Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

duratec track frame questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
duratec track frame questions

I've acquired a duratec track frame. A magnetic t8 to be exact. I'm kind of a noob and am trying to order a bb for it. I dont know if it's italian threaded of english threaded or what size to order. (if that even matters?) I'll be getting a dura ace octalink bb. How should i measure the bb shell? I'm pretty lost here as you can tell. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-21-08, 05:31 AM
Yue Tao

Bikes: 84 Centurion Protour, 85 Masi 3v(49cm), 85 Masi 3V (51cm), 89 Raleigh Edge "Trials Bike" 2004 Bianchi Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe you should get a dura ace octalink BB because you can't fit a track crankset to it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-21-08, 08:20 AM
Run What 'Ya Brung

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the Duratec website to learn how it's threaded, it's going to be very hard to tell just by looking. Odds are that it is English threading, but it certainly does matter. If you try to cram Italian threading in an English BB, you're going to ruin your bike.

You shouldn't have to measure anything; if you're running regular track wheels, you need a BB with a spindle length of 107-109mm. The Dura Ace Octalink 109.5 bottom bracket is their "track" size, but you need to buy Dura Ace Octalink track cranks in order to accommodate that, and those cost a small fortune (like $260).

You'll be much better off buying a cheaper square-taper BB and cranks. Sugino 75, Miche, or even some of the less-expensive Shimano and Sugino 165 offerings on eBay on from your LBS.
Old 02-21-08, 09:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you guys so much for the info.