Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New and looking for advice...

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey now,

I'll try to keep it brief. I'm 36 and I used to ride in my early to mid 20's. No idea what bike I used to ride. Whatever used or Kmart special I could get my hands on. Rode 5 to 10 miles a day commuting and around college and was 5'8" / 155lbs.

Now I'm 220lbs with a couple of boys who want me to take them riding.

I will need something for roads and bike paths. No serious off road. Hard packed dirt / stone / paved bike paths along with riding around the neighborhood. Maybe up and down the shore this summer. I was down to 180lbs a couple of years ago going to the gym but I hate going there. I'd rather ride around with my boys and go on longer runs with friends. Fresh air and exercise,

I am looking at the Trek 7.3FX and the 7.5FX. Two questions...Are these good choices for what I want to accomplish and what is the price for performance break between the two. Is the 7.5FX worth the xtra $$$?

I appreciate any responses.

-jim
Old 02-26-08, 10:18 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Well, there are a couple of schools of thought.

First, the bike will likely be just fine. At 220, you aren't all that heavy, other than possible wheel issues. What you can do about that is upgrade the wheels to a higher spoke count at the get go and trade back the stock wheels toward the upgrade wheels. As to other aspects, the difference in price isn't that big and you get better components, which if you decide to upgrade to later, will cost FAR more than at the initial new purchase.

When you but a new bike, if you look at the actual cost of parts, what you are doing is purchasing the running gear and they basically just give you the frame.

Buy the bike you like and feel the best on, though because if you like your ride, you'll ride it more often.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-26-08, 10:24 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DRK_Star
Hey now,

I'll try to keep it brief. I'm 36 and I used to ride in my early to mid 20's. No idea what bike I used to ride. Whatever used or Kmart special I could get my hands on. Rode 5 to 10 miles a day commuting and around college and was 5'8" / 155lbs.

Now I'm 220lbs with a couple of boys who want me to take them riding.

I will need something for roads and bike paths. No serious off road. Hard packed dirt / stone / paved bike paths along with riding around the neighborhood. Maybe up and down the shore this summer. I was down to 180lbs a couple of years ago going to the gym but I hate going there. I'd rather ride around with my boys and go on longer runs with friends. Fresh air and exercise,

I am looking at the Trek 7.3FX and the 7.5FX. Two questions...Are these good choices for what I want to accomplish and what is the price for performance break between the two. Is the 7.5FX worth the xtra $$$?

I appreciate any responses.

-jim
I ride a 7.5. The main difference between it and the 7.3 is a carbon-fiber fork on the 7.5, which is a weight savings. They are both great bikes.

Here's my 7.5 waiting for the train in Ft. Washington, PA:

Old 02-29-08, 08:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I had made up my mind on the 7.5fx until....

A bike shop I stopped into has a leftover '07 7.6fx for $10 cheaper than the '08 7.5fx. Would there be any reason to take the new model 7.5 over last years 7.6? I'm not sure if I like the candy red on the '07. It just yells out "steal me!" But the price is great.

I'm just wondering if their is any advantage to buying the newer 7.5fx? Otherwise I'm picking up the leftover 7.6 tomorrow when they open.

Jim
Old 02-29-08, 09:03 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts

A bike shop I stopped into has a leftover '07 7.6fx for $10 cheaper than the '08 7.5fx. Would there be any reason to take the new model 7.5 over last years 7.6? I'm not sure if I like the candy red on the '07. It just yells out "steal me!" But the price is great.

I'm just wondering if their is any advantage to buying the newer 7.5fx? Otherwise I'm picking up the leftover 7.6 tomorrow when they open.

Jim
The difference between this years 7.6 and last years is probably paint color and little else. The difference between a 7.5 and a 7.6 is much greater. Rule of thumb: Always buy the next higher level if it's cheaper
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-29-08, 10:06 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the 7.6, save ten bucks and get a better rear derailure.

Your dealer should still offer the "new bike" perks with a left over leaving no reason not to consider the leftover, that is unless it doesn't fit you properly. If it is not the exact same size you were fitted for on the 7.5 don't buy it. So I would say that if you still get the new bike perks and it is the proper size for you then defiantly go for the 7.6. Post some pictures when you can and share your adventures with us.

Bau
Old 02-29-08, 10:39 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Jim
Depending on where you are, the gearing on the 7.5 might be better than that of the 7.6. A comment posted to my blog:

Neil, looking at the specs between the 7.6FX (my bike) and the 7.5FX (your future one?) I see some significant differences, most of which would make me reccomend the 7.5 over the 7.6 in your case. The front crank is a 48/36/26 triple -vs- my 50/36 compact double. If I regret anything about picking the 7.6 (which I do, to be honest) it is that I went with a double in such a hilly area like where we life. Note too the 26 tooth small gear up front is smaller than most triples and will help even more that the more common 50/39/30 setup. The rear cog can stay the stock 11-26 since you no longer need any help back there like I had to do with my MTB-esque replacemnt cog.

Staying with a non carbon seat post might be a good thing too, since you don't want to worry about over tightening in response to any slippage - who carries a torsion wrench with them?

As I thought the rear deraileur is 105 -vs- tiagra, big scheme of things probably not a big deal. Brakes and shifters are different models, but I doubt any real detectable difference in their day to day use.

That said, they are both great bikes, and if you don't live with rollers like I do, then either will work.

Old 02-29-08, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again everyone. I am so glad I found this site.

I live at the Jersey shore. Very flat. I called the shop and they are assembling the 7.6fx for me today to pick up tomorrow morning. I am very excited.

What else do I need out of the starting gate? (I know. Another question. But I figured I'd ask anyway.) I want to take advantage of the 15% off accessories with a new bike purchase. I feel like such a noob.

I'm gonna pick up a helmet, water bottles, a seat pack for cell phone and keys, and a computer for mileage/speed.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of these items or is there something I am missing?

Once again, thank you for being kind to this noob. I really appreciate it. You guys are great!

Jim
Old 02-29-08, 04:27 PM
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Computer,

I use a cheap Schwinn Computer, and a Balckburn Delphi, and a Cateye. All are good.

Helmet: Get something light and has good ventilation. Don't skimp on the noggin

The other place to not skimp is the butt! Get the best cycling shorts you can afford. Look at the Clyde Clothing Database in the stickies for suppliers.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 02-29-08, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi

I would add a spare tube and pump also