Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How often do you go to the doctor?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 03:46 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that we are "over 50", I'm wondering if everyone is trying to do a better life style and stay out of the doctor's office. My husband is finally coming around to the fact that he must eat more fiber, fruits, vegetables etc. to make himself feel better. Getting him to go the the doctor for a yearly check up is impossible. I only go once a year for my yearly checkup. Last time I went into the doctor, he wondered why I was even there since I just wanted a yearly check up. He wouldn't even schedule for me to get blood work done, I guess he thought I was to healthy.
Old 02-28-08, 03:51 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only go when I can't stand the pain anymore. (Oh, and when my
blood pressure prescription runs out). Doctor's offices are full
of SICK people.
Old 02-28-08, 03:57 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to do whatever it takes to get him to see his doctor! At his age it's very important to have an annual checkup. Tell him to "grow up " and see the doctor, and you'll give him a Tootsie Pop.
Old 02-28-08, 03:59 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to go once a year whether I wanted to or not for regular testing (or occassionally if I got physically injured). Two years ago I got cancer and well now I am a regular visitor with not one but several doctors. That sucks. I'm usually in someone's office every 3 months. Hoping that eventually slows down and I get back to once a year or I'll even accept twice a year.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-28-08, 04:05 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I get called back every 6 months just to be asked "Any Problems"? Can't see the sense in really but they have to earn their exhorbitant salary.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-28-08, 04:18 PM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to schedule my yearly checkup about every three years.
Old 02-28-08, 04:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swan652
I try to schedule my yearly checkup about every three years.
Sadly, I am no better.
Old 02-28-08, 05:13 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Sadly, I am no better.
Oh I do lots better than that! I schedule my yearly checkup once every two years .

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-28-08, 05:18 PM
NadaKid

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm supposed to go the the doctor once a year? I don't get sick once a year.
Old 02-28-08, 05:21 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I go pretty much every year. Since my insurance requires a wait of at least 12 months for them to cover it, it tends to be about every 13 months.

Then there are the occasional unscheduled trips... one every few years. Ankle, chest pains, ear infections... those kinds of things.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-28-08, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I have to get a DOT physical every year but that hardly counts "What color is this blue card?" The company doesn't care what lies we tell the doctor as long as we get recertified.

I actually got scoped last fall. Found out I had a perfect (tushie). Other than that it's pretty much just the big three: Can't work, can't have sex, can't ride my bike.
Old 02-28-08, 05:29 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to go every 6 months to have my thyroid levels checked, but other than that I go when I have to--no regular checkups.
Old 02-28-08, 05:33 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
unfortuantely because of some injuries in the Marine Corps and AO exposure I am a regular @ the VA,every 3 months for check-ups
Old 02-28-08, 05:40 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
My Dad was like that Litespeed. By the time we forced him in, his prostate cancer was advanced and had spread out to his spine. He shriveled and died a painful death that could/should have been avoided by seeing a doc regularly.

I have a yearly exam, which includes a PSA test and digital prostate exam. I gladly open wide for this exam, I've seen what the alternative brings, and I'm not having it.

Good luck, I hope hubby sees the light and goes in for a check up.
Old 02-28-08, 06:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For every Horror story of NOT going to a doctor I will give you a Horror story of "False Positives."
A classic happened to my wife: She is healthy as she can be but feels compelled to get a Mammogram. Positive Test Results. She gets a biopsy. Infection from the biopsy which took months to clear up with all kinds of medication. The Mammogram test was false positive.
I can give you a series of similar stories including a doctor trying to pay for his divorce with unneeded operations. He got caught and made the news. How about all the staph infections in hospitals? You go in with cosmetic surgery and fight for your life against staph.
I go to a doctor when something seems to be wrong. If nothing is wrong, do not fix it.
Old 02-28-08, 06:03 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifty
My Dad was like that Litespeed. By the time we forced him in, his prostate cancer was advanced and had spread out to his spine. He shriveled and died a painful death that could/should have been avoided by seeing a doc regularly.

I have a yearly exam, which includes a PSA test and digital prostate exam. I gladly open wide for this exam, I've seen what the alternative brings, and I'm not having it.
Thanks for posting your story. Not that this would ever happen to any of us (well difinitely us girls) but we all take our health too much for granted. I know I put off going to see the doctor and it was almost too late. Thankfully a good friend forced me to go and my cancer was found early.

It's a small thing to see the doc every year and a small thing to do that not so nice testing (like colonscopies) if it prevents something so much worse. Shifty I feel for your dad and your family for having to go through what he did. But it's a good thing you got the message and see a doc regularly.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 02-28-08, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I have lost enough weight and gotten in good enough shape that my doctor let the annual physical slide right by this year. What a nice treat. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 02-28-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go every 6 months and have to see the doctor so he can order my A1C and related blood work, but thats so he can charge me a couple of hundred for the office visit instead of just the lab fees, after all he just built a multi million dollar med pavalion/cosmetic surgery, spa center and needs to make the payments. Its a shame I think he is actually a good doctor, if I didn't my cynicism would be a more comfortable fit.
Old 02-28-08, 06:45 PM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a bigger fan of prevention/healthy choices than I am of going to the doctor...

Once a year...
Old 02-28-08, 07:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Annual exam - PSA, blood work and prostate. Cheap insurance against the big C. He wanted me to have a heart/artery scan (purely preventive - no symptoms) but I haven't got around to it yet.

Recent colonoscopy.

Have had a couple of conditions which caused much more frequent trips to the doc. My trigeminal Neuralgia flared up again recently, and I had to see a neurologist simply to get the Rx renewed, as it had been a long time. Of course, the darn stuff went into remission again shortly afterwards.

My bout three years ago with atrial fibrillation required a lot of doc visits, until I got the ablation and got it fixed. Gone now and no more cardiologist.

Now my wife and docs - that is an entirely different thing . . . .

I do think there is an average increase in MD visits as one gets a bit older. Not for everyone, but as an average.
Old 02-28-08, 07:22 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whatever happened to house calls?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-28-08, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to some lists, doctors are the third leading cause of death in the U.S..
Old 02-28-08, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When my wife and I were first married we were visiting my grandparents. My wife commented to my granfather that he sure seemed to be in good health. He replied " I don't know if I am or not, I haven't been to a Dr. in 17 years". He died the next year of cancer. By the time he went to the Dr. there was nothing they could do for him.
I go once a year to have my prostate exam, once a year or two for general bloodwork check. I went to the walk in clinic last month with a sinus infection and they said I hadn't been there since 05.
Old 02-28-08, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I go when my wife makes me.,, got to be more careful,,, last time they give me a colonoscopy,,,,I stayed awake for the whole thing.
Old 02-28-08, 08:06 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by will dehne
For every Horror story of NOT going to a doctor I will give you a Horror story of "False Positives."
...................................................................I go to a doctor when something seems to be wrong. If nothing is wrong, do not fix it.

The problem with that attitude, as regards prostate cancer, is that nothing seems to be wrong until it spreads to another organ or your bones... that's when the pain begins. The only way to detect it is with a PSA test (not 100% accurate), a digital exam, and if one of these is a positive indicator a biopsy (very painful).

I was lucky to have the cancer removed just in time and there is no sign of cancer now. But I will guarantee you that you will not want to go through a year like I have since last March as I continue to struggle with the healing process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.