Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding routes in Southern Spain or Southern France. Got any?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 12:26 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am planning a trip with the family to Southern Spain and Souther France in Sept. Been there before, but not riding. I want to take my bike and ride everyday there. I figured if I am out by 6 AM or so, I can get in 3-4 hours of good riding before I have to be back with the wife and kids to do the rest of the day as a family. I would be going solo on my rides. We don't have plans on specific locations yet, but I am very open.

Please give me links to any routes you may have already drawn in south spain or south france in places like mapmyride.com or others.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-08, 12:30 PM
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stayed in Banyuls Sur Mer (south of Perpignan) France last summer and there was excellent riding along the coastal highway (D914)
Old 02-25-08, 01:05 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Southern France is a rather large area. Lots of possibilities. If you mean Provence, you definitely should ride Mount Ventoux.

In the Pyranees, staying in Pau would be a good idea. A number of the major climbs of the TDF are accessible form there, such as the Aubisque, the Tourmelet, etc.

Around the Cote d Azur, the roads along the sea tend to be narrow and very crowded in the summer, so I'd try to head inland from the coast.
Old 02-25-08, 01:10 PM

Location: Predominately in N.E. but travel around the world with work

Bikes: Pinarello Montello SLX, S-works E5 and Stumpjumper M4 Comp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in the area around Rota and Cadiz. I just do day trips so I can't give you any loops or anything. Sorry, I can check with MWR this week they have some multi-day trips.
Old 02-25-08, 03:13 PM
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, we are likely to start in Valencia, Spain and head along the coast going through Barcelona, Perpignam, Montpellier, Provence, Marseilles, Cannes, Nice, and possibly San Remo. Probably leave from there. Will likely stay overnight in smaller towns around the ones mentioned as we prefer to stay in smaller places rather than the bigger/crowder places packed with tourists. We are going in the last week of Sept. too, so tourist crowds should be to a minimum by then in our experience.

Any routes in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Any tips are also appreciated as this is my first "riding" trip to Europe. The most I start thinking about it, the more it seems like it will be a completely different and more complicated than out typical european vacations with a handbag, no reservations, and very little planning involved. I guess I should get a list of LBS in the areas in case something breaks or need anything.