Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek 100 and other goals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trek 100 and other goals

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 100 and other goals

I know it's a little late for 2008 goals, but I'm just coming out of hibernation, and my thoughts have returned to cycling though we are still in the midst of Winter here. So I decided to set some goals... riding my first century on June 7th is the first. I may be underestimating the effort involved, but I've got 14 weeks to prepare, so here goes... I just hope the snow melts before May 1st

My other goal is to lose 53 lbs before my 53rd birthday. 8 months for that one. I should never have started reading Heft on Wheels - that's what got me started on this. Then I picked up "Bike for Life" - next it will be "Long Distance Cycling". I hear there's a little event in France during August 2011 - just a dream.

Rich
Old 03-05-08, 12:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are great goals. I should dedicate myself to losing 20 pounds - as a start.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 03-05-08, 12:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Toms right- Too heavy a weight loss too quickly and you will have to buy new cycling clothes. Mind you- The 50+ jerseys may get a re- run in the meantime.

20 lbs seems reasonable if you are planning a century ride in 14 weeks- and don't lose it all before then either.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-05-08, 05:39 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Toms right- Too heavy a weight loss too quickly and you will have to buy new cycling clothes. Mind you- The 50+ jerseys may get a re- run in the meantime.

20 lbs seems reasonable if you are planning a century ride in 14 weeks- and don't lose it all before then either.
Not much danger of that, I'm afraid. I'd be happy to lose 20 lbs in the next 4 months. Starting at 237, by the way. I just wanted a goal I could remember - "53 by 53" !

Now I just need a little extra incentive - like a new bike when I reach my goal weight.
Old 03-06-08, 06:11 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never needed to lose much weight, but when I needed to lose about 15 lbs. and took a 1200 mile tour down the west coast to help do so, I was chagrined to find I had gained 2 lbs. after 4 weeks of riding. But man, were my legs in shape!

From all I've heard and read a slow, gradual weight loss is the healthiest and most likely to "stick".

14 weeks is enough time to get in shape for a century, especially if you've already been riding some. Ride at least 3 or 4 times a week, maybe 30 miles each time with occasional longer rides. Gradually make your longer rides up to 50 or 60 or even 70 miles. Then don't ride the three days before the century. You'll be fresh and ready. If you're like me it will still be a significant challenge. I've never ridden a century that was "easy". The best I ever did was when I felt really good until about mile 80. Then those last 20 were typical drag-my-butt-home miles.

Don't be too proud to abort the ride if you must - don't beat yourself up too badly. But I'd recommend not quitting at the first inclination. On my last century I was worried about my conditioning. At about 55 miles there was a headwind and I was pooped. I tried to call my wife to come pick me up but there was no cell phone reception. I kept riding. The turnaround point was at 62 miles. I took a nice sandwich break and sat in a comfortable chair. (Still no cell phone reception.) When I got back on the bike the wind was now at my back and the rest rejuvenated me! From mile 62 to about mile 80 I actually enjoyed myself! The last 20 was drag-my-butt-home time, but I knew by then I would make it. And I did. I was very glad I hadn't been able to call my wife.
Old 03-06-08, 06:37 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice, BigBlue... perhaps a century at the end of the season rather than the beginning would be wiser, but if I have to bail at the metric century mark, so be it. I'll just have to see how much I can prepare.

Tomorrow's low temp is 7F, so won't be out on the bike for a while. I have returned to spinning class, so will do that 3-4X per week until it warms up. It will be easy to get out twice a week for 25-30 miles, but I will need to take it up a notch or two to prepare for the century.

Which means more riding after work and less dinner - helping to fulfill goal #2
Old 03-06-08, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slow and gradual is the way to go. There are three rules to losing weight. (1) Eat less crap (you know what it is); (2) Eat more good stuff (you also know what that is); (3) Eat less.

Throw in some exercise and the weight melts away. It's a lot harder than it sounds, but following those rules is the way to go.

Exercising will not make you lose weight. Exercising vigorously makes you hungry; proper diet makes you lose weight.
Old 03-06-08, 09:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
(1) Eat less crap (you know what it is.
I should never have started this during Girl Scout Cookie season