Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

body needs different.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

body needs different.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-03, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
body needs different.

I live in Arkansas, and it's perfect xc riding weather right now (slightly overcast, 80 degrees). However, this summer when it was 105 degrees+ I noticed a needed not only far more water, but also more food.

Now, I can go 2 hours before I feel the need for a gel or granola bar. Furthermore, I can rely solely on the water in my hydration pack, rather than needing a sports drink. If I put gatorade in my bottle cage, then I don't feel like I need a gel. I typically ride 2-3 hours 3-4 times per week, and I lift weights 3 times per week. I'm a 120 lb. female, but I'm not sure that matters. Any thoughts. Is it just the temperature difference? Should I continue to drink sports drinks and take in carbs/calories even though my body feels good?
Old 10-11-03, 03:13 PM

Bikes: 03' BigHit Comp/DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of a complex question. I'll answer as simple as possible. When it's hot out, your body works harder to keep cool; hence more sweat. When its cooler you body is not working as hard to keep cool. But, don't let that fool you. You still need to keep hydrated and fueled. It’s just that your body will not demand as much from you. It is still easy to become dehydrated when it’s cool outside.

So even though you may not “feel” thirsty or hungry, take a drink anyhow.
Old 10-11-03, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I know it's a pretty basic question, but this is the first time I've noticed such a dramatic difference over a season change.