Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Prodeal goods etiquette?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Prodeal goods etiquette?

Old 02-22-08, 12:20 AM

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prodeal goods etiquette?

What's the etiquette on selling items that you've purchased through a team's prodeal?

I know that reselling is frowned upon and usually grounds for removal from a team, but what about an item that you've only used once or twice and has since been sitting around for a year? I ask because I have a set of impulse-buy HED3s that I rather regret buying; they've been sitting around with <10mi total use because I prefer running 58mm zipp rims instead (which allow for a disc cover and soon a powertap hub).

I'd ask my LBS/team, but I don't think they're going to be happy about it. On the other hand, if I sold them without asking, and the LBS found out, I'm not sure they'd be too happy either. Ugh.

Anybody have words of advice or experience dealing with something like this? I could sure use some help. Thanks
Old 02-22-08, 12:25 AM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you sell it to someone else on the team?
Old 02-22-08, 12:28 AM
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try someone on the team first. After that, talk to the manager, explain the situation
and see what he thinks. They can't really expect you to keep stuff forever.
Old 02-22-08, 12:29 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Super Six 1, Cannondale F29er 1, Cannondale XTJ, Guru Pista, Lemond Limoge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I buy stuff through my shop via pro-deal (or whatever you call it, I'm an employee so maybe employee purchase is a better term), the unwritten rule is that after a year anything is fair game to be sold. Although it is frowned upon to ask for more than you payed.
Old 02-22-08, 12:32 AM

Bikes: 1999 Haro Escape A7.3, 2005 Giant OCR1 (SOLD), 2006 Cervélo Soloist Team, 2007 Salsa ElGoGo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been thinking about going the team route, but the issue is that I know everyone else on the team also jumped into a disc/h3 combo of some sort when the prodeal came around last year. My only chance with this option would be to wait for some new people to be recruited, but I'm looking for immediate funds to cover powertap expenses =)

Last edited by digitoast; 02-22-08 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 12:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris Flatlander
When I buy stuff through my shop via pro-deal (or whatever you call it, I'm an employee so maybe employee purchase is a better term), the unwritten rule is that after a year anything is fair game to be sold. Although it is frowned upon to ask for more than you payed.
Right . . . I was definitely going to sell it for no more than I originally paid. The idea was that somebody on craigslist (or on the team) would get my wheels for slightly less than I originally paid ... being ever so slightly "used" and all. And if I weren't able to sell it locally for some reason, then I can't be at fault if it sells for more than I paid on eBay right?
Old 02-22-08, 12:43 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
imo team contracts are a year long. Plenty of pros and elites sell stuff they don't use at the end of the season. They can't expect you to keep it if you're not using it. The one catch is if you're still sponsored by that manufacturer, you really should do them advertising by sporting the product you got a deal on, but I don't think that's a big deal in amateur racing.
Old 02-22-08, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitoast
What's the etiquette on selling items that you've purchased through a team's prodeal?

I know that reselling is frowned upon and usually grounds for removal from a team, but what about an item that you've only used once or twice and has since been sitting around for a year? I ask because I have a set of impulse-buy HED3s that I rather regret buying; they've been sitting around with <10mi total use because I prefer running 58mm zipp rims instead (which allow for a disc cover and soon a powertap hub).

I'd ask my LBS/team, but I don't think they're going to be happy about it. On the other hand, if I sold them without asking, and the LBS found out, I'm not sure they'd be too happy either. Ugh.

Anybody have words of advice or experience dealing with something like this? I could sure use some help. Thanks
If you've had them for a year, arent using them, go ahead and sell them for whatever you can get. I know that "flipping" stuff (selling new or shortly after purchase with no or little use) is considered bad form, but a "season" seems like a good statute of limitations to me.
Old 02-22-08, 07:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I sell anything that I get on the team deal and get more than what I paid orignaly, I just pass that money on to the shop.
Old 02-22-08, 07:45 AM
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tough situation.

typical prodeal is no resale within a year but i'd still say you have to go to your sponsor first even if it is over a year just so you don't burn any bridges. given that they've seen less than 10mi of use, offer to sell them back to the shop for what you paid. or i can take the front off your hands given the right price (=
Old 02-22-08, 08:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. Given that I've had the wheels for quite a while, I'm just going to suck it up and ask the LBS if they'd mind me selling them. We'll see what happens from there =)
Old 02-22-08, 09:27 AM
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put em on ebay, most shops dont want you to compete directly with them for parts or bike sales when you dump your stuff.
Old 02-22-08, 09:43 AM
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Kris Flatlander
the unwritten rule is that after a year anything is fair game to be sold.
For me, it's a written rule. The shop owner actually encouraged it somewhat (for whole bikes).
Old 02-22-08, 09:49 AM
this portrait of karma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
For me, it's a written rule. The shop owner actually encouraged it somewhat (for whole bikes).
yeah. when i worked at a shop and prodealed anything, the purchase form always had the 1 year term contained in it
Old 02-22-08, 09:59 AM
Lurker for Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Donate them to the team and write it off on your taxes for the full retail amount.
Old 02-22-08, 10:43 AM

Location: In the middle of horse country, in The Garden State
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think any of these suggestions are any good. Send them to me and I won't say anything to anyone and your problem will be solved.
Old 02-22-08, 11:35 AM
Writin' stuff

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
I buy and sell my prodeal/sometimes free mountain bikes every winter. Otherwise I'd have half a dozen unused bikes sitting in my basement.
I usually try to sell them to someone local, for a ridiculously good deal (spreading the sponsor love, so to speak). I'm not in it for a profit, just need to get rid of the old stuff. Team manager has never cared.