Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I got deliberately sideswiped by a delivery truck, and lived!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 06:44 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts

It's morning peak hour, I'm nearly at my destination in fairly heavy city traffic. I'm the last in line and make a left at a green light at a cross intersection (remember, we drive on the left here). I'm almost completed the turn when a small delivery truck runs the red from what would have been my right hand side before making the turn.

He starts honking as he comes up beside me (I'm right in the middle of my lane) then he starts swerving into me, still honking. I react by swerving away but he manages to sideswipe me. I managed to stay upright even though for a fraction of a second I thought I was dead. I hit the brakes and manage to stop just before getting pancaked between the truck and the first parked car. I swear there wasn't more than 3 or 4 inches left between the truck and the car.

What really enraged me is that I could see him looking at me, laughing, and giving me the finger through his great big side mirror. I sprinted after him and caught him at the next red. He was stopped in traffic but as I approached I could see his front wheel turning and him looking at me through his rearview. As I expected he deliberately lunged forward to block my path (or more likely to hit me) as I approached. Fortunately for me he didn't have enough room in front of him to fully block me... and I was anticipating the move. I landed a perfect punch to his rear view mirror and smashed it as I went past. It folded forward right around and hit his windshield.

Footnote: Don't try this unless you're wearing a stury pair of gloves. I use and highly recommend these. There's a lighter model I use in summer.....

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 02-29-08 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 06:51 PM
Rider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
.... Nasty, but I do not know that I would have done that. The violence may be cathartic, but it renders it much harder, if not impossible, to get the police involved.
Old 02-29-08, 06:57 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by JusticeZero
.... Nasty, but I do not know that I would have done that. The violence may be cathartic, but it renders it much harder, if not impossible, to get the police involved.
The only way the cops get involved in that sort of incident is if there's a dead cyclist under the truck's wheels.... and then it's just to report that the cyclist swerved in front of the truck and was therefore responsible for the tragic accident. After all, there's only the driver's version left.
Old 02-29-08, 06:58 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Good to hear you are okay and I really hope you got his plate number.

I also wish that more than his mirror got smashed.
Old 02-29-08, 07:02 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on a side note. what's your avatar. looks like a parrot head on a cheese grater.
Old 02-29-08, 07:03 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Good to hear you are okay and I really hope you got his plate number.

I also wish that more than his mirror got smashed.
Nah, I didn't bother with his plate number, there's no point.
Old 02-29-08, 07:08 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by yes
on a side note. what's your avatar. looks like a parrot head on a cheese grater.
The email was titled "another recalled toy from China" I guess it doesn't really work as an avatar, oh well....

Old 02-29-08, 07:25 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yikes!
Old 02-29-08, 07:32 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
The only way the cops get involved in that sort of incident is if there's a dead cyclist under the truck's wheels.... and then it's just to report that the cyclist swerved in front of the truck and was therefore responsible for the tragic accident. After all, there's only the driver's version left.
And then the papers and apologist tell us how sad it is, that the driver will have to live the rest of his life knowing he killed a cyclist.

Maybe you could use a glove upgrade for the next time you see this driver:
https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...SeriesCode=281
Old 02-29-08, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd boomerang the m@therf@cker.
Old 02-29-08, 07:47 PM
THE NEW EVOLUTION

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Aurora Elite, 2008 Masi Speciale CX, 1997 Giant Yukon (4130 Steel)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reaction is up to the individual. Don't rely on the moral judgement of others because it is all relative to interpretation. Screw that jackass in the truck for his motives. If something comes flying back at him,than as he might expect there is always an equal and or opposite reaction. The battles you choose are your own and that's completely up to you, not the wise men yelling from the sidelines. Find your own truth in every situation.
Old 02-29-08, 07:49 PM
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screw 'em! After years on a motorcycle commuting, having fun and hitting the race track every now and then I have NO compunction to punch mirrors, kick doors, dent hoods or pop a deserving driver! Had a city bus cut me off because they ran a light trying to cut a different car off. Stood up on the pegs and destroyed his mirror.

The best is SUVs' and 'spensive sedans. Those mirrors are expensive and shatter quite nicely.

I know it doesn't solve the problem and I don't really care. They actively aim for riders of any sort and they get it in kind should it come down to it!

These gloves work great and have been thru several iterations of wonderfulness and plenty of mirrors and doors...

Old 02-29-08, 07:54 PM
Eternal n00b

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Marin Mount Vision, '94 Bontrager Racelite, Mirraco Blink

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to kick an SUV that was running me off the road. I had my MTB shoes on that have spikes (2 3/4" aluminum spikes), left 2 nice little holes and a big dent in the door. The cops did get involved but sided with me saying it was self defense.
Old 02-29-08, 07:56 PM
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by CB HI
Maybe you could use a glove upgrade for the next time you see this driver:
https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...SeriesCode=281
Oh that's niiiice! I like the injection moulded knuckle protection, I reckon that would leave a 'lasting impression' on car panels!
Old 02-29-08, 07:59 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last time that happened I started to pull the driver out of his semi. The look on his face as I was trying to breach the cabin was priceless, but overall, I really should have just done some urban bike ninja hooey and ridden off without being in the altercation.

I do ride with hard armor gloves and toes spikes, though.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 02-29-08, 08:18 PM
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keisatsu
I had to kick an SUV that was running me off the road. I had my MTB shoes on that have spikes (2 3/4" aluminum spikes), left 2 nice little holes and a big dent in the door. The cops did get involved but sided with me saying it was self defense.
I've had to smack a few windows to avoid that but a good hard smack usually gets their attention. I'd increase to window smashing level quickly though.

Glad to hear you're okay Cyclaholic. I got pretty angry just reading your post. Good job folding that *****hole's mirror. Too bad you couldn't smash that idiot in the face.
Old 02-29-08, 08:49 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you're OK OP. Why didn't you hijack the truck Mad Max style?

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-29-08, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You GO my friend!

I am usually a pacifist when it comes to relating to the rest of the world. Most folks that do stupid stuff are just ignorant, so I cut 'em slack....

In THIS instance, I fully agree and support you in your retaliation. This fella is living on another planet and he needed a broken mirror to bring him back down to earth. Hope your little dose of therapy helped!

For everyone else out there - always use your best judgement and keep a cool head. If you're gonna retaliate, have a plan for when things go bad... Here in the USA you never know when someone's got a weapon and is lookin' for an excuse to use it. Hard to ride faster than a speeding bullet!

All that said - I really enjoyed the story. Made my day!
Old 02-29-08, 09:09 PM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly tell drivers...Don't piss off the cyclists...they laugh when I explain what happens...They think I exagerate

What really enraged me is that I could see him looking at me, laughing, and giving me the finger through his great big side mirror. I sprinted after him and caught him at the next red. He was stopped in traffic but as I approached I could see his front wheel turning and him looking at me through his rearview. As I expected he deliberately lunged forward to block my path (or more likely to hit me) as I approached. Fortunately for me he didn't have enough room in front of him to fully block me... and I was anticipating the move. I landed a perfect punch to his rear view mirror and smashed it as I went past. It folded forward right around and hit his windshield.

Footnote: Don't try this unless you're wearing a stury pair of gloves. I use and highly recommend these. There's a lighter model I use in summer.....
Old 02-29-08, 10:13 PM

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of temp are those gloves good to OP?
Old 02-29-08, 10:20 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's morning peak hour, I'm nearly at my destination in fairly heavy city traffic. I'm the last in line and make a left at a green light at a cross intersection (remember, we drive on the left here). I'm almost completed the turn when a small delivery truck runs the red from what would have been my right hand side before making the turn.

He starts honking as he comes up beside me (I'm right in the middle of my lane) then he starts swerving into me, still honking. I react by swerving away but he manages to sideswipe me. I managed to stay upright even though for a fraction of a second I thought I was dead. I hit the brakes and manage to stop just before getting pancaked between the truck and the first parked car. I swear there wasn't more than 3 or 4 inches left between the truck and the car.

I'm glad you're ok.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 02-29-08, 10:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still waiting for when one of your Australian garbage trucks tries to take out a cyclist with those robotic arms type story. Your's was pretty good, but no robotic manipulating arm. Better yet, the robotic arm swoops down and plucks you up to safety, right before a car t-bones you. It could happen. Geeze, I hope the cyclist would be wearing a helmet cam then. Oh... yeah, glad you're okay.
Old 02-29-08, 10:55 PM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Judging by some other posts...It sounds like Aussie drivers are pretty tough!
Old 02-29-08, 11:00 PM
^posier than thou

Bikes: black 62cm IRO Angus w/Fusions on Phil hubs, Sugino 75 cranks, Soma track drops

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, that's F'd up! If that happened to me I would do all that I could to track him down. I would find out where he lives, then visit his house and completely destroy his car - puncture all tires, break windows, create dents, etc. I would be SOOO pissed.

I'm a newbie biker. This story makes me want some nice gloves
Old 03-01-08, 12:20 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JusticeZero
This is Australia. The police weren't going to get involved regardless, I know from dealing with similar incidents myself.

That is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.