, 07:44 PM

Bikes: '08 Giant Bowery profile designs T2 Wing bull horn style. '05Giant TCR Comp3 w/ Mavic Ksyrium SL, '05 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey yeah I was just wondering about how stand up these folks are. courteousness... That's all. Sounds like I will be registering for this one soon. Then I get to figure out the logistics of it all!
Old 02-20-08, 08:04 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What I *heard* was that this is a great event, it's a rolling party, that the aid stations can be pretty good, and that if you buy the meals from them it can be super crowded or slow, so expect to wait in line for food (and shower & bathroom), that sort of thing.

The folks I'm riding with have done it before, and on their advice i'm not buying a meal plan except for the one night in Naturita, because that town is so small there's almost nowhere to eat. On the other days, I'm going to fend for myself, tourist style, meaning I'll be going to restaurants and grocery stores on my own. I expect the restaurant scene to be rather crowded too. I have a feeling it pays to go in with a take-care-of-yourself have-fun-no-matter-what attitude. It's not going to be like a small supported tour where there is a 10-1 rider-crew ratio.

Hope that helps, and hope you register and enjoy the rockies!
Old 02-25-08, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I just registered for the event! I opted for the breakfast and lunches. I think It will be fun to venture around for Dinner... Even in Naturita. If worse comes to worse I'll just buy a bunch of granola bars and what not and pack my pockets! Now to bok the flight and hotel before the trip. and find a rental car for afterwards!
Old 02-27-08, 10:18 AM
Trail Sanitizer

Bikes: Cinelli Starship

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the BTC last year with no meal plan. We brought some food with us for breakfast and some freeze-dried meals for post-ride. Dinner was garnered from around town. "Lunch" was eaten on the ride at the aid stations.
Old 03-06-08, 10:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CRMBT A Great Alternative to the BTC /or RTR!!!

www.crmbt.com If you didn't get on with Ride the Rockies and you don't like big crowds...
You might want to consider doing the Colorado Rocky Mountain Bike Tour ... first week in August...
Very well supported, Great Route, All mountains, Approximately 200 - 500 bicyclists... from all over the world! Did it last year and it was a blast!
Old 04-12-08, 06:25 PM
Daily Commuter-Tampa, FL

Bikes: Orbea Ora, Cannondale R800, old Cannondale, murry mountain bike, EZ Rider recombent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robbiedob
https://www.bicycletourcolorado.com

Feedback people feedback!!!!!
Awesome looking ride. Checking to see if I can get the time off work to participate.

League of American Bicyclist LCI 3144
♥♥ Please support riders if you can ♥♥
Old 04-12-08, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robbiedob, I cycled in Colorado for a long time and worked one summer on the mountain tops in that area. Be sure you are in shape. In very good shape. The altitude can get to you. If you live at sea level consider getting to at least mile high two or three days early to give your blood chemistry time to adapt. Driving there from low altitude should do it.
Old 05-18-08, 12:50 AM
Domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did it last year and thought it was very well run. I was very worried about the logistics with that many people, especially showers, etc. but it turned out not to be an issue at all. Did the meal plan for breakfast and lunch. Ate supper in town each night. Seemed to work well. They run a good organization. It can get a little crowded and dicey out on the roads from time to time with that many riders and some of them of questionable skill level and not used to riding in a pace line. Be very aware of who's wheel you follow or else just do your own thing is my advice.
Old 06-01-08, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
woot woot just 20 days till I fly out to Durango! I can't wait to be back west in the high mountainds and the fresh air! I could seriously use the break from work!
Old 06-02-08, 09:26 AM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ken cummings
Robbiedob, I cycled in Colorado for a long time and worked one summer on the mountain tops in that area. Be sure you are in shape. In very good shape. The altitude can get to you. If you live at sea level consider getting to at least mile high two or three days early to give your blood chemistry time to adapt. Driving there from low altitude should do it.
I don't think this point can be over emphasized. I moved to colorado when I was 30 years old and in very good shape. Still, the first couple of weeks when i would go running (at 8500 ft) my feet/legs felt heavy and sluggish. I'm not really sure driving to Colorado is enough to acclimate. In fact, I don't know how people manage to acclimate in less than a week at all. Its why the Nuggets always have such a good home record.
Old 06-02-08, 10:57 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it takes multiple weeks to really acclimate, which means you are going to have to deal with the effects of altitude. I live at 5200', and it still affects me. If you can get here a few days early and hang out up around 10-11K' that might help. If you are lucky enough to have altitude close by, go train high. (I'm lucky, I've ridden up to 9300 3 times in the last week).

strategies:
1) hydrate more than usual
2) take a pain killer if you have a headache - most common altitude sickness symptom
3) no alcohol at altitude (sorry, but this really makes a difference)
4) get lots of rest
5) accept the fact that you are going to feel breathless & possibly lightheaded, take it easy
6) use lots of sunscreen, you burn faster up high

it's gonna be beautiful!!!!!!
Old 06-02-08, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm I must be freak like. Last year when I went out to Co. I flew into Denver on say Friday and drove up to Keystone that afternoon. Went on a nice 30 mile ride the next day with no problem, had some Fat Tire brews in Frisco then did a century the next day. But I do agree altitude will effect most people.
Old 06-05-08, 10:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robbiedob
Hmm I must be freak like. Last year when I went out to Co. I flew into Denver on say Friday and drove up to Keystone that afternoon. Went on a nice 30 mile ride the next day with no problem, had some Fat Tire brews in Frisco then did a century the next day. But I do agree altitude will effect most people.
I grew up in the mid-west and moved to Colorado at age 24. I immediately felt physically stronger upon getting acclamated here. I've been running and biking long distances since my late teens with a few breaks here and there and I have more energy, more endurance here in Colorado than I do in the midwest. So, you aren't freak like, perhaps your body just likes this altitude.