Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Quill Stem / Headset for Raleigh Twenty?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 12:59 PM

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix singlespeed, 1984 Fuji Espree, 1993 Trek 800, Two 1973 Raleigh Twenties, 2007 IKEA / Raleigh folding 20, Monark Ergometer Stationary Fitness Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just received a Suntour M6300 threaded suspension fork for my R20 and plan to use Tektro levers with a Tektro 845 linear pull brake. Any recommendations on a long quill stem (without paying $45 for a Nitto Technomic) and an inexpensive headset? I already have an alloy wheel and a Wald high rise cruiser bar.
Old 02-26-08, 01:21 PM
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any 1" quill stem will fit though options are becoming limited as more and more bikes have ahead fittings. My Twenty's 1st iteration had an adjustable angle Kalloy stem which was really helpful to have when dialling in a good riding setup. It was tall enough and let me play with the reach. Later on, I substituted for a lighter 45° KF brand riser.

Example here:
https://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/publi...mlnndd7h7bpdv6

You can get also quill-to-aHead adapters that give you access to a larger range of stems, but the usual problem with Twentys is getting the bars high enough. A lot of people have gone the Ahead route with custom spacers (look up the 'Tarik' device' or any of Jur's excellent posts in this forum on the matter) but I'm a shorty (5'5") and don't ride particularly upright so have never really needed to worry too much about bar height

This thread might be help as well;
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...kf+stem+twenty
Old 02-26-08, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey I got this steere riser tube thing on an old mountain bike

Seen it in a cycle shop too.

I fitted it to my 20. Then placed a stem in it.
Rises the stem about 5 inch up.
Old 02-26-08, 05:37 PM

Location: Put your finger on the middle of a map of the USA... Thats me standing next to the COW:) (the cow is my sister)

Bikes: Schwinn Stingray 5sp, Phillips 20, 24"Dyno GT, Raleigh 20, Scott MTB, and a lot more that I dont want the wife to know about!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone see a prob with using the adaptor in alec's photo to simply extend the steerer on a steerer that is too short? I guess I mean having only this device coming out of the front head tube?

(I hope this isnt too stupid of a question. I just ask because I have a device like this that is aluminum, and I would dare trust it against my head set, but steel might be ok...)

R-20's: Fun that fits in a trunk...
Old 02-27-08, 02:29 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a proper headset on my forks then that tube is fitted like a stem is. Then a normal stem is fitted inside it.

The bars are at about 35 inch from ground.
They feel secure.
It feels like a normal bike position. Not squashed up like other small bikes are
Old 02-27-08, 02:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh yeah Ive cut down my head stock so it fits modern forks
Old 02-28-08, 02:39 AM

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Raleigh 20, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is quite a good loooking stem riser

https://www.bti-usa.com/public/catego...?page=1#SF5902

soma stem riser

out of stock here but probably the best of the shelf solution.
Old 02-28-08, 08:58 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Those Soma Stem Riser's come in black or silver.
Although black must be very hard to come by...

I used to see the silver one at https://www.universalcycles.com, but alas backordered.
Old 02-29-08, 09:46 AM

Location: Put your finger on the middle of a map of the USA... Thats me standing next to the COW:) (the cow is my sister)

Bikes: Schwinn Stingray 5sp, Phillips 20, 24"Dyno GT, Raleigh 20, Scott MTB, and a lot more that I dont want the wife to know about!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a black one and a silver one... not sure Im going to use em because I jsut ordered a different work around. Hopefully I will have the parts early next week. I plan to document the work around (thanks to Alecw35 on my blog next week. Bikeforums is flippin awesome for a guy like me inthe middle of the United States who is working on R-20's, a bike that NO ONE has ever heard of. I just wanna thank all of you guys for sharing.

R-20's: Why not look good while your going fast...
Old 02-29-08, 03:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey If you think that'll be a good solution for your stem thats good.

What about getting a stem custom made.
Couldnt be that difficult.
just cut up a stem and get a longer tube welded to it.
Wouldnt go to a bike builder as they'll want lots for it.
But a welder should be avle to do it for a small fee.
Maybe difficult to get a longer expander bolt...
but there often an 8mm metric thread
so could use threaded rod

Or maybe make a original style stem.
As they dont have an expander bolt in them
It would just be a case of bending the tube to the angle you want.
Then welding a bar clamp to it
Old 02-29-08, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just spent the last 4 weeks WAITING for a place to do just what you mentioned about cutting a piece out of another steerer and adding it to mine. They kept putting it off and putting it off, and then they called me to tell me they were going to do it. So I hopped in my car and rushed down there with my camera. I got there just before they were getting ready to cut the steerer tube off of my good fork. I asked the guy who was going to weld it how he planned to go about it. He told me he was just going to butt the two pieces together. I asked him if that seemed safe on a bike I planned to ride, and he said "No". Needless to say at that point I gathered my stuff and left. I had disscussed with the owner that I wanted them to put a sleeve inside of the two tubes to insure alignment and strength. That was one of the only places in town that had told me that they would attempt it, and it was going to cost me 75 dollars U.S. just to start (meaning the price could go up according to difficulty). I was going to also have a stainless steel pipe turneed to the diameter I needed, and that was going to cost a MINT! The method I need is something that will be easy to reproduce , an option that is clean looking and affordable. The parts should arrive next week or this weekend. I need to tallk to you about something you did to one of your other bikes Alec, but I have to got to a photoshoot right now. Maybe I will start a string about the question I have for you. can you maybe email me? greenroomstudios@cox.net

R-20's: Bringing people together from all around the globe...
Old 03-01-08, 02:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh that sounds bad

Didnt think it was that difficult.

I did mean to make a handle bar stem. Not the forks.
I seen in a cycle mag a reveiw of a Pedersen replica.
They thought the steering was stiff, so took the forks out.
They had been extended on the steerer tube, slightly squint
Thats got to be dead straight. No room for error.
Especially if you hit bumps at 30mph.

Maybe a BMX lay back seat post could be used for the stem, with a clamp welded to that.
Be a bit easier. Plus it would be strong steel.