Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Polar F4 hrm won't work

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Polar F4 hrm won't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 06:45 PM
Serotta Legend newbie

Bikes: Serotta Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar F4 hrm won't work

Very frustrating. I bought one from REI for my wife. She followed directions, but the readings were all over the place. It would be working, then, it would be on zero. Even after our ride, just walking around, the readout was wrong. The strap was good and consistently tight. We called REI and they asked that we come in and switch for another one; watch and strap. Same problem with the second one.

Based on your experience, is this unusual?
Old 03-02-08, 08:37 PM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you moisten your skin under the strap before putting it on? I have two HRMs, one for my wrist and one around my chest, and the problems you describe usually come to me when electrical contact between the sensor and my skin is not the best. A little water works for me until I begin to perspire enough to insure good contact. There are also special gels for preparing the skin's contact with the sensor. Someone once posted that he uses ordinary K-Y Jelly, and then washes it off of the chest strap after the ride.
Old 03-02-08, 08:42 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Mine didn't work consistently until I moved it a lot higher on my chest. Also, I can get very high readings that jump up in the 200s then back down to the 130s within a few seconds if the shirt has a lot of static charge. This has been called "flapping jersey syndrome" here at BF. The dry winter air makes this worse.
Old 03-02-08, 09:47 PM
Serotta Legend newbie

Bikes: Serotta Legend

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, thanks. My wife moistened her skin prior. And, get this; on our last ride, we went 30 miles. Plenty of sweat and it still wouldn't consistently work. I assume Polar is considered a solid choice?
Old 03-03-08, 08:46 AM
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never used a Polar HRM. I have a MIO wristwatch HRM and a Sigma BC-2006 with HRM chest strap. The MIO gives crazy high readings or no readings when my wrist is dry. The Sigma needs my chest to be moistened before I begin, but works well after it once starts. I did not buy a Polar because I read that the battery in the chest strap cannot be replaced by the owner. It seems there are plenty of users who have a strong allegiance to Polar products, though (judging by previous threads on HRMs).
Old 03-05-08, 01:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with the F4. Which part of the transmitter are you wetting? Are both electrodes(grooved ovals on the back of the transmitter) making good contact with her skin? You can try even repositioning the transmitter higher/lower on the chest.

Did you try it out on yourself? Give it a shot under the same conditions.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Cjzoller; 03-05-08 at 01:36 PM.