Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pearl Izumi AmFib Bib Tight

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-21-08, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those who have tried these out. What temperature range do you find them useful? Are they durable? Would I be better off to by the P.I. Gavia w/chamois for another $40? Is it more comfortable to wear biking shorts or padded underwear (such as Andiamo) underneath?

For bottoms, I currently have shorts , bib shorts, Specialized leg warmers, light weight P.I. running tights, Craft rain pants, and now P.I. AmFib Bib Tights (which are new and still tagged).
Old 02-21-08, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear PI AmFib tights, albeit not the bib version. I've worn them comfortably down to 10 degrees F, but just mountain biking on snowmobile trails. I don't know how low you could go on the road when you throw in a 25-mile-an-hour wind chill factor. On the upper end, they get too warm when the temperature reaches 50 degrees (road riding).
As for durability, they seem fine. Have crashed into crust several times, not a mark. Haven't test-crashed them on pavement, though.
Mine do not have a chamois, so I wear padded shorts underneath.

Last edited by Rod Arnold; 02-21-08 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Didn't answer all the questions
Old 02-21-08, 06:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elit 2006, Specialized Transition Expert 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Amfib tights before the winter and find them fantastic. I have ridden in temperatures as cold as -30 Celsius (-22 F) and find them sufficiently warm. I find them a little too warm for temperatures above about 5 degree C (40 F).

I prefer wearing my PI Tri shorts under my Amfib tights.
Old 02-21-08, 02:06 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I bought some PI Amfib tights this winter. I've been using PI Thermafleece tights for years and love them. The Amfibs fit differently than Thermafleece even though I got the same size. I found that the Amfibs didn't really pull up high enough and tended to slip down at the waist, so I ended up exchanging them for some Amfib bib tights that fit much better. The Amfibs are also thicker than Thermafleece tights, and the fabric is more slippery, so you move around more on the saddle. However, the Amfibs are very warm. I've worn them in temperatures down to 17F and even then my legs sweated a little bit. They are too warm for temperatures above 40F for me, unless I'm riding very easy. If you are not riding in temperatures much colder than 30F, then the Thermafleece tights might be warm enough for you. I've been comfortable in the Thermafleece tights down to about 25F. I always get tights without pads and wear them over bib shorts.

Amfib fabric is amazingly warm, wind blocking and water resistant. I've also got a Gavia jacket made with Amfib and it is too warm for temperatures much warmer than 40-45F. I've worn it in temps down to mid-teens and been very comfortable with a long-sleeve base layer underneath.
Old 02-21-08, 05:49 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I bought some PI Amfib tights this winter. I've been using PI Thermafleece tights for years and love them. The Amfibs fit differently than Thermafleece even though I got the same size. I found that the Amfibs didn't really pull up high enough and tended to slip down at the waist, so I ended up exchanging them for some Amfib bib tights that fit much better. The Amfibs are also thicker than Thermafleece tights, and the fabric is more slippery, so you move around more on the saddle. However, the Amfibs are very warm. I've worn them in temperatures down to 17F and even then my legs sweated a little bit. They are too warm for temperatures above 40F for me, unless I'm riding very easy. If you are not riding in temperatures much colder than 30F, then the Thermafleece tights might be warm enough for you. I've been comfortable in the Thermafleece tights down to about 25F. I always get tights without pads and wear them over bib shorts.

Amfib fabric is amazingly warm, wind blocking and water resistant. I've also got a Gavia jacket made with Amfib and it is too warm for temperatures much warmer than 40-45F. I've worn it in temps down to mid-teens and been very comfortable with a long-sleeve base layer underneath.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Good tights for real cold...not so good for just cold. Some days I suffer in mine when the temp starts at 15F and bounces to 50F+ for the ride home. They are way too warm for that
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-21-08, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like they will fill the temperature niche that I was hoping (15-40 Deg. F). Above that I'd probably go with my lightweight tights or leg warmers, and below that I'll be staying inside.
Old 02-22-08, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The problem I'm having with getting much use out of the Amfibs is the large temperature swings between my morning and afternoon commutes. It is often cold enough to wear my Amfibs in the mornings, but much too warm in the afternoons. A few times I have carried my Thermafleece tights in my seatbag to wear on the ride home, but it depends on how much room I have in the bag on a given day.
Old 03-10-08, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've now worn these from ~20 deg. F to ~45 deg. F and am quite happy with them, especially since this winter doesn't want to end. I expect they will be used for my pre work rides for at least another month. As mentioned in the replies 45 deg. F would be as warm as you would want to use them.