Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Getting people out of cars - NIMBY attitudes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 11:39 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Preaching to the choir here but if any of you get the chance to watch (and friends and family) "The woman who stops traffic" do so as it's an excellent insight in just how much of a death grip the average motorist has on their steering wheel.

Basically, it's a about a conflict resolution/management consultant who is asked to try and un-jam three completely grid locked towns. Very interesting and a little frustrating to watch (Lots of "I'd drive less if there was less traffic" comments ).

https://www.channel4.com/lifestyle/gr...stops_traffic/

The TV program is available free online here - https://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

edit: Doh! the real title is "the woman who stops traffic"
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

Last edited by markhr; 03-01-08 at 07:30 AM. Reason: edit: Doh! the real title is "the woman who stops traffic"
Old 02-28-08, 01:11 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by markhr
The TV program is available free online here - https://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html
only in the UK/Ireland
Old 02-28-08, 01:33 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
only in the UK/Ireland
I'd guessed as much but, given my lack of technical IT knowledge, can't you use a proxy server in the UK to watch the show? If that's even possible.
Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!
Old 02-28-08, 02:18 PM
Rando commuter

Bikes: 2018 Boulder Bicycle All Road, 2011 Velo Orange Randonneur, 2015 Jamis Coda, 2004 Klein Aura V, 2007 Bike Friday NWT, 1989 Schwinn Sierra w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a few minutes viewable from the main website.

I'd be flabbergasted if she's successful.
Old 02-28-08, 02:30 PM
Rando commuter

Bikes: 2018 Boulder Bicycle All Road, 2011 Velo Orange Randonneur, 2015 Jamis Coda, 2004 Klein Aura V, 2007 Bike Friday NWT, 1989 Schwinn Sierra w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and the only way I see success is by riding right past the cars stuck in traffic every morning - and waving! Convince them with smiles and speed that they're just idiots stuck in their cages.
Old 02-28-08, 02:45 PM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeffS
only in the UK/Ireland
And it won't work with Linux.
Old 02-28-08, 02:53 PM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if anyone can find it anywhere else on "teh interwebz" please post the links.

edit: that is links that are useful to people outside UK/NI
Old 02-28-08, 05:54 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
you could use the Tor super-proxy to find a proxy in the UK - see https://tor.eff.org

my race videos
Old 02-28-08, 06:21 PM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gazer
Oh, and the only way I see success is by riding right past the cars stuck in traffic every morning - and waving! Convince them with smiles and speed that they're just idiots stuck in their cages.
That's what I do, on my commute I pass about 35-50 cars a day, only 4-6 pass me. I wave and keep on going, I also wave at the gas stations.
Old 02-28-08, 06:56 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I was thinking about "passing" cars today...I was waiting on a looong left turn light that leads to a road that leads to the road that leads to my office The road is 5+ lanes wide at that point and you can see for over a mile down the road. Cars as far as the eye can see....but no way to pass them unless you ride on the sidewalk. What is really ignorant to me, is the abandoned rail line that would make an awesome MUP/Cycleway from the one small town to the next, plus it runs across the back side of probably half a dozen smaller industrial/office "parks". The small towns have become bedroom communities for the larger city that they surround. A classic case of Piss Poor Planning and the Kar is King syndrome. I would be willing to bet that the backup at that light exceeds 2 miles and takes at least 15-20 minutes to clear thru.

Glad I only go to the office about once a month

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 02-28-08, 06:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If you pass 100 cars on your commute, I bet 1 driver might think "Hey, maybe I should try riding my bike to work." The other 99 probably say "****ing biker! Get off the road!"
Old 02-28-08, 07:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If you pass 100 cars on your commute, I bet 1 driver might think "Hey, maybe I should try riding my bike to work." The other 99 probably say "****ing biker! Get off the road!"
That is how I got my start. That and I needed to lose some weight. Now I am happy on both accounts
Old 02-28-08, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I was thinking about "passing" cars today...I was waiting on a looong left turn light that leads to a road that leads to the road that leads to my office The road is 5+ lanes wide at that point and you can see for over a mile down the road. Cars as far as the eye can see....but no way to pass them unless you ride on the sidewalk.
What do you ride, a Rhodes car? https://www.rhoadescar.com/lobby.htm
Split them! That is the beauty of a bike, it is not a car, those long lines of traffic are for car drivers, not for you. A bike is so much more than a car, split them!
Old 02-29-08, 12:07 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
That's what I do, on my commute I pass about 35-50 cars a day, only 4-6 pass me. I wave and keep on going, I also wave at the gas stations.
I pass a lot more cars than that each day, but I generally keep a low profile about it. Just imagine what would happen if all of those people followed your lead, got out of their cars and started riding to work. Imagine what it would do to your commute, suddenly having to compete with 35-50 bikes for the space of the road that you currently occupy, while the 4-6 still on the road zoom by in the traffic lanes. That doesn't quite fit with my vision of a cycling utopia.

Personally, I'd be happy if they just stay in their cars and sit in the gridlock forever.

That is all.
Old 02-29-08, 04:29 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

What do you ride, a Rhodes car? https://www.rhoadescar.com/lobby.htm
Split them! That is the beauty of a bike, it is not a car, those long lines of traffic are for car drivers, not for you. A bike is so much more than a car, split them!
Lane splitting is not considered legal in NC, also on that particular stretch of road the lanes are not wide enough for lane sharing, people are always weaving from one side to the other of the lane in an attempt to see ahead of them. If I had to ride that road regularly I would definitely consider being a side walk rider, what also bites is that there are no alternate routes, that I am aware of. When they widened that road they closed off and removed at least 2 of the parallel roads. The road comes from an area of "lollypop" subdivisions....glad I don't live in that area.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 02-29-08, 06:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not even sure lane splitting is legal here, I know for motorcycles it isn't, but my local police lt. instructed me to do it at all intersections. ( I don't do it at all intersections, just selected ones).
I guess I think of it like this, it is legal for a car to share a lane with you to pass you, so the opposite must be true as well.
Old 02-29-08, 07:23 AM

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I think of it like this, it is legal for a car to share a lane with you to pass you, so the opposite must be true as well.
You have persuaded me! From now on I can filter without feeling guiltier.
Old 02-29-08, 08:15 AM
Membership Not Required

I do filter in a lot of situations, but a 2 mile back up? BTW that is typical for this particular stretch of road. I also know that people will be irate if they have to keep passing you...

As a general rule I avoid riding in that type of traffic if there is an alternate time or route to take.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 02-29-08 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 08:59 AM
POWERCRANK addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did any of you filtration experts get the 4OD site to work outside the UK, either by proxy or some other means?
Old 02-29-08, 12:14 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I normally don't filter, but a couple of years ago there was construction on the expressway here, and the 2 lane rural road that people were using as a bypass (and is my only real way to get from here to there) started having 5 miles of stopped cars on it. In the time it took me to cover that 5 miles, I doubt the cars I was passing went even 1 mile. I think I could have walked as fast as they were going. I normally go even faster on that road but having to squeeze by in the 10 inches of pavement that dropped off to gravel made me go quite a bit slower.
Old 02-29-08, 12:19 PM
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
^^^^^^^^^^ How can you tell it's spring in Michigan? The orange construction barrels are out.
Old 02-29-08, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by gmule
That is how I got my start. That and I needed to lose some weight. Now I am happy on both accounts
Awesome. It's like taking the red pill, isn't it?
Old 02-29-08, 01:51 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I am not even sure lane splitting is legal here, I know for motorcycles it isn't, but my local police lt. instructed me to do it at all intersections. ( I don't do it at all intersections, just selected ones).
If you're not sure, the simple answer is to download a copy of your local legislation and read it. Don't take the word of a motorist or someone spouting on an Internet forum, or even a police officer (who is just as likely to be ignorant of the law as anybody else). Go straight to the source.

I know that in my state, there is no law prohibiting lane-splitting at all. In fact, it's perfectly legal even for car drivers if they manage to get into a situation where it actually becomes practical.

That is all.
Old 02-29-08, 02:39 PM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
NYT article on people ditching their mortgages to afford their cars:

Jon Maddux, a founder of You Walk Away, said the company’s services were not for everybody and were meant as a last resort. The company opened for business in January and says it has just over 200 clients in six states.

“It’s not a moral decision,” Mr. Maddux said of foreclosure. “The moral decision is, ‘I need to pay my kids’ health insurance or my car payment so I can get to work.’ They made a bad decision, but they shouldn’t make more bad ones just because they have this loan.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/us/29walks.html
Old 03-01-08, 12:18 AM

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
She really did this! In February? Damn, I'm impressed.
I suppose once you get them riding in winter, the rest of the year is easy.

Hey, and she's coming to Boston!
Ohh, thats Boston, Lincolnshire, not Boston, Massachusetts, and she already did.
Sounds like her approach to advocacy really works.
I think we could use more people like her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.