Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Bike Across Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 07:16 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Across Florida

Does anyone out there have any insight into this ride? This year the distance is approx. 165mi. from Cocoa Beach to Crystal River. There is basically 10 weeks to continue getting ready. I have completed a couple of centuries to help prepare but any advice would really help in getting ready!
Old 02-20-08, 09:31 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
That sounds like a great ride, I'd love to do it some time. I would do a 125 to 140-mile ride a few weeks before the Big Day, and do 50-80 mile training rides on the weekends leading up to it.

Here's the suggested training for a local double-century, the Seattle-to-Portland ride, it might be a good example: https://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/stp_mileage.cfm (see "one-day" schedule at the bottom)

Probably the most important things are that your bike fits you. And when it breaks down (most likely a flat or a spoke), make sure you've got the tools to fix it. Even on supported rides, you might not be close enough to the next stop to get mechanical help.

Best of luck!

my race videos
Old 03-08-08, 02:56 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stonewahl
Does anyone out there have any insight into this ride? This year the distance is approx. 165mi. from Cocoa Beach to Crystal River. There is basically 10 weeks to continue getting ready. I have completed a couple of centuries to help prepare but any advice would really help in getting ready!
I am also training to do this ride. It would certainly be the longest single day distance I ride for sure. I have done several centuries solo, as I usually ride solo, but some things concern me about this ride in particular.

1. There is an 11 hour cut off time. Close for a lot of people. They told me about 300 people sign up and about 1/3 finish it in time.

2. They have added 2 very hilly areas. In FL this is practically a joke, but add the nasty winds we can get here frequently, and this can be extremely nasty. I guess some would call it "challenging".

My only personal goal is to finish the entire thing. Preferably under the 11 hour mark. It will be very close for me if I can do it in that time as break time counts against your total time. I will be training for it doing 130 mile rides on the weekends with very minimal break time. Having said that, it is those "healthy" breaks that allow me to do these 130 mile rides solo in the first place.

Where are you at? Maybe we can meet up sometime between now and then go do some "hills" in Clermont t prepare for the hill part of it. I was there today with 30-40 mph winds and it was not fun at all.
Old 03-25-08, 07:01 AM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone else here signing up for it?
Old 04-08-08, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Quattro Assi, Trek 8000, Pinarello, OPera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the route across Florida....I have been wanting to do this but i dont know the best route.
Old 04-08-08, 01:49 PM
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try the following link to learn more about it:

https://www.bikeacrossflorida.net/
Old 04-10-08, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found out that the ride has been moved from April 19th to October 12th "following an emergency meeting". I'm dissappointed on one hand but now I have longer to train!
Old 04-10-08, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200 (2006)Teledyne Titan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonewahl
Just found out that the ride has been moved from April 19th to October 12th "following an emergency meeting". I'm dissappointed on one hand but now I have longer to train!
Is this information public? Do you have a link?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-08, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all entrants receive a mass e-mail. I've tried to post the mailing but cannot from my work system. It states "The decision has been mad following an emergency meeting between **** ***** and the Brevard County sports commission. All hotel reservations have been transferred to Saturday, Oct. 11... All future BAF editions will find place during Columbus weekend in October. The support of hte sports commission assures the BAF to be conducted as a better, safer and a more memorable endurance event."

I've already heard grumbling and some want to go ahead and do the ride UNsupported. I'm not sure that is wise but gotta' admit-many have trained hard and to get this news 10 days before the event. Geez...
Old 04-10-08, 05:53 PM
shedding fat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
YES, this is public and OFFICIAL information. Everybody that signed up for it should have gotten an email about it yesterday. I am very disappointed to say the least, especially since I won't even be in the country during the time they have re-scheduled. The worst part is that they are claiming that they won't do any refunds. That we will see.

Some people have decided that after all the training and such we might as well show up and ride regardless. The route was posted already, and all the SAG stops were going to be at convenience stores anyway for what I understand.
Old 04-11-08, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200 (2006)Teledyne Titan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the updates. I hadn't signed up yet but was seriously considering it. Now I don't have to start sucking up to my wife for a few months.
Edit: The "active.com" registration info has been updated. The BAF site has not (yet)

Last edited by Mike45; 04-11-08 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 10:54 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sounds like a refund of the entry fees is in order. Spend the money on a nice hotel room at the far end and do the route round trip over a weekend.