Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comparing Apples (summer MTB shoes) to Oranges (winter boots)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 06:03 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

... for wide feet. No really, ... wiiiiiide feet.

I acquired summer shoes first, while waiting for an ankle to heal. I got Sidi's "Dominator 5 Mega", in size 42. I haven't ridden with them yet, but I know they'll be comfortable with thin summer socks.

I later acquired Lake's new wide version of their winter boots: "MXZ302-X" (-x is the new wide version). I ordered a size 42, based on the comfort of the summer shoes that came in size 42-wide. I rode the Lake boots for the first time today, on a 12 mile ride. I only wore one pair of winter socks (1:1 of nylon and wool), but after a mile, the boots felt tight.

My question is: Will these Lake winter boots stretch after use, so they don't feel as tight as the first day of use? I'm overly protective of my feet, ever since my ankle injury, and want to make sure I have proper foot gear. Not to mention on colder days when I would be wearing at least two pair of socks.

Because these winter boots cost about 270 bucks, I was wanting to get feedback from the gang on the stretch-ability of the boots after a hundred or so miles. Also, is there anything I can do to help to stretch the winter boots, such as proofhide?

Or am I destined to buy a second pair of Lake winter wide boots in size 44?
Old 02-24-08, 09:02 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
My summer shoes are 46 and my Lakes are 48 wide. I can't say for certain, but I think mine have stretched a bit. I seem to be cranking-up the BOA a little more than I used to. Then again, it could all be in my mind. But it seems that since they're real leather, there should be some stretch.

Hope yours get better for you. Mine are the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned, period.
Old 02-25-08, 08:44 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks TSL. That is probably a good rule of thumb for all to follow: Get your winter boots two sizes bigger than your summer shoes ... at least if you're going to wear two pair of socks. On a previous thread about wide winter (non-biking) boots, it was a profound revelation that they come as wide as 6E ... yes, that's EEEEEE wide. I snatched two pair of the hobbit boots, for knocking about on foot in the winter.

I've already started counting my coins for next year's size 44 wide Lake winter boots:

Old 03-17-08, 10:08 AM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I am here to say that yes, Lake winter (wide) boots do stretch if treated properly:
* I wear size 42-wide summer cycling shoes.
* I bought size 42-wide winter boots from Lake in the middle of last year, and never had them cleated until a few weeks ago. Never wore them until a few weeks ago, during a 12 mile ride in 30+ temperature.
* Only wore one pair of thin winter cycling socks during the 12 mile ride, but it was very uncomfortable to my right foot (fractured ankle in May).
* I applied a coat of "Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam" to the outside of the 42-wide boots right after the ride, and put them in storage. After sitting in storage for a few weeks ... I put on four pair of socks and wore the boots in the house all day Saturday, and most of Sunday ... while there was still residual Wonder Balsam on the outside of the boots.
* The boots stretched, and now conform more to the shape of my hobbit feet. Now they are a good size for 30+ temperature, with two pair of thin cycling socks.

Last night, I ordered more wide winter boots ... sizes 43 and 44. More than likely, one of these sizes will be perfect for eventual stretching ... to be used in below freezing weather.

+1 for Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam.