Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Pictures of happy tandem couples?

Old 03-05-11, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Will von Kaenel invited me to post a picture or two from our recent cycling trip in New Zealand, so here goes. The tandem is a 1937 "Sun" built in Birmingham, England, and sports a 3-speed Cyclo derailleur, drum brakes front and rear integral to the hubs, and a stoker foot pedal to operate the rear brake (in addition to the captain's lever) in case the captain gets distracted. The bike also weighs about 50 lbs., but loaded with all our gear it hardly mattered! We did an unsupported 8-day ride through the Central Otago region of the South Island with nine other cyclists, all members of the Antique Cycle Club of Christchurch. The Sun tandem was the newest bike in the group (!); the others being 1920 or earlier--as you can see from the last photo, which includes the tandem to keep it appropriate to this forum! Also, no one in our group was injured in the Feb. 22 earthquake in Christchurch, but several suffered significant damage to their homes, and we mourn for the huge human toll it caused. Peace and safe riding, Dave Walker & Terry Malouf

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P2140047.jpg (104.4 KB, 487 views)
P2140073.jpg (99.9 KB, 408 views)
P2150146.jpg (100.8 KB, 389 views)
Old 03-05-11, 08:30 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sixtiescycles
The bike also weighs about 50 lbs., but loaded with all our gear it hardly mattered! We did an unsupported 8-day ride through the Central Otago region of the South Island...
Impressive. Most impressive.
Old 03-07-11, 10:41 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks; much appreciated.

To put it simply, we love to ride, and hands down our preferred mode is a tandem. Combine that with the spectacular scenery of New Zealand and the company of like-minded friends for a week or more and it's as close to heaven on earth that I can imagine. Two years ago we rode with the same group from Mt. Cook (highest point in New Zealand) to Christchurch over eight days on an even older tandem; an 1895 Victor "Victoria" lady-front, double-steering model. The story behind that bike is quite amazing: sold new in Denver, Colorado, by the local Victor dealer to the first Dean of Denver University. The bike fell into disrepair in the mid-20th-century until I rescued it from the trash compactor ten years ago. Hauled it to Christchurch on one of my earlier trips and left it with Robin Willan of Willan Cycles in Christchurch, who restored it brilliantly. We rode it for eight days with no mechanical issues, which is quite a testament both to the original builders as well as Robin Willan's consummate skill as a top-flight restoration expert. This is the bike that was, at least in part, the impetus for the V2r's right-sided timing design (and appears on the Paketa web site as well). As with most good ideas, there's nothing new under the sun. We have the advantage of better materials and the experience that many decades lends, but if you can think of a good idea today, chances are someone's tried it before. This doesn't bother me in the slightest; I enjoy reading and learning about old bikes and then thinking about how to apply those concepts in a contemporary context.

Next on my list is to resurrect a circa-1970 Alex Singer randonneuring tandem that we picked up recently. It's a fabulous machine that is equally deserving of being ridden and used the way it was meant to once again soon.

Attached Images
0229.jpg (96.9 KB, 735 views)
Rakaia Gorge.jpg (90.0 KB, 770 views)
0249.jpg (106.2 KB, 333 views)
Old 03-07-11, 11:13 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...an 1895 Victor "Victoria" lady-front, double-steering model. ... This is the bike that was, at least in part, the impetus for the V2r's right-sided timing design ... As with most good ideas, there's nothing new under the sun...but if you can think of a good idea today, chances are someone's tried it before.
This is particulary true for the Victor tandem, as it had in 1895 what is only now becoming the emerging standard of external bearing, hollow spindle cranks.

Even today, some otherwise very technically advanced tandems lack this feature.

Old 03-08-11, 06:46 PM

Bikes: 2013 Trek Superfly AL 29er hardtail, 2005 LeMond Tourmalet, 2004 Cannondale Road Tandem

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
sixtiescycles, Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures.
Old 03-16-11, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter riding

We were visiting some friends about 30 miles away (Spencerport NY), and they took this as we left. That was February 13. They just sent us the photo.

Attached Images
IMG_0159.jpg (58.0 KB, 333 views)
Old 03-21-11, 05:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out and about on the "quatro" last summer... *Happy Days*

Attached Images
P5250018.jpg (51.5 KB, 292 views)
Le Tedey 011.jpg (59.8 KB, 297 views)
P5250019.jpg (53.6 KB, 297 views)
Old 03-22-11, 04:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a '91(?) Burley Duet. Lots of original parts, but we got a new rear wheel built with an extra gear (I think we're up to a whopping 7 now?), both have Brooks saddles, both swapped out our bars (mine are wider than the originals, his are Nittos so have better ergonomics), put interrupter/cross brake levers on the captain's bars (so he has more hand positions, and can ride more upright in traffic), both have bells, I added a water bottle cage to the drops on my stoker bars (I can't reach water bottles on the downtube!), added a low rider rack (no mounts on the fork- had to use clamps), added a Racktime rear rack (has pannier rails below the platform), and of course- fenders: essential in the Pacific Northwest.

Here's some shots from the bike tour we did last summer, touring the Puget Sound area, Olympic Peninsula, Vancouver Island/Victoria, the Gulf Islands, and the San Juan Islands, for 11 days.
Unsupported, and more of a leisurely island-hopping vacation than a proper a-to-b tour- we did a few hundred miles, and our longest day was 70+, but we had 3-4 "rest" days and the other days probably averaged 30-40 miles.

And nope we don't use a trailer - 1 large (rear) pannier, 1 small (front/lowrider) pannier, and a small bag (trunk bag for me, handlebar bag for him), each (If you're curious how we do it, my packing list is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/theta44...7624773393505/

The only pic I have of us riding - in downtown Seattle
Our silhouette- on Lopez Island in the San Juans
Our bike, "LGB", extra-loaded down, on our first ferry (of 11, I think!)
My captain on the Lochside Trail outside of Victoria
Me (the stoker) walking the tandem onto a ferry, on Galiano Island I think

We've also ridden in a parade on our tandem....

...and when we moved in together, we had a Bike Move. Basically here in Portland you can pack up all your stuff, put out the call for a bike move, and at the appointed time everyone shows up with their trailers, and packs them with your stuff and moves it to your new house. In this case 24 people helped move my stuff 11 miles (!) in freezing cold December Portalnd rain (!) to my captain's house. (and yes...we owned a tandem together before living together! Long story) In exchange you feed everyone and give them adult beverages. Here's us leading the bike move with a trailer hooked up to our tandem, and front & rear panniers loaded. (And yes it was decked out with Christmas lights, red bows and ornaments cuz it was Christmas time.)

Last edited by theta444; 03-22-11 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-22-11, 05:12 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
^Wow, what great photos and story. Love the red bow. Rock on!

I've attached a photo from our Redwoods tour last summer, with primordial tree. Also our packing list, showing how we got all our camping gear into two panniers and a rack-top bag. We did a 12 day tour from Klamath to Humbolt State Park and back, camping 7 days and motelling 5.

In the photo, we also have 3 days food for the hiking part of our tour in the Humbolt Park.
Attached Images
tandem_tour_wts..jpg (80.1 KB, 198 views)
redwoods_tandem2..jpg (94.5 KB, 275 views)
Old 03-23-11, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you list Compression Stuff Sacks on there-something we were sorely missing Maybe my REI dividend....
Old 03-23-11, 06:51 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Websterbikeman, furrytail, & theta444--wonderful photos; thanks for sharing! The side-by side quad cycle brings back some very fond memories of mine riding a rented "sociable" (side-by-side) tandem (meaning, just two wheels, one before the other) in West Yellowstone with my daughters about 20 years ago. It was grand, and your adventures are in the same league.

Websterbikeman--what kind of tandem is that? Not a Tandem Twosday, it appears. Great photo, in any case!

Theta444--the photos with your reflection in the window and the shadow on the grass are classic! Very nice.

I do wish that more folks would try tandeming, as it really does bring people together. Isn't that obvious?
Old 03-23-11, 11:12 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by theta444
I see you list Compression Stuff Sacks on there-something we were sorely missing Maybe my REI dividend....
You folks look like fun. Love to ride with you sometime, if you ever get up this way again. We ride every Sunday. The sacks are totally the thing. Volume is as big a problem as weight.
Old 03-24-11, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
theta444,
The bicycle move thing looks like a blast, but the rain is definitely a Northwest thing. I'm surprised, however, that I don't see a triple with a 2" hitch towing a U-Haul trailer
Old 03-24-11, 10:42 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Websterbikeman--what kind of tandem is that? Not a Tandem Twosday, it appears. Great photo, in any case!
That be a Bilenky. More photos showing the bike itself in other threads.
I do wish that more folks would try tandeming, as it really does bring people together. Isn't that obvious?
They say a tandem will take your relationship wherever it's going faster. So I'm all in favour of more folks trying tandeming, but preferably the right ones. No need to increase the numbers that think of them as divorce bikes.
Old 03-29-11, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then and Now

The first picture is my father and mother and me taken in 1963 when I was 3 years old. My dad built the tandem from plans in Popular Mechanics magazine. As I got older I used to captain that tandem with my friends. The second picture was taken this year, 47 years later, in the same location as the first picture. It is of my wife and me, now I'm 50 years old.

Attached Images
Tandem.jpg (90.8 KB, 442 views)
Tandem 013.jpg (100.9 KB, 485 views)
Old 03-30-11, 07:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You haven't changed a bit

Although your taste in bikes appears to have shifted a bit upscale...
Old 04-04-11, 09:22 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2004 Trek Equinox 11 Tri Bike - 2012 build, 1988 Cannondale - old tri bike, Trek 930 mountain bike, Sanwa - Cross Bike, Giordanno Viaggio tandem bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time tandem riders taking off on our maiden voyage on our brand new tandem. My wife and I got the first ride, then my three older children each took a spin with me for a total of 22 miles. It was cold out, but we couldn't wait!

Attached Images
Tandem riding.jpg (95.7 KB, 331 views)
IMG_9615.jpg (102.6 KB, 336 views)
IMG_9603.jpg (91.9 KB, 352 views)
IMG_9609.jpg (101.0 KB, 360 views)
IMG_9608.jpg (101.9 KB, 321 views)
Old 04-04-11, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is us in Italy back in September. It was an amazing trip - one we thought would be a once in a lifetime experience. Now we're convinced we'll go back again!
Attached Images
DSC01579.jpg (103.0 KB, 345 views)
Old 04-05-11, 05:46 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
WeeBee: Best pictures, yet.

Old 04-12-11, 06:52 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I've created a Tandem set of photos including:
- my old green Gitane tandem which has run away to the theatre
- the silver KHS which Rowan and I borrowed to try out a tandem
- the blue Santana which we bought at the beginning of February

Tandem photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-...7626350106939/

And a few from that set, with both of us and our new Santana ...

Old 05-08-11, 07:45 AM
hup

Bikes: '04 Serotta CIII, '01 Lemond Poprad, mid 90s Burley Rock N Roll Tandem, Old School Specialized HardRock, '15 GT Grade alloy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did our first metric yesterday. It was a club sponsored ride up to Pine Flat Lake, mostly flat rural roads with a couple miles of foothills near the turnaround point. It was our longest ride ever by over 20 miles, but we made it through just fine and enjoyed the perfect riding weather.

Old 05-08-11, 01:23 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations on the Metric. Sounds like a very nice ride indeed; yesterday's weather was indeed perfect for riding throughout northern California. You.re fortunate to be part of a club that has tandem friendly rides as you've described. One of these days we're going to do an organized ride down your way; it's not too much of a drive for us.
Old 05-08-11, 04:45 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

An updated photo from our last posting 3 years ago.
Yup, still riding . . .
Our Zona tandem is 'just broken in' and has 33,000+ miles on it.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
_DSC3332.jpg (105.7 KB, 287 views)
Old 05-09-11, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On an easy 35 mile ride

Old 05-09-11, 03:52 PM

Bikes: 07 Jamis Quest, old hardtail Trek mtb (beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Along the Great Highway in San Francisco, on the second ride of our first tandem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.