Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Backing up a 2 day race

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Backing up a 2 day race

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 07:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backing up a 2 day race

Had my first 2 day race on the weekend @ B grade. Crit on the saturday arvo, and RR sunday morning..

9th place in the crit
8th in the RR

and now the point that annoys me, They were seperate events..ie you didnt have to do the crit the day before the RR, so you could sit out the crit and have fresh legs for the RR and then clean up the RR, which is what happened.. My opinion is if they are gonna do it like this then they should have a seperate "GC" classification of the best combined efforts from both races.

The top 5 from the RR all didnt race the crit, the next 3, including me did..So i look at this as a podium on the "GC".

Thoughts.

That is all
Old 03-03-08, 07:25 PM
Eternal Cat3 Rookie

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do better the 2nd day after a good hard ride the day before. ie, I usually have a better result the 2nd race. Either way, great job on the top tens!
Old 03-03-08, 07:39 PM
RustyTainte

Bikes: zilch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ +1
I was really surprised how I felt on the day after a tough race. I had way more energy and more confident.
I think the two large roast beef sammiches and three slices of pizza helped too.
Old 03-03-08, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Scott cr1. Scott Plasma.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HTFU or STFU?
Old 03-03-08, 11:16 PM
Eternal Cat3 Rookie

Bikes: 2004 Giant TCR2 Composite & 2006 Fuji Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by substructure
^ +1
I was really surprised how I felt on the day after a tough race. I had way more energy and more confident.
I think the two large roast beef sammiches and three slices of pizza helped too.
The third day can be a doozy though
Old 03-04-08, 09:00 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarmacguy
Had my first 2 day race on the weekend @ B grade. Crit on the saturday arvo, and RR sunday morning..

9th place in the crit
8th in the RR

and now the point that annoys me, They were seperate events..ie you didnt have to do the crit the day before the RR, so you could sit out the crit and have fresh legs for the RR and then clean up the RR, which is what happened.. My opinion is if they are gonna do it like this then they should have a seperate "GC" classification of the best combined efforts from both races.

The top 5 from the RR all didnt race the crit, the next 3, including me did..So i look at this as a podium on the "GC".

Thoughts.

That is all
It comes down to marketing. The promoters are going to set it up the way they think will draw the most total racers.

Since some folks will only do the road race, and others may only have the time to do one day or the other, siphoning off a portion of the prize money for a "GC" prize, may weaken the overall turnout.

Down here, the Crit/RR weekend is usually 2 seperate races. Some weekends throw in a TT, and those are usually run as an omnium.
Old 03-04-08, 01:23 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
These guys may not be cherry-pickers. Maybe they just don't like crits. (Around here, the fields are generally much bigger for road races than for crits, probably because crits intimidate a lot of people).

Personally, I don't do time trials because I don't like them.

It's not a crime to sit out a race.

Bob