Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

No winter cycling for me anymore

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its too cold out here for me to ride a bike,instead I weight train.

I tried it, but rode on a patch of black ice and slipped while almost getting hit by a car while causing an accident.

Personally after my experience riding in winter is stupid.
Old 02-21-08, 05:59 PM
World's slowest cyclist.

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD5 and Cannondale Rush

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try riding with studded tires. Ice (black or otherwise) will no longer be an issue. I rode on ice once without studs and won't ever repeat that mistake again.
Old 02-21-08, 06:08 PM
Cries on hills

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only go out on warm days, where it gets above freezing. As long as it hasn't snowed recently, the roads are ok up here; but it's a pretty rural area.
Old 02-21-08, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mark9950

I tried it, but rode on a patch of black ice and slipped while almost getting hit by a car while causing an accident.

Maybe it is for you but there are quite a few of us who enjoy it.

If you have the appropriate equipment for whatever winter your area suffers from it is a blast.
Definitely a completely different animal than summer but enjoyable in its own right.
Old 02-21-08, 08:25 PM

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rural, urban, summer, winter. Totally different riding. Hazards different, skill set different, equipment different. You have to be equipped and prepared for the weather, traffic and other hazards.
Old 02-21-08, 10:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Troll of the week.

Good times.
Old 02-21-08, 11:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I admit I have to re-train myself to ride in the winter again. I have picked up ten pounds. My friend has fixed up my winter bike. I hope to pick it up tomorrow. Sixty dollars to fill up the car is too much! I could be buying bike parts with that money

Gas, .69 cents the price of a can of beans.
Old 02-22-08, 12:10 PM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Experience it on studded tires and you WILL change your mind. Also, you may find that you REALLY, REALLY like it!

... Brad
Old 02-22-08, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts

U bedda tay inthide where it's warm, liddle girl. Do you weight train with little pink dumbells?
Old 02-22-08, 01:31 PM
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Troll of the week.

Good times.
Exactamundo.
Old 02-22-08, 03:54 PM
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its too pavement out here for me to ride a bike,instead I weight walk.

I tried it, but rode on bare rims without tires and slipped while almost getting hit by a car while causing an accident.

Personally after my experience riding bicycles is stupid.
Old 02-24-08, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bac
Also, you may find that you REALLY, REALLY like it!

... Brad
+1
Old 02-24-08, 08:04 PM

Bikes: '98 Rhygin SS road,'99 Fat Chance Ti Fat, '95 Azonic Mtn bike, '88 Giant Sedona.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
LOL! Really, OP, that was wicked lame! WAAH! Maybe your ancestors hibernated! When the going gets tough, the tough get studded tires. And maybe some mittens.
Old 02-25-08, 06:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear you brother!, I do a lot of road cycling and cant help thinking it's reducing my life expectancy!
Old 02-25-08, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who said you can't ride in Winter at all? How about using the weather forecast to help determain what days will be OK and what days to avoid. I personally would not ride even into the Fall without studded tires. You only need to hit a small patch of ice to have a bad day. In the Fall the weather tends to be wet and with the temperatures going up and down like a yo-yo sooner or later you'll be out and come accros some ice. I have been suprised at how much I've been able to cycle. The only time consistant time I've been off me bike was the last two weeks, but it was for two reasons:
First, we had some seriously bad sleet come down two weeks ago somewhat unexpectedly. I could barely walk outside, but things started out OK on the bike. I did have the rear end slip out from under me and hit the pavement pretty hard. My shoulder definitely needed a few days off after that. Considering the roads and sidewalk were covered completely with a layer of Ice I still can't believe the cycling went as well as it did. Walking was pretty much impossible. When I got home my gloves, and bags were covered with a layer of ice. It would have been smarter to call my wife for a ride on that day... hind sight it 20/20.
Second the day after my fall I came down with a good cold and have had a nasty cough ever since. Last week I was completely drained of energy. Sore shoulder + no energy + heavy wind meant staying off the bike a few days.

Over the weekend my head congestion has pretty much gone away and the cough is getting much lighter. I have plenty of engergy again. I also was able to get some swimming in, and have been working my arm a bunch to gently streach it out and work on getting my full mobility back. The pain is almost all gone!

Today I got back on the bike and it felt SO GOOD! I can't imaging parking my bike for a few months just because it is Winter. If the weather looks bad, I'll take the car for a day. I'll check the weather again the following day. If the weather has improved I can ride again. I love getting out in the Winter.

Enjoy the ride,
André
Old 02-25-08, 01:04 PM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5465 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Studded tires have changed my life and made all my acquaintances think I'm crazy but I have the most fun you can have with your pants on.
Old 02-25-08, 01:10 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Pants on?

Hmmm... I'm gonna try that next winter.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-25-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 01:20 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by andrelam
First, we had some seriously bad sleet come down two weeks ago somewhat unexpectedly. I could barely walk outside, but things started out OK on the bike. I did have the rear end slip out from under me and hit the pavement pretty hard. My shoulder definitely needed a few days off after that. Considering the roads and sidewalk were covered completely with a layer of Ice I still can't believe the cycling went as well as it did. Walking was pretty much impossible. When I got home my gloves, and bags were covered with a layer of ice. It would have been smarter to call my wife for a ride on that day... hind sight it 20/20.
I'm really glad you are recovering from your injuries, and back to enjoying your rides.

My stepson drove a car when the roads weren't too bad, braked on a little patch of ice and hit a small tree. He was in a coma for 4 weeks with shattered pelvis, neck and humerus along with a ruptured diaphragm and many other internal injuries. It's a miracle that he's even alive. Again this was in a car. The injuries were more severe than yours because a car is usually going faster than a bike (though only 25 mph in my stepson's case) and because your own car is like a weapon against you in a crash.

So sometimes it's hard to know what is dangerous and what isn't. People assume that a bike is more dangerous than a car, but there are no figures to decide that question. It's basically a matter of perception. That's why I agree with the others and you, andrelam. IMO, the OP is full of it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-25-08, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WARNING: Life is dangerous, by existing in this world you are putting yourself at extreme risk of dying. When in doubt stay in shallow end and hold tightly to the handrail.
Old 02-25-08, 01:43 PM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ Don;t forget your floaty armbands either^^^

Bah been riding virtually everyday for the past 6 years. Here in Toronto no studded tires required, but it gets pretty snowy and icy, especially this year. OP's lightweightidness is embarrassing. Just ride it out, learn to handle yourself on a bit of ice, wussyman.

andrelam.. fall down go boom .. get up.. heal .. go ride. That's the ticket.
Old 03-01-08, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I stud my own tires?I mean is there a kit?I dont want to spend a lot of money for studded tires because I could buy those cheap tires for $8.00 from the hardware store and stud them,also do those studs grip on those black ice puddles on the street?
Old 03-01-08, 05:11 PM
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Anyone who rides without studded tyres in the winter is stupid and is begging to be retired from the gene pool.

So, best thing is to ride with studded tyres in the winter.

Second best is, just don't ride if you're too stupid to put some studded tires on those wheels.

Worst is to continue riding on ice and snow without studded tyres, thinking you're somehow superman and you won't slip. You will, and you'll slip at the worst possible time, thanks to Murphy.
Old 03-01-08, 05:11 PM
On the big ring

Bikes: Trek 1100, Litespeed Catalyst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU, I'm glad you won't be out there clogging up the roads.
Old 03-01-08, 05:20 PM
ǝıd ǝʌol ʎllɐǝɹ I

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get 1/2 inch sheetmetal screws, with square heads.
Drill holes in your tire's knobs where you want studs from the outside in.
screw the screws thru the holes you made from the inside out.
Add a slit innertube or something like it in the tire, to do like a condom for the tube with air.

Anyways in the past I always used studded tires in winter, this year I've been riding without studs, just a wide knobby in front and narrow in the rear. It's working out pretty well, lightly studded in front would be nice. Despite the lower RR, I certainly don't go as fast as with studs.

Last edited by JeanCoutu; 03-01-08 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 08:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU, I'm glad you won't be out there clogging up the roads.
With the gas prices increasing out of control me and many others are going to be clogging the roads in about 20 years or so,you may have seen many years ago when the country of japan and china is overloaded with bicycles,in time the united states will be looking like that.So enjoy your bicycle cars will soon be obsolete or only for the rich.

Anyone who rides without studded tyres in the winter is stupid and is begging to be retired from the gene pool.
If they ride in the snow or ice itself,I dont know where you live,but where I live black ice is a problem if you dont see it on the street in time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.