Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Post Your Rigs

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Post Your Rigs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-03, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K2 zed 4.0

Old 12-20-03, 09:34 PM

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update on my original post...

New Specialized S-works Epic frameset (w/ adjustable brain), Fox Float 100RLC fork, Thompson seatpost, CK headset. XT/XTR drivetrain, Hayes hydraulic discs, Mavic 317 disc rims, semi-slick tires. mmmmmm.... Thanks Santa!
Old 12-20-03, 11:56 PM
bentrim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by jeff williams
found in a garage- ridden by kids- best $150 I ever spent, very slow on the upgrades though-
some sweets- rear mavick rim, dt swiss spoke, deore dx hub
downhill aomeba t-6 5mm alu handlebars
shimano slr brake levers
axiom telscope post and velo plush saddle
mostly the rest is shimano deore dx components
shimano sg c-46 front sprockets
araya rm-20 front rim ( came with the bike stock- prob 13 years ago-?)

so steel is great-13 years old- 1 little dent, lots of tensile strength in the frame still. weighs about 24 pounds- on a diet. oh I did paint the primer black- and am looking for old 1 inch threaded suspension fork.
I like the look of most of your bikes better- but for a old bike, this one rips.j
On the contrary. Out of all the megabuck bikes here, that classic Ritchey stands out.

It's like finding a mint 69 Camaro SS in a farmer's barn...Post more pics when you finish with restorations.

Old 12-25-03, 01:53 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bentrim
On the contrary. Out of all the megabuck bikes here, that classic Ritchey stands out.

It's like finding a mint 69 Camaro SS in a farmer's barn...Post more pics when you finish with restorations.
Thanks Bentrim- you made my day!
Old 12-25-03, 09:24 PM
Union of the Cow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's like finding a porky ancient bike that is marginally fast in a straight line but wallows through corners and is under-braked?

Bad analogy. It's just a bike.
Old 12-26-03, 01:49 AM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
So it's like finding a porky ancient bike that is marginally fast in a straight line but wallows through corners and is under-braked?

Underbraked is moot- I haven't even got to ripping those old off-
Do you own a 12 year old mtb that runs? Then it can't be sh@t right?

LIKE SHURE.. i'm taking corners @ 20, leaning w\ the h-bar end 2 feet off tha ground- on a bike that wallows? whatever- its about 22-23 pounds and is f-up p-23 ritchey or something-
The weld\frame designs were copied to Rockies, Special ect- Who came up with the ht design? Mostly Tom Ritchey- I ride his metal, a good product.
Go break a bike and I'll pass ya- "wallowing" in tears.

P.S....post a rig was the thread? Like i'm SHUURE you ride a Foes Weasle or the like- I'd to do that too, can't afford, so lets race flat, oh, and I guess in a straight------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and again- MERRY CHRISTMAS! ( had a few drinks- otherwise wouldn't kare- " THEMS FIGHTING WORDS SON, NEVER INSULT A MANS HORSE! ) YOU should have pointed out what a crappy photograph though. J

Last edited by jeff williams; 12-26-03 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-26-03, 03:18 AM
bentrim

You're missing the point. I didn't say that it would perform better than a new bike. It's about paying homage to a classic MTB company.

So no, it's not a bad analogy to people like me who appreciates ALL bikes; not just the "latest and greatest". You just don't see and appreciate bikes in the same way. That's okay. I'm sure there are people who don't like or appreciate other classics either like: 69 Camaros, The Doors and Led Zeppelin, Bobby Orr...you get the picture.

Funny though, that you are dissing the "porky ancient bike". Did you know that a whole lot of bike companies are going back to old school cromoly. Says something about the "ancient bikes" doesn't it? They were built well. Let's hope you and I can say the same for the aluminum bikes we are riding now.

For your last line about a bike being, "just a bike". If that's the case we all might as well think the same and ride the same bike from Sears.

To summarize: We all ride different bikes for different reasons whether it be functional, status symbol, sense of nostalgia and no one is wrong -- some prefer blondes, others prefer brunettes, some like Ginger, others like Mary Ann...

Finally, how many more pictures of the latest shiny new Trek, Specialized, or Cannondale can we possibly look at? I can just go to their slick website to see their 2004 bikes for that.

Don't start throwing rocks from that last comment people, I admit I ride a bike made by one of the "big three" too ...

Last edited by bentrim; 12-26-03 at 01:46 PM.

Old 12-26-03, 02:48 PM
Union of the Cow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff williams
Underbraked is moot- I haven't even got to ripping those old off-
Do you own a 12 year old mtb that runs? Then it can't be sh@t right?
Quick! Duck! Something just flew over your head!

My comment was about the analogy, and finding an old SS, not about whatever bike it is that you ride.
Old 12-26-03, 02:53 PM
Union of the Cow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're missing the point. I didn't say that it would perform better than a new bike. It's about paying homage to a classic MTB company.

So no, it's not a bad analogy to people like me who appreciates ALL bikes; not just the "latest and greatest". You just don't see and appreciate bikes in the same way. That's okay. I'm sure there are people who don't like or appreciate other classics either like: 69 Camaros, The Doors and Led Zeppelin, Bobby Orr...you get the picture.

Funny though, that you are dissing the "porky ancient bike". Did you know that a whole lot of bike companies are going back to old school cromoly. Says something about the "ancient bikes" doesn't it? They were built well. Let's hope you and I can say the same for the aluminum bikes we are riding now.

No, I'm not "dissing" the "porky ancient bike" I'm laughing at the analogy that holds up an SS as some kind of performance machine.

For your last line about a bike being, "just a bike". If that's the case we all might as well think the same and ride the same bike from Sears.
It is just a bike. Just as the latest ti wonder is just a bike, or the latest Trek carbon jobby, etc. etc.

I'm amused by folks who apparently have a good deal of their self-worth tied up in their bike when it's not about the ride, it's about the ride.
Old 12-26-03, 04:02 PM
bentrim

No, I'm not "dissing" the "porky ancient bike" I'm laughing at the analogy that holds up an SS as some kind of performance machine.

It is just a bike. Just as the latest ti wonder is just a bike, or the latest Trek carbon jobby, etc. etc.

I'm amused by folks who apparently have a good deal of their self-worth tied up in their bike when it's not about the ride, it's about the ride.
...and I'm amused by your egocentricism that compels you to criticize or find amusement by those that see things differently from you.

You're the one who is making a big deal, or overanalyzing an innocuous metaphor I made just to make a pointless point that benefits no one. So who's really the person with the small sense of worth here?

If that's the way you view life, you're in for one tough trip buddy since not everyone is going to see things as you see it in your world, nor does anyone have to justify it to you. Case closed. But regardless, you have yourself a Happy Holidays and prosperous New Year.

BTW, I find you contradictory. If a bike is just a bike to you, why are you even looking at this thread which has bikes ranging from $50 to over $5000? To some of us who are lucky enough to live in a democrasy where we have freedom of choice, bikes (and other things -- including people) have utilitarian, extrinsic, and intrisic value...

P.S. If you want to debate or need clarification on some of the topics I covered here including consumer behavior, Freud's id versus ego theory, Narcisstic Personality Disorder, supply side economics, Karl Marx's Das Kapital, philosophy of logic, Camaros, or old school bikes, please e-mail me privately and let's keep petty arguments out of the forums.

Last edited by bentrim; 12-26-03 at 04:29 PM.

Old 12-26-03, 04:29 PM
Union of the Cow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and I'm amused by your egocentricism that compels you to criticize or find amusement by those that see things differently from you.

You're the one who is making a big deal, or overanalyzing an innocuous metaphor I made just to make a pointless point that benefits no one. So who's really the person with the small sense of worth here?
LOL. Not overanalyzing, just pointing out that the analogy is funny. Apparently this causes you some kind of distress or something.

Comparinig a classic nimble bike to a classic car that is anything but nimble is funny.

p.s. Since when is it a requirement that a post benefits someone?
Old 12-26-03, 04:35 PM
bentrim

...p.s. Since when is it a requirement that a post benefits someone?

Touchee! Okay, you got me on that one, Sir.

Old 12-27-03, 12:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike:

2000 Rockhopper Pro

Avid Mech disc front (scary powerful!!!)
Avid V brake rear
XT Rear
LX Front
Stock wheelset for now
Shimano SPD515 Clipless pedals/Specialized mountain comp shoes
Thats a Comp Air Tool there too.
Manitou SX Fork (suprisingly usable--never bottomed out on me, and I'm ~195 pounds)
Stock crankset. Works well for me.
Old 12-27-03, 12:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I mention I love my bike?
Old 12-27-03, 12:46 AM

Bikes: 2004 Hardrock comp disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine. It's new, so it's all stock. I'll replace stuff with better stuff as I break it.
Old 12-27-03, 12:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the mud wipeout! Mine's usually coated in that too, but you can see in my pic it's been replaced by snow >=)
Old 12-27-03, 01:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I love it too. Certain trails here hold water for weeks because of all the tree cover. Sometimes the only way through it is, well...through it .
Old 12-27-03, 01:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice wipeout! That's the way a mountain bike SHOULD look! Mine is covered in dirt, scratches, and mud like a real bike should be! I spend less time worry about cosmetics and more time riding
Old 12-27-03, 06:32 AM
Withdrawal Symptoms!

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 2004 And identit Dr Jekyll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... Same bike as mine.. Mines usually as muddy as that, but its clean for once
Old 12-27-03, 06:33 AM
Withdrawal Symptoms!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just realised you have a different fork though, did that bike come stock with an RST?
Old 12-27-03, 03:11 PM
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wipeout
Here's mine. It's new, so it's all stock. I'll replace stuff with better stuff as I break it.
like the bike, love tha mud- you just set the theme for todays ride- gonna go get me and the bike dirty!
Old 12-31-03, 10:24 AM
Just a rider

Bikes: 03' kona stinky and 03' Azonic Ds-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
03' Kona Stinky. Not many upgrades, XT rear derailleur, WTB weirwolf tires, specialized seat, cateye enduro 8 computer, marzocchi front fender. and missing front brake because i hate hayes.

Old 12-31-03, 07:57 PM
Alpe D'Instigator

Bikes: lemond alp de huez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my new surly...gotta love it
Old 01-02-04, 05:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornish_Rdr_UK
Just realised you have a different fork though, did that bike come stock with an RST?

Nope, no RST. It's a marzocchi MZ comp and it comes stock on 04 hardrock comp's. At least the US version.

It felt better than a lot of the other forks available in the price range, but it's still an entry level fork and will most likely be replaced within the year.
Old 01-02-04, 05:13 PM
Withdrawal Symptoms!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm... On the Britsh version it comes stock with an RST Gilla Fork, I like the feel of the RST compared to the MZ... But i ahvent tried many forks, so i cant really compare it to anything better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.